Hepatitis C Community
What Specialist?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

What Specialist?

My son was just diagnosed with Hep C. He had severe symptoms and ALT was 5000 and AST was 2800. Second Hep test confirmed Hep C. The family doc is referring him to a GI specialist. Is this right? Should he be going to a heptologist? Just don't know what to expect from here - pretty scarey. Any info on what to expect next would be great.
I would go to a liver specialist as I went to a GI before and I have had to go through the tx now this is the 3rd time.
Yes, have your son see a liver specialist (hepatologist). They know more.
yes!  it sounds like your doc is sending you in the right direction.  a hep specialist is the common theme for tx of hep-c.  if your gi specialist is not a hep specialist i would ask for a refferal to one.  they specialise in hepatitis and the management as well as the tx of hepatitis. you are in the right group and please feel free to ask if you need it.  you will see there is a lot of good info in here.

keep in touch and please let us how it goes.
thanks for the advise. Hopefully we can find the right Dr. as we are in northern Maine. Will just have to travel. Thanks again