Who is your good doctor?
Is there someone you'd recommend to others in your area?
From time to time, someone on the forum needs a referral.
Who do you see ? Why do you like them ?
Tell us if the doc is a GI or Hepatologist or other, where they're located and how to contact them.

Although, my GI had suggested I see a specialist at CPMC in S.F., it was a member here who recommended a specific  hepatologist several years ago. He is still my liver doctor.

Many of us refer to our doctors and how much we like them, so lets help others.

(For anyone concerned with privacy issues, by law medical professionals can not share information about patients other than with specific professionals.)
I see Dr. Todd Frederick, a hepatologist  in San Francisco:
Specialty: Liver Disease/Hepatology, Liver Transplant, Gastroenterology
He can be seen in San Francisco, Ca. and currently also at clinics in Chico California and Reno, Nevada.

I like him because he is knowledgeable, compassionate, flexible, and answers my emails promptly.

He is one of several liver specialists based in S.F. @ CPMC who also work at outreach clinics in Northern California and Nevada.

For more information about them:
http://www.sutterpacific.org/services/liver.html
Click on Dr. Frederick to connect to the link about him.
Dr. Ira Jacobson Heptologist NYC.  He is one of the premiere heptologists in all of the world. He does not take insurance but you can submit out of network.
Gregory T. Everson, MD, FACP
James "Jay" R. Burton, Jr., MD

Are the monitoring docs of my trial, located at UC Denver Hepatology Dept
Dr. Santiago J. Munoz, MD, FACP, FACG
Professor of Medicine, Director of Clinical Hepatology, Medical Director of Liver Transplantation

Temple University in Philadelphia, PA
Ira M. Jacobson, M.D. | Weill Cornell Physicians Organization ...www.weillcornell.org/imjacobson/Cached

Ira Jacobson, M.D. is Chief of the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Vincent Astor Distinguished Professor of Medicine, The Joan Sanford I. Weill Medical College of Cornell University, & Attending Physician, NewYork-PresbyterianHospitalCornell Campus.

Dr. Jacobson is board certified in internal medicine and gastroenterology, andis a world-renownedexpert in Hepatology and Liver Disease. He is the Medical Director for the Center for the Study of HepatitisC, and is a principal investigator on many important trials involving antiviral therapy for both hepatitis B and C. He haspublished twotextbooks: ERCP and Its Applications, Lippencott and Raven, 1998, and ERCP Diagnostic and Therapeutic Applications,Elsevier,1989. His special interests include hepatology, and endoscopy.

I have shopped for hep docs in Houston since the early 1990's and have met many of them for consults over the years.

Here's who no one should consider doing TX with (I did) or have your liver BX with, Dr. G at Texas Liver Specialists.  If anyone is considering him or is already a pt of his, you can PM me if you're interested in knowing more.

The best hep docs in Houston seem to all be at the Baylor College of Medicine.  They have a large practice with many hep docs that work together and pt's meet more than one if you are a long term pt, it's nice being able to hear each doc's opinions and knowledge.  Another good thing about this group is that they all get together in a weekly meeting to have a look and have a consensus with liver bx pathology slides even after the pathologist gives his report... Then they discuss individualized plans for TX or their recommendations.  I personally think anyone in this entire group is very knowledgeable and would recomend any doc there, however, have never done TX with Baylor so have nothing to add about that...

My hep doc (Dr. Schiff) in Miami, at U of M is very good too, very nice knowledgeable doc!
Oy. I have a sinking feeling this thread might not be such a great idea....Having said that: If it is OK I would much rather mention my Dermatologist, Dr. Jeffrey Meffert with the Dermatology Center at Texas MedClinic  in San Antonio, Texas.

Believe it or not, it is quite often the case that a Dermatologist is the first doctor to pick up on the possibility of HCV since often times the virus manifests itself in some type of skin condition at first (or eventually).

Dr. Meffert is familiar with many of the side effects of  HCV meds, HIV meds, Cancer meds and other medications that have Dermatological side effects. He helped me with my tremendous hair loss the first time around by prescribing an ointment/drops for my scalp that I believe helped my hair grow back fast. Then when I was through treating, I made a solution with those drops, Minoxidol and Azaelic acid and my hair grew back fast and super healthy. That is the reason I am not freaked out while I watch my hair fall out by the glob!

