Hepatitis C Community
White Coating on Tongue; Bad Breath; Metallic Taste; Throat Clearing

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?  Around week six I started clearing my throat (especially at the end of the day).  What did you do?  Thanks.  Mike.
I had constant throat clearing, among other mouth, tongue, sinus, and related issues.  It's very common.

Also, please see your earlier thread re: slow response.  I just replied today with an updated comment regarding your inf. dosage, and clearance rate.

Doubledose
Did anything help with the throat clearing issue?  Mike.
I had a dry cough during my entire 48 wks of tx. It cleared right up when done though.
I have had the throat clearing constantly at differnt times through tx and am now on week 46.  Just kinda seems part of it and I have accepted it.  If it gets really dry,,,I use cough drops at times to help. Off and on,,,I also have had sinus drainage so seems like my nose in beginning was always running and now its always stopped up.
Brush your teeth and your tongue.. Try throat drops, or altiods. I am constantly clearing my throat!! But I always have, even before treatment. I think that is part of HCV itself.
Yep, proper hygiene works wonders! Also, Biotene mouthwash has been very helpful. It kills all the bacteria, without the alcohol and burning of similar mouthwashes like Listerene. Biotene also makes a toothpaste. Besides, your dentist will thank you for it!! LOL!
i'd primarily be concerned with the white tongue coating -- sounds like it might be "thrush" (candida yeast oral fungal infection).   it can be treated with topical rx agents that dissolve in the mouth such as mycelex troches.   you should call it to the attention of your doctor who may culture the area to see if it tests positive for candida. he/she may also be interested in making sure that the candida that might be in your mouth is not indicative of a more widespread systemic candida infection -- that would require meds like sporanax, diflucan, etc.

then again, it might be a perfectly harmless white plaque coating and not candida-related at all.   since interferon makes us somewhat more susceptible to this type of infection, though, it's worth a look by a doctor.

stan
Good advice.  

I've been gargling with salt water and brushing well.  The nasal treatment sounds reasonable.  My dentist is a friend and I have an appointment this week.

The throat clearing is really annoying....it sounds common. Mine produces a fairly clear mucus from the throat area (not lungs; I have a chest Xray which is fine)

Thanks,

Mike

Just a final comment on the throat clearing issue.  I think someone in the thread mentionned that it is a result of inflammation from the tx, which I agree with completely.
Often there is very little you can do except wait for each episode to fade, or just tolerate it when it flares.  I think that tooth brushing, mouth washes, and other mouth cleansing regimes, while good hygiene, do not address the real underlying issue:  tissue inflammation caused by interferon.  This is why eyes, sinuses, and throat often feel raw, red, inflamed, etc. and also produce mucous as a natural reaction to the inflammation.  I tried everything, but nothing correlated to the waxing and waning of the symptoms.  Just hope that you do not also develop the severe mouth sores that frequently come with treatment.  Now THAT was a real killer of a side effect.  You cannot even move your tongue, or talk, without tears coming to your eyes from the stinging pain.  The throat clearing is one you can live with.  I just told clients that I was having a 'flare up' of my 'allergies'....  Good Luck.

DD
I also replied again to your question on the previous 'slow response' thread below, regarding dosing schedule, insurance issues, etc.  See below.
See previous thread once again, for reaction to your latest questions.  Good Luck!!!
Check out the thread above titled sexual transmission. Post number three, by Sally say-so, is written by my personal HCV doctor, Mark Sulkowsky. It addresses Type 1's, and the need for creative treatment strategies, and asks whether 48 weeks is enough. Also some good supporting documentation in bibliography. Sulkowski is at the top of the pack as far as knowledge and treatment experience. His scientific foundation is the best out there, and he is a very insightful coach throughout tx. He has seen it all, as far as HCV cases.
Would you have anything to add to my 'Geno 1 Tx Extension/Kaiser thread?  Your comments to MikeD are enormously helpful, as always.  I just want to make sure I've left no stone unturned as far as documenting the case for extension in a tricky managed care setting.
I used the new Halls throat drops, Fruit breezers. They worked real well, along w/ humidifier, and brushing often using a plastic tongue scraper.  Joni
Brilliant summation, raidable works cited....yes, I agree, absolutely the last word for now.   What a pleasure it must be to be treating w/ him.   Real authorities are few and far between, or so I've discovered, and that's true across the board.   And thanks again for your time.
See my response today, under your 'late response' thread.