Hepatitis C Community
What happened to my Eyelashes?!!

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

What happened to my Eyelashes?!!

Hi all,

I'm on week 12 of tx and lately I noticed that my lower lashes are missing in some places and my upper eyelashes suddenly are very short and sparce.  I used to have nice eyelashes.  Even with mascara they looked like somebody cut them off!  I've had thinning of my hair but that's common.  Evelashes?

Do eyelashes grow back!!!!!!  Is there anything I can do?  I hope so.  Please share.

-cbee
I have not heard of many complaining about this one...

Mine Grew... they got so long they would touch my sunglasses when I put them on... (which is actually very annoying)

They will grow back, but if you are wearing mascara, be sure to wash it off, or use a moisterizer to remove it... try not pull or tug the mascara off with your fingernails... maybe avoid the waterproof kind!
:)
Your eyelashes should grow back. My eyebrows grew dark and coarse halfway from the center and looked like devil brows-fit my riba mood well. The lashes became extremely long though. All will be well----later on. frank(eyebrows normal again)
i'm with bon vibant on this one. I had to wear the glasses lower on the nose. maybe you are having some discharge that is affecting them? When I was young, a crusty build up used to make me loose the eyelashes.
also check your thyroid hormones, make sure that is not coming to play.
After I had been on interferon and riba for awhile, each time, my eyelashes on top, grew.  As far as the hair part, I've had times when I lost quite a bit of hair, had thin hair etc.  Then, I've have time, where it got thicker.  It's all so hard to understand these questions that treatment brings up, because the doctors don't even know.  

Susan400
I get also the same and UGLY problem;I am not using more mascara ,only eyeliner to give more life to the eyes!
I hope also they go back after tx,as I stop 3 weeks ago,and my hair is like a baby hair,very thin and my eyelashes are very short!It does not help!
A friend told me to take vitamin B and Zinc,so i take every morning.
Ha, Ya'll are funny...

I didn't get the bushy eyebrows (Thank-Goodness) but I did develope a fine, light colored, almost white baby fuzz like "Lanugo" on my face arms & lower back.. Maybe this was what Chev was refering to... However the hair on my legs STOPPED Growing... which was a plesant sx... LoL

These meds do funny things to our body's... I heard a couple of guys over the past year & 1/2 state that the hair in their nose, & ears had a growth spurt!
:)
Thanks for sharing that one, Vic.  I'm feeling a tad queasy this morning as it is and that really helps....
LoL...
:)
Hmmm...you and Tammy Faye Baker.   Too bad I can't send you some of mine--they've gotten so long they're pushing the glasses off my face.  No biggie, as I can't see out of these glasses anymore anyway.  And Frank, thanks so much for passing your beetle brows on my way.  Nice touch.  I will KILL anyone who messes with my manicure scissors.
The eyebrows, lashes, fine body hair--yep, a real nusiance.  The hair on my legs is so soft and slow growing I shave only every couple of weeks.  Sorry, too much info.  (Nope, no bobby socks or plaid skirt for me either).  When does the hair return to normal after tx?  

I have 2 weeks left, oh thank the Lord!!  I was feeling really, really good until I got my last months supply of poison from a local drug store.  All I can figure is that it must be really fresh cause it is kicking my butt.
My lashes grew and literally hurt when they hit my glasses. They were beautiful though, so I didn't mind. I used to joke that my lashes were longer and thicker than my poor scraggly hair. Trouble was, it was true!!!!!. Inexplicably, after 52 weeks, the hair on my head filled out again and my eyelashes returned to normal. Go figure... I also haven't had to shave my legs in many months.  I don't want any more hair surprises in the next 4 weeks...just want to finish treatment and discover what it's like to feel and act normal again. Your lashes will come back. Definitely follow above advice re: mascara. cheers, Judi :-)