Hepatitis C Community
Weight loss vs muscle mass loss

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Weight loss vs muscle mass loss

Has anyone else noticed that the topography of their body is changing with tx...even without significant weight loss? I have only lost four pounds in 4 months and bounce back and forth between them. Yet several people now have commented on my "weight loss". Yesterday a lady even said, "I like what you've done with your hair." ??? (Hasn't changed in years). But if I look closely, I can see that my face has thinned quite a bit...not gaunt, but more defined, I guess. Every other part seem thinner except for my stomach...seems like it all settling there for some reason. Is this common during tx and can extra protein and resistance training help  me to regain of the muscle I seem to be losing?
Eat organic whey....in my last TX it happened to me too....this time im  ok....GET THE WHEY PROTIEN
gOOGLE harmonized progressive whey
I'm sure I am losing muscle. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that's where most of the few pounds I did lose came from.  School and work and a little bit of work around the house have been all I can summon the energy to do. I pretty much come home from work and go to bed. I'm sure the resistance training will be great if you feel like doing it. I probably will start doing some light weights and machine work once school is out for summer. Cardio is out of the question right now. I am getting my workouts from carrying 12 packs of soda and kitty litter right now!
Be careful with the soda drinks....not good
Some of them are for my kids. I usually allow 2 a day for myself. One at lunch and gotta have my Black Cherry Fresca in the evening!  I'm a two fisted drinker these days. I have the water bottle and the soda on the night table right now.
I am so glad you ask this question.  I did not think I was losing weight and my clothes are not lose.  A few days ago the scale showed almost a 10 lb loss.  My face looks thinner and drawn.  I think I have loss muscle mass, not lbs.  My arms and legs seem so flabby.   I wonder the best way to get the muscle back--maybe through lots of exercise when this is over?  Will be watching the replies with you.
Actually without tx you will notice loss of muscle tone.  On me it's gross, I'm only glad that others only notice that I'm getting fat.lol  The HepC is what robs you of muscle  tone.  Maybe after we are SVR we can take care of getting buffed again.lol   good luck
I have retained all of my muscle mass in spite of being bed ridden with anemia etc for almost 2 years...

I attribute this to the addition of pharaceutical HGH to correct my pituitary dysfuction.
Many with HCV also have pituitary dysfunction, which can improve after therapy, but which is a known side effect of carrying the HCV virus. Extremely rare in the general public, yet it effects half of HCV patients.

In studying done on elderly men the chief benefit of HGH therapy was a measurable improvement in both muscle mass and tone, and a slight readjustment in the BMI index as well. (lean mass to fatty tissue ratio)

mb
ok, here's the deal after achieving SVR - we will all meet in the "Exercise & Fitness" forum. - stacie
The "topography of my body" has definitely changed to a softer, squidgier, less defined version of it's old self!!!
I'm a lot softer and squidigier and these days too.  See y'all at the gym.  Maybe we need a Heppers walk-for-the-cure type event.  We can all firm things up training for it ;)
"Has anyone else noticed that the topography of their body is changing with tx..".

"But if I look closely, I can see that my face has thinned quite a bit...not gaunt, but more defined, I guess. Every other part seem thinner except for my stomach."
-----------------

It's called Lipodystrophy (Fat loss and fat redistribution).

Interferon alters the balance of your immune system and may cause lipodystrophy which causes you to loose subcutaneous fat and move it to the deep tissues.....that's why you don't see significant weight loss.  The fat is still there, it just moved to a different place...like your belly.

Lipodystrophy is considered an inflammatory reaction and is associated with having metabolic changes....insulin resistance...and elevated levels of insulin.  

Co
yes and that great Rodrequezz study of yours mentioned the buffalo hump is from all that too.

I never thought I'd yearn for the day I can walk again...but it's coming soon....in fact I hope next by month...what a charge to be able to walk a block...and breathe again ...oh breathing will be such fun!!

Does the fat ever re-re-distribute?  Or am I stuck looking like Quasimodo forever here?
"Does the fat ever re-re-distribute?  Or am I stuck looking like Quasimodo forever here?"

