Hepatitis C Community
What can we do?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

What can we do?

My son age 17 was in the hospital  in the beginning of the month with a CPK count of 40115  ALT of 135 and AST of 515.  My question is what caused all of these numbers to be so high.  He was tested for  Hepatitis and the results came back negative.  His CPK counts are now back to normal. However his AST score was 70 on the 9th and his ALT was 109. He was retested on the 18th and his AST is 64 but his ALT went up to 141 again.  

I am afraid he is going to have damage to the liver.  What should I do?  Are there any tests the doctors can do it find out what is causing these scores to be so high?  

He is currently having back pain and headaches again and very tired .  He is still yellow with jaundice.
Hi - I am sorry you and your son are struggling.  Your ALT/AST can be elevated for a number of reasons not limited to Hepatitis.  Since you know your son is negative for Hepatitis, I urge you to find the right venue for your questions.  Someone here may have experience with CPK but I hope you find appropriate medical care if you don't already.  There are tests they can do and they should be able to give you answers - they must -or find someone better. Sometimes you really have to fight for good care.

Good luck and hope it all works out for you both.
Your question was already answered on Aug 23rd. The answers won't change no matter how many times you ask the same question. Take the advice that was given at that time please. Hopefully you will get some advice on the Liver Disease forum. In the end only a doctor can diagnose and treat your son. We are not doctors here. We are people who have been affected by hepatitis C here and are not experienced with all liver diseases or other types of disease. Perhaps it would be better to focus your concern for answers on the medical specialists that know the true status of your sons health.

Good luck.
Regards.
Hector