Who is your good doctor?
Is there someone you'd recommend to others in your area?
From time to time, someone on the forum needs a referral.
Who do you see ? Why do you like them ?
Tell us if the doc is a GI or Hepatologist or other, where they're located and how to contact them.

Although, my GI had suggested I see a specialist at CPMC in S.F., it was a member here who recommended a specific  hepatologist several years ago. He is still my liver doctor.

Many of us refer to our doctors and how much we like them, so lets help others.

(For anyone concerned with privacy issues, by law medical professionals can not share information about patients other than with specific professionals.)
My current doctor at the Lair Center here in Vancouver is Dr. Edward Tam, a young doctor.

http://laircentre.blogspot.ca/

From 1998 to 2010 I saw the highly-regarded Dr. Frank Anderson, but he's now retired.
dr. john polio is a gastro and hepatologist and also professor. he co directs the transplant program at hartford hospital in connecticut. very nice and knowledgable.
this is a good thought O.H. as finding a good doc after u are already sick is not east. best to all in their search.
I have been seeing Dr. Haddad for 5 years. He works will Dr. Terrault helping me manage my ESLD and liver cancer. He performed my biopsy, multiple endoscopies, treated my G.E.R.D. and treated me for hepatitis C. A caring doctor. He saved the life of my friend who was experiencing liver failure that had been told to go to hospice. He has since had his transplant and is doing well.

Dr. Thomas Haddad
Gastroenterology
San Francisco Medical Group
909 Hyde St  Ste 125
San Francisco, CA 94109
415-771-4366
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my great caring and expert hepatologist. I have been working with her for 5 years through discovery of my cirrhosis, hep C treatment, End-Stage Liver Disease, and HCC. Together we are planning my transplant.

Norah Terrault, M.D., M.P.H.
Professor of Clinical Medicine
Director, Advanced Transplant Hepatology Fellowship Program
Director of Viral Hepatitis Research in Liver Transplantation

(You will need a referral from your gastro or primary to be seen at UCSF. Wait times are long as it is one of the best hospitals in the country for persons with advanced liver disease in the U.S.)

UCSF GI Faculty Practice
350 Parnassus Avenue, Suite 410
San Francisco, CA 94143-0657
Phone: 415-353-2318
Fax: 415-353-2407

Dr. Nora Terrault is a medical specialist and researcher. Her field is Gastroenterology and Hepatology. She also holds a Master degree of Public Health to study the development of disease in a population. Her specialty is liver injury, transplantation, cirrhosis, and failure. She consults with surgeons doing Liver Transplants and Pediatric Liver Transplants.

Dr. Terrault and her team conduct laboratory and clinical trials on hepatitis B and C viruses in certain transplant recipients, and study therapies to prevent complications in those patients. This life-saving work also includes therapeutic trials with new drugs to treat chronic hepatitis. Her findings have been presented to the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, the leading organization for research in liver disease.

Her latest project involves outcomes of hep C infection in dialysis patients and those patients undergoing kidney transplantation.

Other Responsibilities:
Associate Editor for HEPATOLOGY and Liver Transplantation
AASLD Councilor-at-Large 2011-2013
Project Echo Faculty

Latest Video Presentation:

Trials of HCV Protease Inhibitors in Treatment Experienced Patients
AASLD March 16, 2012
http://www.multiwebcast.com/aasld/2012/cdc.aasld.stc.hepatitis/19977/norah.terrault.trials.of.hcv.protease.inhibitors.in.treatment.experienced.html
I am glad to see someone from this  area,i had Dr. SaloumUSF also part of TGH group but was extremely dissapointed for many reasons with him -one just not being there ever when I need him He was assigned to other 40 hospitals and doing 45pts in one office day. .Now I transfered to Dr. Daly Clearwater who pays a bit  more attention and his office returns my calls.I am not exactly impressed as he also rushing everything but stick with him.for now. If you k now someone else who is hepatologist or gastro experienced in current HepC   tx pls let me know .Thank you a lot
Don't see anyone from Dallas posted yet so I will add Dr Abdullah Mubarak of the Liver Institute at Methodist Hospital in Dallas.  The Liver Institute is a transplant center and he is a hepatologist.  I have been under his care for this treatment with the PIs.

