Hepatitis C Community
What does all this mean?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

What does all this mean?

I have just found out that I have type 1 hcv and my liver biopsy came back saying I'm at stage 2. I would really like to know what all of this means.
I'm 55, been married to a wonderful man for only 3 1/2 years after 21 years of an abusive marriage, and I still have 2 children at home. A girl who is 11 and a boy who is 13. I'm wondering what the future is for them based on my diagnosis.
Hi Diane,

You had some answers to your original post from this morning here:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/What-does-all-this-mean/show/1182217

And I’ll repost my comment to you earlier:
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Diane,

Welcome to the discussion group. First and foremost, don’t panic; the likelihood of dying from Hep C (HCV) is very low. Only around 5% of us will eventually succumb to this illness; and the fact that you’re now only stage 2 might reinforce this.

Has your doctor discussed the possibility of treatment with you yet? There are pors and cons regarding this subject not everyone requires or will benefit from it. With stage 2 liver disease, you should probably begin research, and consider it in case treatment becomes necessary.

A good place to help you with basic knowledge is Janis and Friends;  I’ll link you to their page for ‘newly diagnosed’, Be sure to review the section in the right-hand column called ‘other HCV information’ too; this has data on understanding biopsy results, genotype, transmission, etc.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to flag someone down in here and ask; we’ll be more than happy to help.

Best of luck, and welcome again—

Bill
Thanks for the response. I didn't know how to find it yesterday so reposted.

My doctor has told me about the weekly injections and 5 pills a week. This was before I got my biopsy, and he was saying that if the biopsy came back with no damage I wouldn't need it, which kind of made me feel like he thought it would, but now that I got the results I'm figuring that he is going to have me start the treatment. My next appoint isn't until the 10th of March, so I was wanting to find out as much as possible before hand so I could ask the right questions. My doctor isn't one to freely give details... you kind of have to pull them out of him.

I don't see the link to Janis and Friends that you mention above. It sounds like a place to learn a lot more.

Thanks again for the input,
Diane