What is a normal ALT level?
123
I would like to know what the normal range is for ALT levels. I had a blood test three months ago and my ALT level was 59, (everything else was normal).  I retested 2 weeks ago and now it is down to 48.  Everything else was in the normal range again.  The doctor said my ALT level was high and I need further tests. He said that 43 was normal.  I was taking Vioxx and it made me sick, so I stopped taking it (right before the 1st blood test).  I have read that some labs consider a ALT level of 48 in the normal range.  Do I need to be concerned about this 48???  I don't smoke or drink and I feel fine but I am overweight. Why do different labs have different ranges on what is normal and what is not??  It is very confusing.  If anyone can help me with this it will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
HI,  MY ALT FOUND 50. AND HBV DNA RESULT SAYS "  HBV DNA NOT DETECTED" . BUT IN THE SAME REPORT IN ANOTHER LINE IT SAYS :

INVESTIGATION     RESULT      UNITS
HBV DNA                122859.0     IU/ml

wht does it means.Am i in risk? pls advise.
Maybe you tested positive for Hep B? Does it give a normal range for the HBV test? ALT levels rise when there is an issue within the liver. The actual # does does not matter, anything above the normal range is abnormal. The results of other tests will tell more.
I'm still fairly new here myself and hopefully a more experienced person will chime in.
Labs determine 'normal range' by surveying the people using that lab.  For my lab, normal ALT is 6-34 and normal AST is 9-34. ALT is made in the liver so high levels indicate it is being leaked out of damaged liver cells into the bloodstream.  AST. however is also made in the heart and muscles and could mean an overstrenuous work-out before a test, or a heart episode.

Do look up Vioxx online for potential side effects.  Sometimes the label will not specifically say a drug can harm the liver, but will say that it can cause increased enzyme levels.  (to me that means the same thing, but I'm no doctor). The Vioxx label will clue you in if it may be responsible for the increase.
Are you sure its Vioxx your taking? Thats been off the market since 2004.
And if i had looked I would have noticed this post was started in 2002.
my ALT LEVELS which have come down are 155my ALP 132 ALB 35 is there something wrong
Welcome to the forum.

We are not doctors. We are people who happen to have Hepatitis C.

There are many knowledgeable people on this forum and we do try to answer questions if we know the answers or can shed light on the topic.

However, you have given us very little information.
Do you have Hepatitis C?
If you do, what is your liver biopsy fibrosis stage?
Do you have cirrhosis?
Are you in treatment for Hepatitis C or have you treated in the past?
What were your previous lab results and why/when did they come down?

It may also help to list all of your lab results.

If you can tell us more about yourself, we may be able to respond better.
PS: This is a very old thread. You will probably get more responses if you post your data and question in a new thread. Just go to the top right and click on Post a Question. Then give it a title such as "ALT Results" or something like that and post your question.
I have hepatitis B and my ALT IS Ar6und 154. Plz what is the danger.. Rit now am taking livolin forte. Thats what my doctor adviced me.
This is the Hepatitis C forum. Please go to the Hepatitis B forum and post your question. You will get better responses for your situation from that forum because it is the Hepatitis B forum.
hi my ast is 159 and my alt is164 ..should I be worried?
Worry  is not all that helpful,however obviously a doctor ordered that blood test and it would be prudent  for him/her to investigate further to ascertain cause of elevated enzymes (which can be as a result of a myriad of causes ) one being HCV

best

Will