The reason I met him in the first place is due to an unusual side effect I had the first time I treated. It is very uncommon so I won't bore you with that but I eventually healed with no scarring. I do not think I would have fared as well with a lesser experienced Dermatologist.

He is affordable and accepts insurance.
______________________________________
Dr. Jeffrey Meffert is Board Certified in Dermatology and has written over 40 journal articles and book chapters on a variety of topics.  He is also a frequent speaker to primary care physicians on general dermatology issues and is actively involved in the American Academy of Dermatology as a member of both the Education and Bioterrorism task forces.

Born into a military family, Dr. Meffert graduated from Marshall High School in San Antonio prior to attending Rice University in Houston.  Upon completing his medical school training and Family Practice residency at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, Dr. Meffert practiced family medicine in Virginia and flight medicine in Alaska with the United States Air Force.  He returned to San Antonio and completed his Dermatology training at Wilford Hall Medical Center in 1995.  Dr. Meffert was in the Air Force for over 21 years, completing his Air Force career as Program Director of the combined Army/Air Force Residency in dermatology at Wilford Hall and Brooke Army Medical Center.  He has been practicing dermatology for the past ten years.
In Indiana they don't come any better then Paul Y Kwo at IU medical center, lead researcher and principal Investigator for Victrelis (Boceprevir) and Mercks go to doctor. Besides being down to earth with a great since of humor. He's not afraid to treat, or treat outside the norm.

Kwo loves it when patients take this serious and are well informed, he's very open to ideals and doesn't feel threatened.
-------------------------------------

Dr. Paul Y. Kwo is associate professor of medicine and medical director of the adult liver transplant program at Indiana University Health.  

Dr. Kwo's clinical interests include Hepatitis C, Hepatitis B and liver transplantation, while his research interests include Hepatitis C and alcohol metabolism.
In NJ, I highly recommend Bindu Balani Internal Med + Infectious disease.
Hepatitis Treatment Center, 20 Prospect St Hackensack NJ 07601
The best Doctor I have ever had. Lots of experience. She treats the entire patient, not just the disease.  She is always available when you need her and is dedicated to getting you through your cure.
Great office and staff
I think this thread is a great idea and don't see how it can be harmful in any way.   We're not going to get into any 'my doctor is better than yours' arguments or anything.  People are asking all of the time who we could refer them to in certain parts of the country, at least this way it will have all the best doctors in one thread to point them too!
I second dr Ira jacobson. He does not
Take insurance but runs a lot of trials and is a leading
Doctor in the latest treatment options for hep c. I have been in the Gilead 9881 and 9541 for the last six months and received excellent from the whole team.
Dr. Renuka Battacharya at the University of Washington Medical Services and Transplant Center.  We really like her a lot.
She is a Clinical Assistant Professor and Chief of Clinical Hepatology at the University of WA.  
Her education is:
M.D., University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA
Residency in Medicine, Hospital of University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Fellowship in Gastroenterology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
American Board of Internal Medicine Transplant Hepatology 2010
American Board of Internal Medicine Gastroenterology 2003
Advocate1955
This is a really great idea!  Thanks so much Hawk for thinking of it.  I would like to find a really good Hep Doc in Virginia.  I think Dr Schiffman is in Richmond VA and he is excellent, has a very good reputation.  If I were to relapse I would go to him though he is several hours away I have heard good things about him
Thanks you guys.
Dee
dr allen kilby....portland maine...gi....very good doctor as well as very good nurse practitioner...and all the folks down at maine med are great!...billy
We have two, both exceptional.  Our primary hepatologist, is Robert Gish at UCSD, in SD, and the doctor we deal with on a day to day basis is his partner, Dr. Anthony Martinez.  Dr Gish is usually off traveling around the world speaking about liver disease, but continues to respond whenever we need him.  Dr. Martinez has been the most extraordinarily responsive and knowledgeable doctor I've ever met.  I know how fortunate we are to have two hepatologists treating my husband when it's so difficult for many to find even one.  
I know Hector goes to Dr. Norah Terrault at UCSF. If I didn't already adore my hepatologist, I'd go to her in a heartbeat.

