Hepatitis C Community
When did your symptoms appear after being infected with hepatitis C

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

WHEN DID YOUR SYMPTOMS APPEAR AFTER BEING INFECTED WITH HEPATITIS C?

HOW MANY YEARS?

THIS IS BEFORE DIAGNOSIS AND IS TO DO WITH FROM WHEN YOU 'THINK' YOU BECAME INFECTED.

Symptoms include:
Fatigue, nausea, depression, anxiety, itchiness, or any other symptom associated with HCV.

Please have a think about this, your answers are important to Research.

Thanks for taking the time to answer the question.

Linda McInnes
Never, I never knew I had it until I was diagnosed at stage 3. It was quite shocking to find out.
I was acute so do have a time frame.  While I can't tell you the time lapse between the actual exposure and on set of symptoms, this is the time frame.   I did have symptoms late Spring of last year, brown urine and extreme fatigue.  I give blood every 6 months so know it was between December of 2009 and June of 2010.   My two known possible  exposures were a removal of a hemangioma in February and a tetanus shot the first of May.
Oh - My family noticed the fatigue around Memorial Day

Unexplained Fatigue at times , many years before diagnosis in 2001.

May I ask...research by whom?

"How many years?" .... Appox. 35 years.
The only symptom I am confident is caused by my hep c is acid reflux, which became a very regular occurrence about 15 years after infection.  The reason I am confident it is from my hep c is because it has been greatly reduced during tx.

Other issues that may or may not be hep c related

psoriasis - broke out on my feet and knees at 39 years old (15 years after hcv)
depression - always been prone to it but in recent years it has been tougher to fend off.
insomnia - always has been an issue but has been worse in the last few years.
YOUR SYMPTOMS

No have.

WHEN YOU 'THINK' YOU BECAME INFECTED.

No idea.
From what I understand a huge majority of people with Hep C do not have symptoms until they reach late Stage 4.
For me, its been 37 years so far.
i found out in december 2010 i had hep c 1a.  turns out i've had it for 37 years with NO symptons until 2 months ago.  i've since developed a rash on my back.

belle
Hope you have a sense of humor - I guess you have to with this eh?   I had a rash as well and my doctor told me to take a milk bath.  I said "past ur ized?"   he said, " No, just up to your boobs. "  past your eyes-heh heh
My only symptom was fatigue.  I noticed it about 25 years after the time I believe I was infected.
Hi Everyone

Thanks for your answers.
The research is being used in a 'metanalysis' that has been in progress since 2006 on Fatigue in patients with HCV.
We are nearing the end of it and have found that no study has asked the question about when symptoms occurred and how soon after becoming infected that you became aware of them.

Cheers

Well I have fatigue...I have itchiness...under treatment for depression(even more depressed now)...I found out I had it just by chance during some routine blood tests 2 months ago...when I got it??...have no idea...perhaps dentist...
still getting used to the idea...
I would have to say "no clue" and "no clue"!  I guess I had symptoms but didn't realize they were symptoms of Hep C.  Just thought I was getting older and couldn't do what I use to.
With all honesty I would say I contracted HCV about 1986-1987.   However I was not tested for it until 1992 when my test came back positive.   I had no symptoms other than fatigue that I have battled most of my life, which could of been associated with depression.    Also, at about 1995, I started having symptoms of the skin disease Hidradenitis suppurativa.  It is not a contagious disease, however it is not well known , nor its cause, and I think somewhere there is a link to HCV.  ( but just my opinion)  
After I was tested in 1992, I pretty much went 10 years without any sx other than fatique and then in April 2002,  my world crashed,  lost my job over 23 years and ended up with a major breakdown.   I was hospitilized for 3 months with major depression & panic and anxiety disorder.   During the time frame from April of 2002 until Oct 2010, I have had many liver biopsies where came back stage 0 until Oct 2010 and then showed up S2 G2.  My liver panels have always been normal, never any elevation of any kind.     My viral load in 1992 was at 1 mill copies and over the years came down to a neg <55 non existent    ???   GI always thought my body was trying to fight off the HCV.    He would not treat me with the depression until I got it under control which took a good 8 years.   Finally Sept 12 2011 I got blessed and started Triple therapy with INC.     So Far , So Good.    VL at start 15,000  , 4 weeks UND   Im in week 11 now and will find out in 2 more weeks if I am UND AGAIN :)    
My husband did not have any symptoms of Hep C and was diagnosed in 2007 when blood test results showed a change in liver function.  We estimate that he has had Hep C for 36 years or so.
Advocate 1955