There is no one to recommend in the town I live in  -Midland, TX.  There are only GI's here and only 2 of them.  One of the GI's had been in discussion with Dr. Mubarak, trying to get him to come to Midland and open a clinic.  It is a possibility that I hope comes to term.
hallo,

your recomendation will i accpet for my brother, cann you send me a emeil DR.  Ira Jacobson, because i coudnot  found it in internet. thank u in advance
ta
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know if NYGirl will see your post. However, I did look up the doctor she mentioned, Dr. Ira Jacobson, and here is a web site about him. It also includes contact information (phone and fax).

http://www.weillcornell.org/imjacobson/

Phone (646) 962-4040
    Fax (646) 962-0433

1305 York Avenue
    4th Floor
    New York, NY 10065

Here are two other web site links for him:

http://www.weillcornell.org/practice/hepcctr/index.html

Phone (646) 962-4040
    Fax (646) 962-0355

1305 York Avenue
    4th Floor
    New York, NY 10065

http://www.weillcornell.org/practice/gastrohep/index.html

Phone (646) 962-4463
    Fax (646) 962-0110

1305 York Avenue
    4th Floor
    New York, NY 10065

Office Hours (for both of the above clinics)

Monday through Friday
    9:00 AM to 5:00 PM

Best of luck to you and your brother.

I second this!  Dr. Kwo was recommended to me by my Dr. in Austin when I moved to Indy.  He is on top of his game. One of the best and brightest I have ever met..
Yeah I finally got me a good Hepatologist here in Sacramento.  His name is Dr. Lorenzo Rossaro and he's really sharp.  Glad I continued to be persistent or I'd still be stuck with my Gastro who didn't seem to know much about HepC at all.  That was frustrating!!  Anyways, take care y'all and remember your doctor pretty much has to give you a referral if you're not happy with your current HepC doc. ~ kind regards  

And to all: What about San Antonio ? (hepB chronic carrier)
You know CPMC does outreach in Sacramento, too.
http://www.sutterpacific.org/locations/outreach/1315alhambra.html
Phoenix/Tucson?
my doc is dr. paul pockros at scripp's clinical research center, la jolla, calif.  he is the main man for liver transplants at the green hospital.  belle
It doesn't look like we have any suggestions in Arizona. One member from your state is traveling to Vegas to see Dr. Gish, who is one of the best.

You could try the Mayo clinic in Scottsdale or check out this site to find a doctor:
http://www.hcvcme.tv/index.cfm
Anyone have some more or new doctors to recommend ?
Please post the names and contact information here. Thanks.
Allison1965's husband, Gary, is being treated in Arizona, I think.  I don't know which city or which doctor though.
Advocate1955
Dr Tom Dinnucci
Professor at Brown University
Practices at Rhode Island Hospital at university gastro
Awesome Dr ,Great Guy and fantastic Dr
He is the guy in RI and southern MA
Dra. Esther Little at the Banner Liver Center in Phoenix, AZ. She is a transplant hepatologist and a great Doc. 1300 N 12th St  Phoenix, AZ 85006
(602) 239-2606...Mark
dr. paul j. pockros at the green hospital in la jolla, california.  he is one of the leading liver transplant specialists in so. cal.  i hope this helps someone in my area.  i had the best care.  belle
Unfortunately hes NOT my Dr....but I wish he was! Comes highly recommended if your in the Los Angeles area.

Jeffrey A. Kahn, MD

Keck Hospital of USC
1500 San Pablo St.
Los Angeles, CA 90033
Phone: 888-700-5700
Fax: 323-442-8672

Areas of Treatment:

Transplant hepatology
Gastroenterology
Hepatitis C
1 more from the same office.....FANTASTIC!

Saro Khemichian, M.D.

Keck Hospital of USC
1500 San Pablo St.
Los Angeles, CA 90033
Phone: 888-700-5700
Fax: 323-442-8672

Areas of Treatment:

Gastroenterology
Hepatitis C
Hepatitis B
chronic liver disease
Liver transplantation

Title:

Chief, Hepatitis Treatment Center

know this is an old post but thks for all the encouragement you did to get others to post.  I'm just bumping this post right now because I was look for it the other day and couldn't find it.  Hope all is well.............
Here in Philadelphia , PA Dr Jonathan Fenkel Jefferson University 132 s 10th street Suite 480 Philadelphia ,pa 19107

