Hepatitis C Community
What are rules on discrimination
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

What are rules on discrimination

I have started working one day a week at my son's pre-school (a school requirment).  I had to get a complete physical.  My doctor completed the form but in big letters noted "Hepatitis C Status".  Although it mentions elsewhere on the form that I will be able to fulfill the duties required at the school, I'm concerned that people view my Hep C status as a problem.  I am worried that teachers and other parents will fear that I will somehow transmit the disease to their child by direct contact while either trying to break up a fight or unwittingly getting a cut or injury at school and then touching another child.  Both my son's and my husband are all Hep C negative.
Although I understand the need to inform parents and teachers of any potential problem, should I go back to the doctor and have her clarify on the form that with due care my status shouldn't pose a problem or interfer with my duties.  I can supply results of my son's blood tests to show that they do not pose a risk.  Do I have any recourse if the school requests that I remove my son b/c I am not able to fulfill the parent participation portion of my responsibilites?  Are people w/ Hep C viewed as having a disability and therefore protected by the law? The school is very unique and well suited for my son.  I do not want my status to interfer with my son's schooling nor do I want anyone to be afraid of me.