Experiences from HIV people (where this is quite common with certain protease inhibitors) are not encouraging. Also when they change drugs, the fat doesn't really move back. Hopefully, it's different with HCV.
Well, that's a bummer, that could mean I'm going to look like a round barrel with extremely long, skinny arms and legs for the rest of my life.
I experienced the same thing. If there is any way humanly possible, you should not wait until the end of treatment to deal with it. Resistance weight training is possible while undergoing treatment. Indeed, it may be the easiest form of exercise since it doesn't fatigue you as much as cardiovascular exercise. Exercise is truly one of the few things that all patients on treatment can do to make themselves feel better.

You obviously need to start out very gently and gradually. You can't have the same sort of goals that you would have if you weren't on treatment. But it will make you feel better and it's a good way to combat weight loss.

i know it might seem impossible. Maybe it is. But for me, no matter how bad I feel, I drag myself to the gym because I've learned that a light work out is just about the only thing that will make me feel better.

Good luck!
Well, it's good to know I'm not alone with this. I've resumed my morning yoga now that my strength is back. Also trying to walk each day. But my arms and shoulders are still weak and flabby. I have some hand weights and bands but don't really know how to use them. Guess I better find out! It's amazing how a couple weeks of downtime from sx can affect your body so much.

Thanks for all the input.........Pam
Sounds like you're in a great position to start with some weights. Yoga is very popular these days, but it does not build muscle mass. The way to do that is with resistance weight work. Stretching is good but it won't reshape your body.

The easiest way to get started is by finding a trainer who can introduce you to some exercises and give you a program. I don't think it should be hard to find someone who is mature and knowledgeable enough to give you a program fitted to your tx-ing. I hate to say this, but all of us tx-ers basically need an exercise program suited to a healthy, vibrant 72 year old. That will do us just fine. -;)

Personally, I like having a membership in the local YMCA because they have all the equipment. As you improve you'll need heavier weights, so you really need a whole set. You can spot me at the Y; I'm the 98lb weakling doing my workout among all the big, brawny guys.

Good luck!!
Thanks for the info. At this point, a "healthy, vibrant 72 year old" sounds like something to strive for....:-)

Pam
Intereron eats muscle, or so was how my NP simplified the process. Given this, then some on treatment will lose significant weight (muscle and fat) while others like yourself will maintain or gain weight because the lost muscle is being replaced by gained fat. In both cases muscle is lost and can be very hard to replace on tx although weight exercises to tolerance can help the muscle wasting. After treatment, you can then start to rebuild. For men, check your testosterone levels post treatment to make sure they haven't nosedived as this can also make it more difficult to put on muscle mass. Not sure what women check in this regard LOL
You mention pharma HGH. Is it injectable or have you found one of the other types that work?   Is it a script from a doc or am internet find?  My brother uses this and it is outrageous in price.

Denise

Oh justme, you are not alone at all, I still fit my size 6 jeans but I have an awful gut.  No midriff shirts this summer & the one piece bathing suit for surre LOL
HGB is controversial and I wouldn't even entertain the idea unless you got the blessing of a good liver specialist (hepatologist) who has your entire medical chart.
I wasn't inquiring about myself LOL.  My bro uses the stuff  in spurts, I did all the searching for him.  Maybe it was for me........to make it easier for myself while searching the net

Denise
I have been lifting weights regularly for ten years. I stopped about 3 months into tx and this is when people started saying I was losing weight. About 3 months after stopping weight training I was getting a gut and my chest was smaller. The interferon accelerated the muscle becoming flab.

I started working out again after treatment and it took a little while but i regained my muscle tone and then some. Weight traing by itself has an anabolic effect and increases the amount of HGH that your body makes. So I would weight train no matter what age you are anyone can benifit from it. This is a fact.

Bobby
Pam - I gave up the weights but I am using the heavy duty bands - you can actually "sit" on the couch and tone your arms and legs.  It takes less energy but it will keep your arms & legs toned.  I consider it a maintenance program until I'm done with tx.  I found the best ones at Sears, small with more resistance.

It also helps with RLS and just the general restlessness many of us experience.