http://www.ucsfhealth.org/cgi-bin/expertDetail.cgi?doctorid=1409

Idyllic:
Unlike you,the word dermatologists leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
For years I had a spider angioma, a big red spot on my upper chest. Every dermatologist I saw (4, in different locations) said it was because of sun damage. None suggested I get a liver panel. None.
If one of them had, my hep C might have been discovered much sooner and it's quite likely my life's course would have been altered.
I do realize that some know more than two words, 'sun damage' but that's all they every said to me.
I have to agree with the dermatologist comment.  Four years ago I went to the dermatologist because my hands broke out in blisters.  He gave me steroids and a topical cream.  He didn't run any bloodwork at all.  Maybe if he had I would have known sooner.  Oh well what's done is done
I'm new and maybe everyone already has this link, but I think it is interesting that many of the names already mentioned so far in this thread, including Hector's fav, are on the faculty list found at
http://www.hcvcme.tv/cme_faculty/index.cfm
Mine is on there, too.

Ira Jacobson, MD (named several times in this thread) signs the welcome statement as the Chairman of  HCVcme.TV.
http://www.hcvcme.tv/index.cfm

Seems to me this is a good resource if someone does not name anyone in your area. I believe these guys are the best especially since their names are coming up in this thread, too. I know the one listed from Detroit is considered the "god of hcv" in MI.
Dr. William Gramely and other GI specialists in coastal NC (Hanover Medical Specialist - GI group). I am UND for EOT vl and feel great!
In Melbourne, Australia, Assoc. Professor Dr. Joe Sasadeuz @ Royal Melbourne Hospital. Super hepatologist; super human being
I see Dr. Guy Neff at Tampa General in Tampa Fl. Great Dr. but very busy office as it is part of University of Tampa and he is head hepatologist at the transplant ctr. and getting phone calls returned is at times VERY frustrating, other than that no complaints......
I forgot I wanted to comment on the dermatologist comment also. A year before I found out I had hepc I went to my derm because of spider veins on my face and chest and he told me the same as OH, sun damage and wanted me to get laser needless to say after treatment spiders are just about gone or much less visible especially on my face.
James "Jay" R. Burton, Jr., MD
Associate Professor of Medicine
Medical Director of Liver Transplantation

Education
Medical School: University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA; 1993-97
Residency: Internal Medicine, Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester, NY; 1997-2000
Fellowship: Hepatology, Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester, NY; 2000-2001 and
Gastroenterology, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR; 2001-2004
Board Certified: Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology and Transplant Hepatology

Honors/Awards
Peak Performer Award, 2009
Present at 7th Annual Rocky Mountain Hospital Medicine Symposium - Recognition in Excellence in GI & Hepatology
AASLD/Schering Advanced Hepatology Fellowship Award, 2003-04
Raphael Dolin Resident Research Award, Dedication to Patient Care, Critical Scholarship and Teaching, June 2000

Clinical Interests:
Dr. Burton is the medical director of liver transplantation at the University of Colorado Hospital. His clinical interests include management of complications of end-stage liver disease (variceal bleeding, ascites and liver cancer) and liver transplantation.

Research interests:
Dr. Burton's research includes retransplantation for recurrent hepatitis C infection and understanding how the immune system responds to hepatitis C virus infection with antiviral therapy and after liver transplantation. He is a coinvestigator on the Adult to Adult Liver Donor Transplant Cohort Study (A2ALL) and many trials of drugs to treat Hepatitis C.

