Hepatitis C Community
What is The difference between having Hep C, and Hep C Antibodies

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I am a 37 year old woman.  I had been abstinent for about four years prior to September 2007!  I met a good man whom i love immensely.  I know in my heart he loves me too.  I thought I knew him well enough and I  trusted that he had been extremely honest with me.  So, I slept with him.  We have been together for close to a year now and thought all was well!!!  However, last night he made me aware of the fact that he has the Hep C antibody.  Mostly, I was afraid since I don't know what that really means but of course I am also angry.  I need for someone to give me just a bit of information about this illness and what the difference between having Hep C, and just having the antibody means and whether or not I am at risk for anything?  Thank You, CG
HCV antibodies are produced by our own bodies in response to exposure to the virus; by themselves, they pose no known risk factor to either the patient or anyone else.

What your boyfriend and you want to know is if he is “HCV RNA positive” or not. This would indicate active infection.

Antibodies alone should be completely harmless. About 15-20% of patients that are exposed will clear the virus with the development of antibodies.

Even if he is Hep C (HCV) positive, HCV is unlikely to transmit sexually; assuming that no trauma or blood is involved; this is a blood borne virus, and is unlikely to transmit through penile-vaginal intercourse, or oral sex.

I was married for nearly twenty years (probably infected the whole time), and my ex and adult children all test negative for virus.

Please read the following web page:

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/Populations/STDs.htm

Bill
If he has tested positive for the antibody that means he had the virus at sometime in his life and his immune system fought it off.  He cleared it on his own.  I believe this happens with only about 15 percent of people who contract the disease.  He did not become chronic like most people do after contracting the virus.  The antibodies will more than likely show up in his blood for the rest of his life but there is no active virus in his blood - so no - you are not at risk.  However, if he tested positive for the hepc antibody and did not have an additional test called an HCV RNA PCR QUANTATATIVE to determine if he has the active virus, then yes, you could be at risk but keep in mind hepc in not usually transmitted sexually.  It is transmitted by blood to blood contact.  
Hepc is a disease that primarily effects the liver.  It can take years to before anyone knows they have the disease and by then there is usually some type of liver damage.  
Hopefully, he is only positive for the antibodies and not the active virus.  The only other question you could ask him is if he had additional testing (above reference) and what where the results.  I hope he will forthcoming with you because it is very important you are aware.  Good Luck
Trinity  
Just like to ask a ? on this cause I just dont know anything about this.I had a friend, he also told me he had antibodies and he never got hep c, but my ? is if this is all in the blood, then why not treat someone with hep c with blood that has antibodies or is that way off, or maybe been tried already.
Too complicated to get into but yeah, you're way off.
Trin