What's the lowest Hemoglobin level before transfusion??
How low can ones hemoglobin go before a transfusion is necessary?
hi, my wife went to her doctor last Wednesday but was told to wait 2 weeks for an apointment. Lucky she had a pre  arrangened apt at the hospital from months before to have a medical procedure. It was at this time they discovered her level was 3.0 and started to give her blood. BUT what would have happened if she had a waited fro the docotors aot next week?
You should do something about low blood count at 10.0  If you wait for
8.0 its to low.  Walk into any hospital emergency room with a 8.0 and
you will be transfused on the spot.  I spent many years having a close
family member transfused.  8.0 is to low.  
I have to agree. I was rushed to the hospital last week with a hemoglobin count of barely 3. I was told it was the lowest they had ever seen. I am not a weak person and I was able to function with levels around 6/7 for weeks.

However once I got down to the 3, I could not stand without blacking out. Not sure if I actually fainted, however it was how I would describe a blackout, everything just turned black.

I can not imagine a doctor allowing her to be at home with a 3. I was not allowed to leave the hospital until I received enough blood to get to an 8.
The lowest hemoglobin before a transfusion is normally 8, but it depends on the doctor. My hemoglobin got down to 6.6 a couple months ago, and I received two units of blood. I was terrified at first, but honestly, it wasn't that bad at all. I think the most irritating thing for me was going to the bathroom with the huge IV pole, and the amount of time it took. I was in the hospital for 12 hours. Sad thing is, I'm only 19. They tested my thyroid, and it was hypo. The hormones caused me to have a three month long period, bleeding through a tampon, pad, underwear, and pants every hour. My doctor wouldn't do anything about it, other than put me on the pill or have me take provera. Neither of them did anything. When I went to get my labs drawn before my tonsillectomy, they wouldn't take them out. They referred me to a hematologist immediately. I got my transfusion the same day. I'm very happy I got the transfusion. I have so much more energy than before and feel so much better.
I have been dizzy, nausea headaches racing heart fear of fainting tired etc and found out today my hemoglobin is 7.3. My doctor ordered a 2pint transfusion and I will get that on Sunday. They hope the 2 pints will get me up to the 9 area for my hemoglobin level and then I'll be on a high dosage of iron and hopefully no more transfusions.
Hi Yes I have been ibn the low 7's I have 3 blood transfusions. Has anyone with low HB experienced memory loss?
I just read your comments. I am sorry to hear about you mom but hoping she is doing better now. You should do whatever doctor tells you to do. Please don't take a chance. Low hemoglobin is a serious business and you should not take it lightly.

I would also suggest that while continue to follow the instructions of doctor, try
some alternative treatments which may eliminate the root cause of Anemia.
I was in the low 7 and 8 throughout tx and had about 13-15 transfusions 2 units per time. I think it's sad to read some of the posts in here, warning about bt. It is a matter of focusing on the treatment and trying to go through it without to much trouble. It was always a great feeling after getting the bt and I couldn't have done it without them. Here in Norway, were I treated, my doctor did not want to give any procrit/epo (that's a looong story).
The short version, and what I came at ease with - is that we have to trust that they now check the blood very carefully. It's sad to know that some of us got hcv from bt, but I believe we are much more save these days.
What can be problematic with the bt's is that we develop antibodies..but no danger.

I'm truly happy that I did wat I did - and am still UND 5 months post tx.
And I don't have any problems related to the bt's - not that I'm aware of. Couldn't have done it without..

Good luck - make your tx journey as comfortable as possible. It's hard enough as it is.
3 weeks ago I went to the ER and discovered my HG level was 4.8. I spent 4 days in the hospital and had everything scanned and scoped and found no cause. After 4 units of blood my HG level was up over 7 and I was released as an outpatient. Now, 3 weeks later my HG level is back over 12 and I feel great. When I went to the hospital, I was convinced I was dying. turns out I was. I didn't realize how bad I was feeling until I felt better. apparently it had been a slow progression over months, or maybe a year.
3 weeks ago I went to the ER and discovered my HG level was 4.8. I spent 4 days in the hospital and had everything scanned and scoped and found no cause. After 4 units of blood my HG level was up over 7 and I was released as an outpatient. Now, 3 weeks later my HG level is back over 12. When I went to the hospital, I was convinced I was dying. turns out I was.
Loss of memory could be due to lack of oxygen to the brain. My short term memory is nonexistent.
My levels are normally 6- 7 . They fell to 5 b4 my doctor done anything about it
My short term memory is also gone!!!!  I have suffered long term memory bouts too. I have wondered what causes this memory problem. My hemoglobin has been in the 10 range.......anyone want to chime in on this please do.