Gregory T. Everson, MD, FACP
Professor of Medicine
Director, Section of Hepatology

Education
•Medical School: Cornell University Medical College
•Internship/Residency: 1976- 1979, Creighton University
•Fellowship: 1979-1982, University of Colorado School of Medicine

Honors and Awards
•Phi Beta Kappa
•National Institutes of Health Clinical Investigator Award, 1983 1986
•American Gastroenterological Association Research Award, 1983 1984
•American College of Physicians Teaching & Research Scholarship, 1983 1986
•Polycystic Kidney Research Foundation, Research Award, 1992-1993
•Best Doctors in America Award, 1999
•Fellow, American College of Physicians (FACP), 1999
•Fellow, American Gastroenterological Association

Committees and Responsibilities
•1992 - Present  Training and Education Committee of the AASLD
•1995 - Present  Member of the Data and Safety Monitoring Board for the PBC Ursodiol Methotrexate Placebo Study (DSMB /PUMPS)
•1996 - Present  Board Member, American Liver Foundation
•1999 - Present  Co-Chair, Ancillary Committee, NIH-NIDDK 98-4 Hepatitis C Clinical Trial
•1999 - Present Steering Committee, NIH, HALT-C Clinical Trial
•2000 - Present  Exemption Committee, NIH, HALT-C Clinical Trial
•2000 - Present  Recruitment Committee, NIH, HALT-C Clinical Trial
•2002 - Present  Clinical Outcomes Committee, NIH, HALT-C Clinical Trial
•1999 - Present  Hepatitis C Caring Ambassadors
•1996 - Present  Executive Board Member, American Liver
•2002 - Present  American Society of Transplantation Awards Committee
•1997 - Present  Chairman, Transplant Outcomes Committee
•1998 - Present  Member of the Clinical Practice Committee
•1996 - Present  Chairman, Association of Transplant Physicians and Surgeons
•1999 - Present  Faculty Committee to Review Infrastructure Support for Clinical Research
•1991 - Present  Chairman, Patient Selection Committee for Liver Transplantation

Research Interests
Dr. Everson's Lab laboratory is interested in new and emerging therapies for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C and chronic hepatitis B as well as interests in Hepatitis C/HIV Co-infections.

I would like to add that the entire staff I have dealt with has been great

This is off OH's original topic, but in reference to drs who don't seem to ID HCV symptoms. (Probably needs a new thread of its own) I have been wondering about this for years, they keep saying HCV has few symptoms unless there is severe liver damage, etc., but  debilitating symptoms finally led me to two rheumatologists and I was simultaneously dx'd with "fibromyalgia" and HCV....and no dr has ever answered me in the affirmative that my "fibromyalgia symptoms" could actually be the symptoms of the HCV....they just don't want to acknowledge it. Why? Especially when they can't prove what "fibromyalgia" is. I had a friend unsuccessfully treated for horrible vasculitis for years...guess who had HCV? So, I just came across this 2011 "HCV fact sheet" (for what it's worth) that fibromyalgia is more commonly found in the HCV population than the general. They also list the vasculitis, skin disorders and many other extrahepatic conditions. I have my suspicions as to why no one says anything, but I'll keep that to myself.
I still have the fibromyalgia symptoms...I am wondering if they will go away if I am cleared of the HCV? I've always found it difficult to buy into fibromyalgia. No one thought my HCV warranted immediate tx, but now I am wondering if I've lived with these supposed untreatable "fibromyalgia" symptoms for years when it's been the  HCV all along? For quality of life, it would have been worth it to treat a long time ago.

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets_pdf/Extrahepatic.pdf
Dr. Ronald Policastro, Fountain Valley, Orange County, CA (Southern California)
Very knowledgable, highly regarded in area
I see Dr Bennett Cecil hepatologist in louisville Ky
RE: Dermatologist & skin conditions.

I think elevated liver enzymes is the #1 "In Your Face" indicator HCV might be present but seriously dermatological issues are right up there.

In all examples mentioned so far it seems like none of the Derms questioned the true pathology of a given skin condition. That is the difference between a Dermatologist with experience in Pathology and a routine Dermatologist. Like anything, it takes lots of years of practice and exposure to different types of medications and illnesses.

That's why it is a little disappointing most of the GIs and Hepas who treat HCV that are mentioned on here don't seem to have a decent "Go To Guy" when it comes to Mental Health and Skin Conditions. I don't know. It's not exactly a multidisciplinary approach to treatment :(
I agree that there is much to be desired in the medical system's item by item approach to health care but that entirely digresses from the topic of good doctors for caring for hep C patients.

