Hepatitis C Community
What exactly is hep c "reactive" mean?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

What exactly is hep c "reactive" mean?

I have been in the healthcare field for quite some time as a stna but just recently became a lpn and I have given blood so many times and nothing was ever found to be abnormal.  I had a needle stick the other night at work and had to have my blood drawn to be checked for hep and hiv.  Today my boss calls me and says I am reactive for hep c!!!!!  This just blows my mind and is so  scary! I dont understand and did get an appointment at my dr for tomorrow morning.....Does this mean i have hepatitis C????
Hi there..It sounds like you have tested positive(reactive ) for the  Hepc Anitibodies. Now you will need follow up testing  either by the Riba(recombinant immunoblot assay) or the HCV RNA PCR to ascertain whether or not you have active infection.

It may mean a false positive or that you had been exposed  to the virus and have cleared it by your own immune system or  as I mentioned have active HCV

.http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/hepatitis-c/tab/test

Your doctor should run one of these two tests when you see him tommorow.

Welcome to the group .there are lots of good folks here to answer any questions you may have..
Will
A ‘reactive’ HCV antibody test could mean you were exposed to the HCV virus at some point in the past. However, there is a significant chance this was a false positive test. Additionally, about 20% of patients who are indeed exposed will clear the virus with their own immune response in the acute phase (initial six months) of infection.

As Will said, additional confirmation will be required to rule out active, RNA infection.

Good luck; let us know what you discover,

--Bill
It's a lab result that's "reactive"... doesn't mean you have to be immediately "reactive" as well!  Take a deep breath... exhale... don't panic.  Needle stick situations can be very anxiety-inducing, but it's not the end of the world... take things one step at a time... you didn't mention whether you knew for fact if the patient was viral-positive, but remember that hcv & hiv testing is standard procedure, and does not mean the patient you encountered necessarily has either, testing is really precautionary.

Will and Bill are correct in that a 'reactive' Ab test is not conclusive of anything... means you should test again, certainly, but does not mean you have hep c.  Certainly good that your HIV test did not raise concerns, but at this juncture you should not jump to conclusions.  Do follow up with your employer and health provider to do further testing.  Hope that helps, and good luck. ~eureka