Mine dropped to 2 and I was going about my normal daily business.  Lucky (which is really not)  my face swelled up...I had an abcess.  The Dr. grabbed my face & said I don't understand how your able to stand up right now.  He said you should be passed out somewhere and sent to the ER with a note.  He told me that they would have to keep me.  I told him I couldn't stay in the hospital cause I had no one who could care for my daughter.  He said if you don't go you wont be around at all to care for her.  They kept me for two weeks.  I was on 1000 mg of naprosyn daily for 5 years and it caused bleeding ulcers in my stomach.  Getting that abcess litteraly saved my life.
Correct me if I'm wrong.  I think you have to be at least a 5.0 to be alive.  Are you sure you got that number right?  

DWBH
Hi, I was researching lowest hemoglobin recorded and came across this conversation. I've noticed a few people are questioning whether others on here are telling the truth about the low numbers. In april of last year my hemoglobin dropped to 1.6. No that is not a typo. 1.6 was my low. I was in icu for 3 months and received 74 blood transfusion and 68 platelet transfusions. It started out as itp (idepopathic thrombocytopenia purpura) and the treatment they gave me caused hemolytic anemia.All of my organs were failing and the night it dropped to 1.6 they told my family to say goodbye.  
Glad to see that you survived that incredible event.  I looked on Guinness World Records and couldn't find anything.  I don't think anyone should wait
for there hemoglobin levels to go below 8.   I do think that is when transfusion
are recommended.   There are many life threatening events that can occur if
you let your blood levels get to low.  Clearly, you could have died and we
are sure glad you didn't.

Don't Worry Be Happy and don't let your blood levels go below 8.0.
There are many different causes for anemia and there are many different types of anemia. Not all of them are treated with blood transfusions.

As far as people with low Hemoglobins, I cared for one who had a Hemoglobin of 2. He was up, walking around, fully oriented, looked healthy. His only complaint was chest pain. He had Pernicious Anemia and he was NOT treated with blood transfusions.

Guinness World Records is probably not going to have the data on the lowest hemoglobin.
The normal for transfusion in at an 8.0.  And yes low hemoglobin levels can effect your health.  No the Guinness Book of records doesn't have data for the lowest hemoglobin.  The person was looking for records on the lowest hemoglobin on record.  So, your claim the person you took care of said he had chest pain.....would say that was a concern no matter what this person had.  So pooh... the answer I gave was to a person researching the lowest hemoglobin recorded.  I really didn't expect to find the answer in the Guinness Book of records...and didn't.  The fact that the normal time for a transfusion stated on this forum is an Hemoglobin of 8.0.  This is my opinion which majority of medical professionals would find accurate.  You can always
find exception to the rules somewhere.  But it's not the norm.
"Correct me if I'm wrong.  I think you have to be at least a 5.0 to be alive.  Are you sure you got that number right?"
---------------------------------------
My response was partially to your statement above. So, no, you do not have to have a hemoglobin of 5 to be alive. I cared for one patient who had a hemoglobin of 2. Two people in the above thread had hemoglobins of 1.6 and 2 respectively.

No one has said that low hemoglobins are not a concern. Of course they are. However, there are many different causes for anemia and there are many different types of anemia. Not all of them are treated with blood transfusions. You need to find out what type of anemia they have and then decide on the correct course of treatment.

Neither of the two most recent posters on this thread had anemia due to Hep C meds. Their anemia was from other causes, as was the anemia that the patient I cared for had.
I'm not sure there is a "normal", of course this info comes from Doctors and not this site....
------------------------------------------
The fourth recommendation is that transfusion decisions should be influenced by symptoms as well as hemoglobin concentration, although again, this was a weak recommendation with low-quality evidence.

According to the panelists, other guidelines have proposed that transfusion is generally not indicated when the hemoglobin concentration is above 10 g/dL, but is indicated when it is less than 6 to 7 g/dL. "However, none of these guidelines recommended a specific transfusion trigger," they write.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/760919
_________________________________________

I believe this was the original question.  

