Hepatitis C Community
What is the difference between interferon and peginterferon?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I am loving this site, but I have not been educated long enough about this virus to understand all of the stats and options for treatments that have been posted.  I'm 1a hep c about to start treatment in a few weeks.  I would like to know some treatment option to discuss them intelligently with my GI when I go.

Thanks to all for being here.

Wilful1
PEGylation is the process of covalent attachment of poly(ethylene glycol) polymer chains to another molecule, normally a drug or therapeutic protein. PEGylation is routinely achieved by incubation of a reactive derivative of PEG with the target macromolecule. The covalent attachment of PEG to a drug or therapeutic protein can "mask" the agent from the host's immune system (reduced immunogenicity and antigenicity), increase the hydrodynamic size (size in solution) of the agent which prolongs its circulatory time by reducing renal clearance. PEGylation can also provide water solubility to hydrophobic drugs and proteins.

This is a long winded and convoluted way of saying that pegylated interferon will last longer in your body than interferon without pegylation.  The original standard of care required taking interferon three times a week.  Pegylated interferon is taken once a week and is more effective since the trough levels of the drug are much higher with peg interferon.

I hope this helps.
Eric
That was great and I thank you so much.  I have so much to learn--including how to spell everything  lol.

Thanks,
Wilful1
Spell check is my savior - LOL.

Eric