I love him he is a great doctor i was a wreck when i went there when i left i felt so so much better and he got me to undetectable by week 4 and i never have any problem calling every time i call i will either get an answer or a call back asap its prolly within a 4 hour window
In general: My experience with hepatologists must be looked at within the context they work in. My history: I. Jacobson diagnosed me decades ago when I was a NYH employee. I went with a family (my in-laws were M.D.s) recommendation next. Then - while attending a series of HIV lectures (I'm in health care) I witness the brilliant, animated, and articulate D. Dietrich...He later became my Hepa at Cabrini in NYC....And later again when he transferred to Mt. Sinai...That office I found (and once again I have practiced in health care myself for many years) was terribly run which led to poor communication and promise fulfillment. Here's my point: Working with an Olympian might give you a false sense of security if you think they will be paying attention to you as time goes by, e.g. If they promise to get you into studies, etc and they work within a traffic jam of discursive activity! I think if my Hepa had worked on a more methodical and communicative wavelength I may have known I was near cirrhosis before arriving there. I dropped Diethrich (as good as he would be if he were present) and went with a more responsive and easily dialogic Hepa....Now I am SVR......My point: Find someone with a great rep....But even more importantly: find someone who's greatness is available!!
How did you decide to go with Dr. Fenkel at Jefferson with all the choices in this area? Martin Black, Dr. Reddy and many others? I guess I'm just looking for reassurance.I have my first appointment with Dr. Fenkel and wanted to know what to expect. Thanks, mik59
Dr. Paul Vargo
Minnesota Gastroenterology, PA
2200 University Avenue West
Suite 120
St. Paul, MN 55114
612-871-1145

Paul Vargo, MD

Professional Background

Dr. Vargo received his undergraduate degree from Case Western Reserve University, graduating Magna *** Laude, then attended the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. This was followed by internship and residency at the University of Minnesota, then completing a fellowship at the University of Cincinnati in 1992.

Dr. Vargo is board-certified in gastroenterology.

Dr. Vargo has special medical interests in liver disease, as well as general gastroenterology.

Minnesota Gastroenterology, PA
Hepatitis & Liver Disease

In recent years, our physicians have seen a dramatic increase in the number of patients with hepatitis and other liver diseases. To enhance access and continuity of care, Minnesota Gastroenterology has centralized its diagnostic, management and monitoring services for patients with liver disease at its St. Paul office.

The Hepatology Clinic uses a collaborative approach to treat liver disease, which significantly improves the quality and delivery of services to liver patients and their families. In addition to our own team of board-certified gastroenterologists, specialists from the Mayo Clinic and the University of Minnesota liver transplant programs are routinely available at the Hepatology Clinic for direct patient care and consultation.

New on-site services offered in conjunction with the Hepatology Clinic include ultrasound imaging and nutritional/dietary education.
Research

Because we regularly collaborate in clinical research studies with affiliated academic institutions, our patients have access to new therapies and treatments, many of which are free of charge to eligible participants.

Minnesota Gastroenterology research staff are based at the Hepatology Clinic to facilitate enrollment for patients who might benefit from participation in clinical research studies when conventional therapies fail.
saw your post .  Do you know of any doctors in west palm or tampa or Miami florida.  I don't expect that you do, but it is worth a try.    I hope you are okey thanx
omg you are the first person to respond to my search in fla.  I am 3hrs away from tampa.  I'm having a hard time with moneyt as I am on disability, but they don't even give you enough to survive as it is.  I am waiting to see if my insurance covers an mri  I have Medicaid medipass,  If you can be of any help, I would be grateful.  bluebird305
Hi bluebird, I see your from ft pierce fla,  We have a long time member here that goes by susan400 that has been posting on the social side that might be able to help you. I do know she is from fla but not sure how close she is to you.......Good luck.
i just looked him up  (Dr. Guy Neff at Tampa General in Tampa Fl.)  - i will give him a call monday morning- i have cousins that live there--
thanks for all the help everyone- i think i waited to long-
   i was a calif state firecaptain for 22 years-they teach my fires at the state fire acadamy. i hate dying a slow death. one time working carmel- i responded to a man fallen in bathroom- as i was questioning him to determine mental condition-- he did not remember being chief of surgery at boston general- or being a doctor, or graduating from 3 or 4 eliet colleges-
I am going to see a hepatologist at the University of Miami in September. I understand Univ of Miami has a good hepatology department.  My previous liver doctor in Atlanta suggested as I moved to Florida and my Florida primary doctor confirmed.
Here is their list of liver doctors on their website:
http://uhealthsystem.com/patients/hepatology/doctors/