We aren't doctors and analyzing ones type of anemia and then deciding on the correct course of treatment is a doctor's job.   Persons with unrelated anemia should contact their doctor.   8.0 is the normal hemoglobin before a transfusion is necessary.
  I am still kind of in shock, form having my HGB at 8.8, for my EOT labs.
I will never forget trying to ride my bike with my level that low, my bicycle seat felt SO hard and uncomfortable, and I was too weak to ride even half a block!
It's been a year,and my stomach muscles are still lookin flabby.
   I just keep trying to pay impeccable attention to my nutrition. My new ingredient I am grinding up with my vitamix is sesame seeds. I made a cucumber, plain yogurt, sesame seed and flax-seed smoothie, to build myself up, and still feel like I'm recovering, 1 yr post Hemolytic Anemia.
  Yes, I have a friend with ITP, and she does Procrit shots, but if her HGB dips below 8, she goes in and has the Transfusion. She has struggled with this disease for 15 yrs now,and it is very difficult.
Hey everyone -

How about we all agree that if someone has a low HgB level, they should be discussing treatment options with their doctors? It seems that many factors should be taken into consideration for a transfusion, and discussing these with a doctor is the best plan.

Enough with the fighting. It's against the Terms of Use, and distracts from the incredible knowledge you all share.

Emily
    I just got home from the hospital, was put in the Critical Care unit because by level was 5.4. They did two transfusions and now I am at 7.2 and at home. Next Wednesday I start iron infusion. I will be at the doctors office for 5 hours a day once a week for 5 weeks. Same symptoms of rapid and heavy heartbeat, dizziness, shortness of breath and leg cramps at night.
I am very concerned about what is going on and would love some feedback- I had a lg. mass removed from my chest in June and have recovered from that and a paralyzed vocal cord. So 2 weeks ago when I went in to have surgery on my vocal cord my hgb was 7.6- they told me I needed to follow up with my doctor- o my symptoms for the last three months- bad leg cramps at night, headaches, dizzy, passed out twice this past weekend, tired, warm feeling throughout my entire body, heart races if i do anything physical, shortness of breath, nausea, and I crave ice so bad- thought this was all related to me recovery. ( o also had a heart attack a month after my surgery. So I go see my primary care and it is now 7.4 and I can barely walk- he puts me on iron pills twice a day and they redrew the labs today- now it is 7.8- after two weeks of being on iron pills- so it is going up but I feel worst than I did weeks ago-------So my big question do I wait and see if it continues to go up or should i go into the ER and see what their thoughts are ???  I am scared I have been through a lot and just feeling so worn out :(
Hello Andrea,
You are AWESOME!!! That is sooo scary, you must have felt horrible. I learned through study people can exist at a level of 2. The quality of life is limited but the body lives through all sorts of horrors. The body adjusts and gets used to functioning at low levels some people move at a snail like pace others continue to do what they do while suffering horrific symptoms. Well they have no choice but to go on working and living paying rent etc. Yes it is really real.
I'm so grateful to have found this list of reports, as my docs all try to avoid committing themselves to what specific low hb values imply. Thanks everybody!

I'm just at my third set of transfusions, the latest hospitalization occurring at 4.5 hb from interferon triple (w/boceprevir); but at other times I've been referred to the ER at 6.6. Because it dropped over time, it was not so bad, as long as I didn't have to climb stairs (and temperature regulation was bad). Actually, it was a slightly euphoric state, below, say 5.5 or so.
Here in Germany, the guideline is now not to transfuse above an hb 7 for fear of complications. I have a researcher doc and he says, you really don't want it below that for long because vital organs are not supplied properly anymore.
Apparently, adaption is the key to how low you can go and how you feel it. One thing I found is that docs in hospitals don't properly check your past hb to determine how fast the drop is, so I would recommend keeping track of that yourself, if in doubt. It's a huge difference to lose 1 point in two weeks regularly to losing 2 points a week or (as with bleeding) in a few minutes.