-Stacie
I have a set of three of the bands....and the sad thing is....I'm afraid of them! I think I need to find a video online or maybe youtube that would show me how to use them properly. It can't be THAT hard........
If anybody finds video of how to use the bands, please post the link.

jd
My muscle went totally during tx, they are slowly coming back, even without exercise. 2 weeks post tx now. I will start going to the gym this week.

I got bands too, but was using them for Pilates before tx. Don't know how to use them otherwise.
It would be interesting to know how too use them.
I started losing muscle mass during tx only because I stopped exercising. Once I started, halfway through tx I got my muscle back.
I haven't been able to formally work out during tx but cleaning the house top to bottom once a week is a pretty good workout.  Cardiovascular, weight training, resistance training, it's all there.  I have lost some muscle but not nearly as much had I not been active.
My weight has remained fairly constant throughout tx, but I am really "fluffy"  Muscle tone went right out the window.  

I do notice when I am consistant with my excercise it does come back fairly quickly. But then I end up on the couch again for 2 weeks and go fluffy again. Right now I am beginning a 10 week mission to get back in shape for EOT.
Lost 10 pounds in the first 2 mos.  Look 5 years older from the dehydration.  I am too pooped to do much more than laundry, dishes & driving.

Oddly, I have noticed a few beneficial changes.  My knees don't hurt when I stand up after a movie; must have been over-using them before and needed to rest them.  Best of all, I have had uterine fibroids for about 9 years, huge masses that distended my abdomen.  They are completely gone and I've reclaimed my waistline.  Did some research and found interferon as a proposed treatment for fibroids!  I do pity any poor woman who takes interferon for a non-lifesaving cause.  I'd never want to go through this for vanity!
Any tips for getting started and sticking with heavy duty bands?  

I've never used them before but sitting on the couch sounds tempting.

I'm just afraid of the usual, that I'll buy home bands like the home weights and they'll all collect dust together.

People do find me thinner, even though I weigh about the same. I have to keep my angel wings hidden. They've been my total downfall on treatment. No Michelle biceps or triceps here.
well.... it's hard to explain but I will try to get the name of the product to start.  They are not the regular bands these are round, like a cord with foam grips.  They have more resistance than the regular type bands which is why I think they work.  I have only found them at Sears.  I use it so much I snapped one and couldn't find it at the regular exercise equipment places.

ok, I found this site - http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/resistance-band-exercises.html --
But I normally use them when I'm sitting on the couch and watching TV.

The one I mainly use is the Ring (SPRI Xering) the heavy one.  It says it's for for lower-body exercises (legs, hips, and buttocks) but I use this one for my arms as well  -   here's a picture:  http://www.simplefitnesssolutions.com/products/ring.htm

I just can't lift even 10 lb weights for any length of time anymore, I walk like a snail, and I'm exhausted and can't breathe after 3 flights of stairs but I can use these bands and they work for me.

-Stacie
Thanks, Stacie.  I'm going to check out that site.

You will get your breath back, just hang in there!

jd
Those are great! My hubby uses one. He takes it on the road with him, so he can work out a bit wherever he is. They work really well on the upper body.
I’m in the first stage of the hCG SlimXpress Tacoma Weight Loss program . Weighing in at 232 pounds was sobering. I can’t believe I let myself get to this point.

This first stage of the HCG Diet means I can eat without restriction. What an unbelievable idea. I started a rapid weight loss program but today I eat pancakes for breakfast, cheeseburger with fries for lunch and dinner with ice cream twice for snack and dessert. I think I’m in heaven. The calorie load has something to do with the hCG injections and fat.

However tomorrow reality hits. Ill be on a 1000-calorie restricted diet.
They say I won't be hungry because my body will be absorbing about 1000-1800 calories of body fat a day!
This will still require commitment and attention to my eating habits. Old patterns die hard. But I am motivated and hCG SlimXpress, Tacoma weight loss program with the rapid weight loss benefit using hCG injections is exactly what I need: rapid weight loss for motivation, and seeing a slimmer me will help re-program my old eating habits. Come back every day and I will keep you posted, Jenny.