Best to you.
sljl

At Fairfax Hospital I saw Dr Peter Scuedera, he also has an office at FairOaks Virginia.
Also Fairfax Hospital is Dr Younousi
Mayo Clinic.  Jax, Fla.    All the Liver Specialists are great.        Kim
Does anyone have a recommendation for a GI and a Hepatologist in either Colorado Springs or Denver,CO?  Dr. Karin Cesario in the Springs is both which would be perfect but she is going on maternity leave.
My md who I think is great is DR Ira Jacobson
Center for Hepatitis
1702 York ave
NYC NYC
Part of Weill Cornell Hospital

Also Mary Olsen is the clinical trial director and she is great too
My Hepatologist is retiring this week from the Navy Hospital in San Diego (he is not an old guy—just leaving this hospital). He is going into private practice in Grand Junction, CO. He is moving there this weekend. His name is Dr. William Wade Shields. I loved him! So if you are in that area and looking for a doctor for your HepC, he is your guy! I asked him I could give his name to my forum peeps, and he said yes! So there you go!
Hi does anyone have a good Hepatologist near Toledo?
Hawk this is very helpful, thanks again, Dee
I go to Mayo Clinic JAX to the liver transplant team. They are some of the best in the US. I have too many to name, but it is a whole group effort.
HepC.com has a "find a doctor" by area.  I put in mine and up came a bunch of doctors including mine where I live.   You should give it a try and see what comes up.

Best to you
Thank you, good idea
Dee
I have actually been to several different doctors/clinics in FL. with all the years of doing treatments and clinical trials and then, private practice doctor at the present time.  I did a clinical trial at Mayo/Jacksonville, many years ago and the doctor I had at that time is no longer there.  I did a clinical trial at University of FL/Shands and saw an expert, Dr. David Nelson - a very knowledgeable doctor and very nice, too.  It's been a few years since I was there, but as far as I know, he's still there.  I met the world famous Dr. Eugene Schiff down at the University of Miami and I was in a clinical trial down there as well. Dr. Schiff is world renown and is very nice, too, but I believe that he's towards the end of his 'seeing private patients in his practice', I might be wrong on that, so don't quote me.  When I got done with my trial at Gainesville, Dr. Nelson referred me to my current private practice doctor in Melbourne, FL.., for my regular 'liver doctor' care.  This doctor is part of a large private practice with about 4-5 gastroenterologists, but I've basically only been followed by him.  The practice is in the Health-First Melbourne Internal Medicine group.., otherwise known as HF-MIMA and he practices in the Gateway location.  Drs. Schiff and Nelson are probably some of the best hepatologists in FL., but the only way I was able to see them was because I was in a clinical trial at their teaching hospital.  I'm hoping that my liver appts. will no longer be a regular thing that I'm going to need since I became undetected for the Hep (hoping it turns into SVR).  Susan400
Dr cecil has a great website.
I was seeing Dr Donald Jensen u of Chicago. Hes retiring now. Not a great bedside manner. I just see my local gastro now.
Dr. Khemichian is great. Thanks to your referral, I got an appointment with him and am very impressed. He is kind, caring and very well informed. Really spent a lot of time with me going over the disease and treatments. Listened to my questions and answered them thoughtfully. His assistants, Susan and Joan are very thoughtful and helpful. Really everyone at USC Keck Medical Center has been great so far. Thanks again for this referral; it has really helped a lot!
Bumping up...just in case :)
Hi I'm new to this site. I noticed your in San Diego? Dr. Gish is not in my network (insurance) and he sounds fabulous. I'm curious if anyone in SD has heard of dr Tarek Hassenien? Would love the feed back!
My doctor here in NY is Dr. Douglas Dieterich at Mt. Sinai Hospital.  Well respect and quite reknowned in the field of Hep C.  You can get more info here:
http://www.mountsinai.org/profiles/douglas-dieterich
Dr. Douglas Dieterich is my doctor, too, here in NYC.
I've been cured now over a year.
He is a recognized expert in the field, and is involved in many trials.He has a great research/clinical team.
He's at Mount Sinai, and accepts a lot of different insurances.
-Mark
Anyone know of a gastro or hep doc in Denver who will not tell me my symptoms are in my head? I have had hcv for 40 years and am stage 4 cirrhosis.My current gastro refuses to acknowledge  that fatigue,  rash, itchy skin,swelling and a few other typical symtoms are hcv or cirrhosis related. Please let me know if you know of a caring doctor. Thanks so much. I am so frustrated.
we are the same-45 years with hep c  stage 4 -I cant help you with a doc cause I am in south Jersey but our symptoms are the same( my leg cramps at night feel like death) and are all cirrhosis related.Find a new doc
Bump