May all beings be well!  
hi all, i NEED HELP VERY BADLY... my mother is 48 years old, she have very low hemoglobin 3.1 :( , dr. suggested to adimt het for blood transfusions but she is not ready for this.. she is doing all household work daily.. having only cane juice twice and had vely little food in dinner... i am helpless please suggest what to do????
hi poonamdesigner,
3.1 is crazy! the original standard i was given was 8 transfusions, 6 ER, 4 non-returner (brain-damage or death). in reality, everybody will tell you that it doesn't work that way because people who slowly adjust can handle far lower hb levels.
i had an hb just over 4 last year and many other low points between 5 & 6 to get transfusions (probably 2 dozen in 6 month). i found hb below about 5 to be somewhat deceptive. i managed to walk the 2.5 km to the hospital and was in a very euphoric state. it's a condition close to death, though, where nurses and docs will come to visit because they haven't seen that before. :)
you can get an ambulance to pick your mom up with that kind of hb and i would; a nurse told me that that is the fastest way to get transfusions (otherwise you may hang around for ages in the ER).
tranfusions themselves are not unpleasant or dangerous at all. i'm not sure what your mom's concerns are but there is really nothing to worry about. i asked the docs whether they ever had any problems with them (because they give you this legal thing to sign) and they said 'no.'
if her hb is really 3.1, i'd tell her that you're calling an ambulance now and then the rest is up to her but you've done your best. maybe the doc in the ambulance can convince her...
let me know if i can be of any other help, eg by talking to your mom or anything else. good luck!
My sister ve only 6.7 Hb level , but she have Type 1 Diabetes also when nurse try to take blood for sister's nerve its too difficult to identify nerve so anybody please help me its little bit urgent ***@****
Do you know why your sister has a low Hb?  Does she have Hepatitis C?
Is she on Hepatitis C treatment?  
i don't understand what 'take blood for sister's nerve' could possibly refer to, nor what 'too difficult to identify nerve' could mean. however, hb 6.7 means that she should find a way to get transfusions now.
it is really important to find out why her hb is so low. if there is no obvious reason, like the side effect of hcv medication (esp ribavirin), the hospital should try to find out, for example, by checking for internal bleeding etc. you can do something yourself, though, and that is to find out how quickly the hb has been falling to where it is now. if you can find records of previous bloodwork, let's say 2-3 months ago and the hb was at 8 then it looks like it's falling really slow and there is no need to panic. if it was a week ago at 14, however, you should look for immediate hospitalization. i'm telling you this because hospitals tend to neglect this back-check in my experience, even here in germany.
good luck and let us know if there is anything that you don't understand.
I have severe iron diff anemia! My hgb is 7.6. I had a blood transfusion a year and a half ago when my hgb was 6.5. I haven't had any treatment since my transfusion! I feel horrible and drained all the time! I had to go to the ER over the weekend for severe back pain and my anemia. I was hoping that I could get a blood transfusion as well! They said that I wasn't low enough at 7.6! I am so frustrated and depressed! Any suggestions from anyone?
Hi you should look into getting iron infusions which is getting iron in your vein through an iv for 1-4 hrs. I have the same severe anemia due to extremely heavy periods and i get iron infusions (Venofer brand) every few months. They are life changing and are less concerning than getting blood transfusions (which I have also had at 7.1). You feel some effects within days and you gain more energy each week. You should also seek to find the cause of your anemia if you don't already know. If you are female and your anemia is related to your menstrual cycle as mine is you can also try birth control pills. I have just started with the pills so I cannot comment on their effectiveness but many have told me that they decrease bloodflow and pain which should help with iron deficient anemia due to menstruation. I hope this helps and good luck to you.
hi koaster, sorry to hear about your challenge.
i had your situation recently. current policy is apparently not to transfer below hb of 7. however, i recently got one with something slightly above 7. i went to the ER, said that i came for my transfusion and that they had told me to come when i wasn't feeling well. understand that these policies are somewhat flexible. i have repeatedly gotten good unusual deals in the ER because i was able to project a certain confidence about my case (and i wasn't a pain in the neck, i guess :)).

try going there in a good frame of mind (i.e. mood) and use the terminology they use (for example here in germany i'd say: i've come to get 'two EKs' because that's what they call the transfusions here and that would be the typical amount.) even tell them, that you know it's ususally 7 these days but you have a pretty good radar when you need them.

from the sound of your message, though, i feel that it's more important for you to come to terms with the psychological challenges of your condition. two packs of packed cells don't make that much of a difference  - personally, i always told myself & others that i respect pain but that this little bit of weakness is nothing. but in whatever way you do it, take it on, i'd say because there is going to be a lot more challenges like that coming our way. this is just the warm up... :)
good luck!

Bet you have Kaiser.  If you do... start demanding early.  You don't want to get under 7.0.   I texted a close associate who works in the ER at a large University Hospital in California.  The current policy is 7.0 in that ER.

