Hepatitis C Community
What works

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

What works

I have been diagnosed for 10years and 7years ago went through 7 months of Peg-Intron Alpha 2-B and Ribo- Virin treatments on aweekly basis. I stopped because I was deathly ill for the entire time. I lost over a third of my weight and my legs hurt so bad that I still have a hard time getting around. My viral load is over 200 million and I feel totally fatigued all of the time. Thirteen months ago I moved to Arkansas and began to seek treatment from a Doctor. I have waited 11 months trying to get an appointment with a Hepatologist and I am still waiting! Also I applied for S.S.I. and last month recieved my first check. Now that I can afford at least minimal herbal treatment, I am not sure what that should consist of. Today I took my first Milk Thistle pill. I was told to take 4 of them a day to start. My question is, do you know of anyone whom has experience with this herbal supplement and or do you think it may help me with such a high viral load? Also will I possibly gain even a fraction of my previous energy back? I just thank God that I quit using many daily injections of speed, heroin and quite often cocaine. Also I have not had even a sip of alcohol or a puff of tobacco since that time. That is when the Lord rescued me from myself! Thank You for letting me vent and I will answer anyone who E-mails me back! Thanks again.......          M. K..........
Tags: viral
No body should wait 11 months to see any doctor. Seek out a different one.
Milk thistle is good for your liver but it won't do anything for HCV.

You don't say what condition your liver is in. Viral load by itself means nothing.

And yes, don't drink alcohol or use drugs.That's a no brainer.

Do eat healthy food, and drink lots of coffee.
This is Arkansas and I am told by 2 different Doctors that there is only one hep-c Doctor that will see me with medicaid insurance. I signed up to get a bi-opsy and that has also taken over 5 months so far and I keep getting told that I am on some waiting list! I was #63 and now I am down lower on the list probably because people are dying before they get the treatment that they need. Just by hearing what you have already told me, I am going to start making phone calls for myself on Monday. In the past 3 days, I have eaten 15 popsicles 1 bowl of cereal and a bowl of potato soup. Even the smell of food makes me ill. Also, today I started taking green tea extract capsules on advice from someone else. I would appreciate hearing back from you.  Thanks 54savoy....
I don't really understand what kind of treatment do you want to try. If you had to stop interferon/ribavirin combo because you were deathly ill before, it will probably happen again. Do you want to try the same thing again? Because no other treatment is available right now. Interferon is a part of any hepatitis C treatment.
And yes, it would be beneficial to do the biopsy to find out what is going on with your liver. Make sure you get ultrasound as well.
Yes, I guess since I am a lot older now and that my life has slowed dramatically that I may be able to tolerate treatment a little better. Last time that I was on it, I had 6 kids to take care of as a single parent and now I just have 1one 24 year old handicapped son to take care of.
OK, I understand. Hopefully, this time you will tolerate treatment better. Good luck to you.
I really thought an herbal remedy would be available by now!  Guess I was wrong about that one. I will find someone in this state that can help other than this little clinic I have been going to. They were the only ones who would see me for any kind of med services without any kind of insurance. They only charged me 15 dollars to see them but 11 months waiting is really too long and now I had better take over. Thanks......
"Also, today I started taking green tea extract capsules on advice from someone else. "

Easy on the green tea extracts,ive read its too much for the body,a few cups of tea a beneficial enuff....those green tea extracts are very potent...BTW...i had to wait almost a full year to get into see my first visit to the main hep doc,takes a while
im not trying to scare ,just inform you

One study found that green tea is good for you only when used in moderation. While it has been found to prevent heart disease and cancer, it could cause liver and kidney damage when consumed in very large quantities.This is common knowledge

http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/green-tea-supplement-side-effects.html
One pill can equal 50 cups of tea
Herbal treatments are available, but not from the doctor. They are not officially proven to work and will not eliminate the virus from your blood. Mainstream medicine does not use herbals.
Again, it is very important to find out the condition of your liver. You need biopsy and ultrasound. You also need labs. After you get all these, you can decide what to do.
The clinic I have been going to has just faxed over my last liver functions tests. I do not have any idea what any of it means. If you could please ask me a few questions regarding these names and numbers, I will tell you what they say and any answer to what they mean would be really appreciated!    Thanks.....54savoy
Do you know anything about how to read aliver function test results?
Post your alt and ast numbers in here and we can all tell you what is going on.
My alt # is 48 and my ast # is79 Thanks....
Your liver functions are ok-slightly up, but not too bad. Such numbers are very typical for hepatitis C patients. There is some inflammation going on in the liver because of the virus.
Do you have your platelets number?
I  do not see a place on the report for platelets. Could it be called something else?                             54savoy
No, they are called platelets. I guess they just didn't do this test.
I think there is every rersult on this test sheet except platelets. That is why I asked if it could be called something else. I will call the clinic and see if they tested for that or know the numbers. I have also decided to try and find a hepatologist in Arkansas on my own. Right now my mental stability is very lousy and lately I have felt like giving up and let happen whatever happens. I was taking Zoloft for about 2 years for depression and just one day decided to stop. I don't feel any better or worse. A few months ago I was put on 5 mgs of generic valium and it seemed to make my hopeless moods a wee bit better, but I have found myself back in moods that feel like that same lonely hopelessness. I am sure that will change soon because every time that I  feel so down, I will pop right back up and feel like I can conquer the world! I sure hope that is soon! Thanks for listening........54savoy
I finally found a Doctor who treats Hep-c within 90 miles of my house and I have an appt. in December. I am so overjoyed that I may even eat a meal!.........Thank you for all of your time and advice. I really appreciate it. If you wish to comment back,fine. But, otherwise thanks again to you and all of the others that answered my questions......54savoy