Hepatitis C Community
Weight Gain Post Treatment

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Weight Gain Post Treatment

OK, I've seen other questions regarding this issue, but they were all old posts...so....
I went through 48 weeks of Pegintron treatment and lost about 15 lbs.  I was @ 121 when I started.
I am only 1 month post treatment and have already gained 22 lbs back!  I am going to the gym daily and eating healthy - nothing is helping - I am gaining aproximately 2 lbs per week.  When will it stop???  How much more am I going to gain???
I know 128 lbs may not sound like a lot, but I'm only 25 and short.
This is friek'n me out.  Help.
Have you checked your thyroid (TSH) number to see if anything is offkilter there? I went from hyper thyroid to hypo thyroid and well gainned back all the weight I lose plus a bunch. Then I had to DIET which was horrid and dreadful - after being so hungry for so long and wanting to taste real non-medicine tasting food well........terrible~!

I'm 3 years post treatment and just almost back to normal now.

It takes a while and doens't seem to be as easy as it was in years gone by. I'm not sure if it's a result of the interferon or that we're all getting older but darn sure not fun whatever.

Hang in there and keep as active as you can - it's unfortunately the only way (and does mean we are healthy again right?) On a side note: make sure you watch your cholesterol mine was always perfect but then that went up tremendously................didn't start to go down until i started to loose weight.

Good luck to you - I know the frustration of going holy moly at this rate I'll be at 200 in a few months! But it will level out, even if you have to help it do so!
Hey Robert
I am going through the same thing!  I have been eating healthy, and working out 5 days a week and have been gaining.  About 6 pounds (pound a week).
I figure hopefully, as our bodies adjust and balance out, things will get better.  I hope D;
Try not to freak out.  If we keep doing the right things that's all we can do.
V
After thought:  I should probably quit complaining.  At least I'm not sick for the first time in a year - Thank You God that I made it through.

I lost pretty much No weight during my tx (48 weeks).  After tx, I gained...prob about 10 lbs.  It stinks, but I'm with Robert on this one.....chubby beats HCV any day!!

Defo worth checking the thyroid levels, tho.
I gained lots of weight after treatment.One reason being everything tasted good again.

Yes, I am going through the very same thing but I am 12 months post eot! It also happened on my previous treatment however at that time I put it down to the fact that I had just met the man of my dreams and we were getting married. I've gone up by 2 dress sizes and I'm selling all the clothes that I used to wear prior to my 2nd tx.  It's actually starting to concern me as I don't feel that I over eat and I eat healthily  I'm going to get my thyroid functions tested as suggested but it's freaking me out, I feel like the expanding woman.  The thought of dieting scares the H.E.L.L out of me! I wonder if being SVR is something to do with it as well - our bodies are not under as much stress trying to fight the dreaded invader and so therefore we are not using as much energy as we used to? I think what is significant to me is the fact that both these experience really became apparent to me 12 months after completeing treatment.
Hyperglycemia and diabetes are two known side effects of alpha interferons. While your getting your thyroid checked, get your blood sugar and insulin resistance checked as well.