Best to you
Hi all, My mother had 4.5 HBG count and got a blood transfusion in a hospital 2 days ago. They gave her amount of blood equal of 4 HBG count. She had symptoms like irritation in mouth and throat(small pimples like structure), irritation in tongue, swollen hands and feet, swallowing difficulty, fatigue and dizziness. What are the things I should be careful after the transfusion? After transfusion she had mild fever once, little back pain and black coloured stool. She has heavy menstrual bleeding and have a disease, I don't exactly know the name but I know that iron in her body passes from the urine. What are the measures I should take to treat her. She is under medical surveillance, but what are the things i should take care of at home??? I am very much worried.
Hi all, My mother had symptoms like irritation in mouth and throat(small pimples like structure), irritation in tongue, swollen hands and feet, swallowing difficulty, fatigue and dizziness. When I checked her with a doctor, her HBG count was 4.5, she was immediately transfused amount of blood with 4 HBG count to make it 8.5. She had heavy menstrual bleeding before, which might have been the cause of Low HBG count. The transfusion took place 2 days ago and she says she had black coloured stool, little back pain and had fever which disappeared after some time. What are the things I should take care of, at home? Should I be worried?? Would she ever recover her HBG count to normal? If yes what are the procedures?? What should be in her daily diet?? Please help i am too worried... :((
Sorry to hear about yours mom's health problems. You have commented to an old post in the hepatitis c community. We here are patients or care givers of people with hepatitis c.

Maybe you could try this community and post a new question by selecting  the green post a question link

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Blood-Disorders/show/930

Best wishes to you and your mom

I'd say 7 with severe heart pounding and you need ER.
But over-all 8-8.5 is severe too as mentioned above. Under 9 is not good.
I'd lost so much blood after my last bleed-out that there were no more veins to use for transfusions so they had to let me go home when I was at 8.5.
It took 6 months to recover from that.
Under 9 you should begin to be concerned.
I  have a mechanical aortic and also a mechanical mitral valve. Also have a pacemaker which I am dependent on, over thr past five or so years I have had Numerous blood transfusions.
My hemoglobin was tested ten days ago and was 88. It was tested again two days ago and had dropped 2 points to 66.  My doc says it has to go below 80 Before I can have a transfusion. Don't know what to do. Have no energy, am freezing cold , shaking and on top of that I have an awful cold, dry cough and feel like I am at deaths door. Waste of time talking to my doc. What can I do.
Tell him about your symptoms and concerns and ask again.

Did you mean to post "My doc says it has to go below 80 " did you mean it has to go below 50 as you just said your level is 66.

Sorry I'm having trouble following your math. You said it was 88 ten days ago the dropped 2 points to 66?. Did you mean it dropped 22 points from 88 to 66 or it dropped 2 points from 88 to 86?
First off both 88 and 66 are waaaay to high for a hemoglobin level and you would never be transfused at that level and even if it did drop 22 to points at that level it wouldn’t be considered low by any means, you may want to find a new Doctor if you are being told those levels are low and reason for concern because either the Doctor you have went to a crap school or has smoked to much crack!!!!!
This comment was from 2015. Thread was started in 2007 I doubt anyone will see your comment
Blood transfusions are usually done at 8.0.   If you are at 8.8 and dropping you should alert your medical provider to start setting up a transfusion.  Because it usually takes a few days and then you could be below 8.0.

If you are currently at 6.6 you should go to the emergency room.  Or call your medical provider or local emergency room for instruction.  6.6 requires a blood transfusion.

Hope this helps

doctor said i am anemic and got a unit of blood then when i urinate it was with blood is it any serious problem
This sounds like a "women's health" issue.  Why don't you post on that forum.
If you can resolve your issue there....call your doctor.  There is many thing that can cause blood in urine.   Some are serious and others not serious at all.  

Best to you
a doctor should know your labs before he sees you for an appointment. Your treatments depend on the results of your labwork.
"A doctor should know your labs before he sees you for an appointment."
________________________________________

Yes your doctor "SHOULD" know the results of your labs before he/she
sees you.  I don't have enough fingers or toes (I have 20) to count how many times a doctor failed to have the required labs when I got to an appointment.  They order them at the appointment.

When it comes to your blood level its very important that you personally know and understand what it means to not be in a "in range".  Its also important to understand that your blood level can continue dropping while
you are waiting for lab reports.  If your blood count has been dropping stay on top of the lab report.   Don't wait for your doctor to tell you if your can get the information right away.  Get it and call your doctor to set up what
you will need to correct a blood count that is to low before it drops before
transfusion level.