What was my risk? Please help
3 months ago I had unprotected vaginal sex 10-15 minutes with a woman of unknown status. Tested negative for HIV at 3 months but now I'm terrified of hepatitis . I have a dr appointment on tuesday but Im losing sleep, please help, was this high risk?
Oh I forgot to ask... I had a full blood panel teat at 8 weeks checking liver and kidney function etc. That all came back normal. Is that any sort of indication?  And how long do the test results take to come back for hepatitis ?
Hepatitis C is not passed by unprotected vaginal sex. It is spread through blood. So unless you were both bleeding the changes are very very low. What you should be concerned about is STDs and hepatitis C.

If you are so worried, in the future it would be smart to practice safe sex as any one having multiple partners should to protect both your partner and yourself. Have your fun and not have to worry.
The only sleep you will lose is having fun not worrying about what has already happened.

This will get you started. And who knows maybe you'll pickup a few things about sex you never knew.
http://www.mtv.com/thinkmtv/documents/IYSL.pdf

Be a responsible adult. Practice safe sex.
Hector
Oops. (I was up too late having fun. ;-)) I meant hepatitis B in the first paragraph.

Sorry.
Hector
Thanks for the response , I am very concerned about hep b as well! I have already been tested go all the other stds including HIV . My dr didnt  recommend hepatitis testing though , I wonder why...
And about the safe sex I have learned from this believe me  but I'm so scared
Most likely are you are fine. You have a very low chance of having hepatitis B or C from one exposure.
Ask your doctor about being tested for hepatitis B antibodies. It is a easy test. A little blood taken and you'll know.
Once you find out you don't have hepatitis B get vaccinated. You will never have to worry about it again as you will be immune. Yes, that easy!
You can be tested for hep C too if you want.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a simple hepatitis B blood test that your doctor or health clinic can order called the “hepatitis B blood panel”. This blood sample can be taken in the doctor’s office. There are 3 common tests that make up this blood panel. Sometimes the doctor may ask to check your blood again six months after your first visit to confirm your hepatitis B status. If you think you have been recently infected with hepatitis B, it will take 4 -6 weeks before the virus will be detected in your blood.

Understanding your hepatitis B blood test results can be confusing, so you want to be clear about your diagnosis - do you have a new infection, have you recovered from a past infection, or do you have a chronic infection?  In addition, it is helpful if you request a written copy of your blood tests so that you fully understand which tests are positive or negative.

Who is most likely to become infected with hepatitis B?

Sexually active adults and teenagers
    Men who have sex with men
    Infants born to infected mothers
    Healthcare workers and providers
    Emergency Personnel
    Recipients of blood transfusions before 1992
    Injection drug users, past and present
    People who get tattoos or body piercing
    Family or household members living in close contact with an infected person
    Immigrants from and travelers to high-risk areas
    Families adopting children from countries where hepatitis B is common (Asia, Eastern Europe, South American and Africa)
Here is the info on testing for Hep C

Q: Is there a "window" period for a person who may have contracted the HCV virus?

A: The window period refers to the time between when a person is infected with the hepatitis C virus and when antibodies (proteins produced by the immune system in response to the virus) to hepatitis C become detectable in the blood.

The window period for hepatitis C is generally in the range of 30-45 days, but can be longer in some people. The vast majority of people develop detectable antibodies within 60 days (8 weeks) after infection with the hepatitis C virus. In rare instances, some people appear to never develop detectable antibodies despite having the virus. Again, this is rare.

The window period is important because screening tests for hepatitis C detect hepatitis C antibodies, not the virus itself. Therefore, someone in the window period may have the hepatitis C virus, but his/her antibody screening test for hepatitis C will be negative because antibodies to the virus are not yet being produced by the immune system in sufficient quantities to be detected.

Hector
Hi random,  have you been immunized against hep B, it's a series of 3 injects given over a period of 6 months or even longer sometimes.  If you already have the antibodies present on your recent labs then that's the reason why your doc won't be testing you for hep.  Also a good idea to get the hep A vaccine, a series of 2 inj., but is not an STD and neither is Hep C.  

If you've been immunized for hep a and b, your doc should be checking the levles of the titers and if they are low you will need to be re vaccinated to stay protected.

Be safe and practice safe sex, good luck!
Thanks a ton for the responses. I'll ask for the tests when I see my doc on Tuesday . How long does it usually take to get the results ?
Results for antibodies are back pretty fast, up to 2 days or sometimes even the next day.  It depends mostly on if they send out the samples or run them where you had the blood drawn.  Sometimes the doc needs some time to review tests before getting back to patients. I'd think 2-3 days would be about what I'd wait before I began calling the office, if you hadn't heard anything by then.

Don't worry too much!  Have a great weekend and be safe....