What are rules on discrimination
I have started working one day a week at my son's pre-school (a school requirment).  I had to get a complete physical.  My doctor completed the form but in big letters noted "Hepatitis C Status".  Although it mentions elsewhere on the form that I will be able to fulfill the duties required at the school, I'm concerned that people view my Hep C status as a problem.  I am worried that teachers and other parents will fear that I will somehow transmit the disease to their child by direct contact while either trying to break up a fight or unwittingly getting a cut or injury at school and then touching another child.  Both my son's and my husband are all Hep C negative.
Although I understand the need to inform parents and teachers of any potential problem, should I go back to the doctor and have her clarify on the form that with due care my status shouldn't pose a problem or interfer with my duties.  I can supply results of my son's blood tests to show that they do not pose a risk.  Do I have any recourse if the school requests that I remove my son b/c I am not able to fulfill the parent participation portion of my responsibilites?  Are people w/ Hep C viewed as having a disability and therefore protected by the law? The school is very unique and well suited for my son.  I do not want my status to interfer with my son's schooling nor do I want anyone to be afraid of me.
By your nickname, do I assume you are from LA? If so, I'm sure they must be more sofisticated that that. The old Hep C tales have long been squashed, and I can't envision you having a problem with that, other than being eliminated from physical activity like gym, that could possible cause injury.

However, if you're from Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, or Georgia, you might have a problem. Hope I didn't offend anyone.
Everyone at work knows my staus so if I cut myself or have an accident they handle it things properly.  The one or two who've had any kind of problem will never learn under any circumstance, (barring a diagnosis of Hep C for themselves).  I will never NOT tell someone for fear of their fear.  I don't shout my status but if anyone asks, I tell them and educate where needed.  In the last 3 years 4 of the people I've talked to identified risk factors, from unsafe drug use to air-gun vacinations to shared razors got checked and found they had Hep C.

Kim