Hepatitis C Community
When LFT (ALT, etc ,,) are within the normal range – Does it mean no li...

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

When LFT (ALT, etc ,,) are within the normal range – Does it mean no liver damage occur now ?

Hi folks,
Just a knowledge gap for me. If I take supplemental  like MT (milk thistle) and that brings LFT into norm range, than what dose it mean ?  Can I assume in that case that liver damage is not moving forward or is it just a masking ?
Thank you
Jack
No all it does is mask the damage. Nothing but IFN destroys HCV all else masks the systoms. Damage can still occur, even if you feel better.

CS
Jack hope you dont take this wrong but this question has been answered over and over in the other thread you started a few weeks back. this is just a waste of space on this forum to keep going over and over the same thing. i will take the time to answer one more time, although milk thistle can benefit the liver it does not cure hepatitis. of course having normal LFT's is better it does not mean that damage is not occuring. there are people with cirrhosis that have normal LFT's.  good luck
No.  My story, contracted Hep 22 years ago, normal AST/ALt or just slightly elevate in all that time, normal CT scan, VERY low viral load of 90,000 .... but .... serious Stage 3, Grade 3 damage on biopsy.  

In my opinion, biopsy is the only truly accurate way to determinde liver damage.

Mouse
Genotype 1a, Stage 3, Grade 3
Finished tx 4/13/07
Hoping for SVR on 9/20/07
It's important to note that "normal range" really isn't normal for many healthy (non HCV) individuals.

For example, my ALT was sometimes high 50's (normal range) or slightly above normal when I went on a low fat diet. However, now that I'm SVR, my ALT is in the teens. (14-18). So, unless your ALT is in the teens, it may not be normal for a healthy you.

That said, while you can't use LFT's to diagnosis the amount of liver damage you have -- I would think that lower LFTs are better than higher in terms of how fast damage progresses, but not 100% sure on this.

-- Jim  
my bf has cirrhosis and his liver enzymes Ast and Alt are normal but i understand that when severe liver damage is present...these enzymes might not be high because the cells that release them are so damaged , it doesnt release them into the bloodstream.
while it seems they are normal in his case it doesnt necessarily mean all is well..
normal levels can be deceptive at times.
I was wondering what most peoples alt/ast numbers are during treatment, mine are in the low 20's?
OK, my  understanding from the answers is that LFT (high, low or normal) is not an indicator for the progress of the damage.

Copyman - sorry if I asked same/similar question before, just that the question in my mind had not been closed then.

Since I had Liver resection in the past (due to injury), anyone know if abnormal LFT can somehow related with liver resection 27 years ago ?

Thank you,
Jack
The low 20's is a good sign.
I hope so, I was 200 at week three and less than 5 at week 5 heptimax and I waited the full seven days to take my 12 week heptimax which was less than five! The extra meds in the begining kicked my little butt!
That's very encouraging news. What week are you on and how many weeks left? It's also a good idea to do Heptimax every couple of months during treatment (draw blood the day before your injection) as well as six days after your last shot for an end of treatment test.

Hope it works out this time. Sounds really good so far.

-- Jim
Also, maybe you'd like to refresh our memories on what doses you took, etc. If I remember correctly you double-dosed in the beginning and also upped the riba? Everything seems to point that  more meds equal better results -- if you can tolerate the meds and if your liver condition warrants it.

-- Jim
I started using 800 riba daily a week and half early then did 1400 daily and double dose peagasys for one month, then did 1600 and pegasys every five days till week eleven been doing 1200 and one shot a week going on week 20! "More meds is no fun so don't try this at home"
Hmm. Pre-dosing riba, then high-dose with Peg induction. Very impressive strategy. You're definitely getting whatever mileage exists in the SOC drugs and looks like it's working. Geno 1? Are you shooting for 48 weeks?

-- Jim
Hey spcecst2,,,Your numbers look good!  Your treatment looks like the strategy of Dr. Cecil,,,,is this your dr?
How many weeks you got left?
Quite the opposite. Dr. Cecil would start with start with lower doses of Peg and titer up. Space started with higher doses of Peg (induction) and then titered down to SOC. I prefer Space's approach. I'm sure he initiated this approach himself from research and probably found a doctor who came on board. Few docs get this creative.

-- Jim
This is my last shot with SOC, I've always believed in hitting it hard but could not get it worked out, I just got it all to fall in place for this round, I'm only doing (getting) fifty weeks and then "that's all folks"!! Everyone have a good weekend I'm kicking back and watching john wayne!
Given your RVR, I think 50 fifty weeks is about right on the risk/reward scale. Seems it either will work or it won't at fifty -- so why go longer -- but I have a feeling it will work. Enjoy the Duke on TV.

Be well and good luck with TX.

-- Jim