Hepatitis C Community
What do my results mean?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

What do my results mean?

I was told that a RIBA test is being done on my blood after anti-HCV tests produced a positive result of 2 on a scale from 1-8. I am very confused as to whether this is the same as the s/co ratio? If so, does this seem like a positive (no pun intended!) sign? Is this a weakly positive/reactive reading?

Very nervous :(
Some very smart people will come along soon and explain. In the meantime you are stuck with me. You had a test for HCV antibodies. I am not familiar with the scale but do know there can be false positives. Apparently you fall towards the low end and as you say its a weak positive for HCV antibodies. RIBA is another antibody test. Obviously it will either confirm, deny, or be as indeterminate as the original test. If it's the first or last one a PCR will be scheduled. The PCR tells whether any antibodies are active are not and if active what the viral load is. Hope that is of some help. Best of luck.
Sorry, it's not whether the antibodies are active but if there is an active virus.
I would agree with James that on the antibodies test you had showed a weak reactive ,therefore the Riba test  was ordered.
The Riba will confirm  whether or not this was a false postive or you "were" or "are" currently infected with HCV.
With a weak reactive often the result is a false positive.
Good luck with the Riba .
Will
Sorry.  The Riba will confirm whether or not this was a false positive on your antibody test ,however if the Riba is positive you will need the PCR test to ascertain current or past infection .
Best ..
Will
Your EIA test results are showing a weak positive so you have been refered to the RIBA test to confirm that HCV antibodies are present in your blood. Even if the RIBA test confirms antibodies are present this does not mean you have an active HCV infection, 20% of all people who come in contact with HCV clear the virus through their own immune system but will always test positive for the antibodies. If the RIBA test comes back positive then you will be refered to a HCV RNA PCR test which will be able to confirm an active HCV infection. Follow this link and it will show you proper testing procedure for HCV.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/1999/0101/p79.html
You type faster :)
thank you everybody :) it means a lot
actually I just found out--by searching out my medical records online--that the dr lied over the phone, and my s/co ratio is in fact 2.22. this does not seem much of a leap from 2, but still, can't believe the doctor would mis-report??