Also, have you checked out all of the doctors mentioned here ? I doubt it.
When I was having troubles during tx with my mouth, first I went to my dentist.
That didn't resolve the issue and my hepatologist suggest at ENT but  told me to give it a few more days. The issue resolved itself.
Another time he arranged for me to have a bone scan although this is not his field.

If you want to pm me, we can continue this discussion, otherwise lets try and keep it on topic :)

Anyone else have good doctors for hep C treatment or liver conditions, to recommend ?
Just a comment to Faith in regards to the OP question.  Faith I was just responding to OH comment about Dermatologists.  

Also went to see Dr. Shah today, GI, about a colonoscopy because my CEA levels were high.  Very knowledgable about Hep C and was very interested in my case.  Now I feel I finally have all Drs on board before I start tx. including GP, Derma, GI, and Hepa Dr.  So I feel like I am in really good hands.

Jules
Seattle, Harborview Medical Center, Dr. Shuhart, md,  Hepatitis and liver attending physician.   I love her.  I interviewed many a doctor before choosing her.  HMC does research on hepatitis so I always felt like she was in the loop.
just bumping because I think this is great information
bump..am heading to SW fla....any suggestions?
I agree with you. Dr Alan Kilby at MMC Virology Center everyone is great!!!
Sorry meant to say heading to SF in Cali.  Can't wait Dad is heading to Sw Fl.........so right for him
Dr Harvey Tatum out of Tulsa Ok. GI doc and in charge of many clinical trials.
On his spare time, he does anal probing ;-). Every one I have spoken to on forums, is really pleased with him and his staff.
Nissen Fundoplication Tulsa OK - Tulsa OK, HCV disease, Tulsa OK ...
local.hepmag.com › OK › Tulsa OK › Gastroenterologists
We have compiled a list of businesses and services around Tulsa, including ... Tulsa, OK. View More Info. Dr.Harvey Tatum. (918) 582-6544 1145 S Utica Ave # ...
Adult Gastroenterologists near Tulsa, OK | DocSpot
.
On his spare time, he does anal probing
---------------------------------------------------------
Ah.. Ginger  LOL!

A great pastime for the "hobby enthusiast!
For those in  the Province of Ontario Canada.. The Liver Clinic at the Toronto General Hospital  (Western Division ) is  considered   "Top Notch"
Many knowledgeable Hepa's there with decades of experince with all liver diseases .
Involved in many of the current HCV trials..
"anal probing" life will be good lol
Dr. Everson was my doc too.  I was a g2, no trial just good old Inf and Riba.
I've been seeing Gabriel Garcia, M.D., at Stanford Hospital & Clinics since I was first diagnosed with hepatitis in 1986. He's a hepatologist, a transplant surgeon, a Professor of Medicine at Stanford Medical School and an active researcher. He's always up on whatever is new in the world of hepatitis treatment, and he is a kind and caring person. As a bonus, he posts my test results online for me and he answers emails promptly. He can be reached at the Stanford Liver Clinic, at 650-723-6961.
In 1993 my liver enzymes were slightly elevated, I was tested 3 different times for Hep C all came back negative
In 2006 I started developing red dots all over my lower legs, went to a GI, foot doctor and dermatologist.  They all said this was normal and that people got it and they did not know why.  Then in 2007 my platelets came back low.
I was sent to an Oncology/Hemotologist, he noticed all the signs and tested me. It turned out the spots were cryoglobulinemia, my body fighting Hep C Finally!  A result and explanation.  I think anyone can miss it.
I am looking for a doc in Virginia, thank you very much
Have a great day!
Dee
I am taking all the names here in case
If I have to have this disease at least I have had a great Dr. to take care of me.
Tarek Hassanein, MD
Professor of Medicine
School of Medicine, UCSD
Director, Southern California GI & Liver Centers
Director, Clinical Trials Center
Coronado, CA USA

Biography Tarek I. Hassanein, MD Tarek I. Hassanein, MD, is Professor of Medicine at the School of Medicine in San Diego, California (UCSD). He also serves as the Director of Southern California GI & Liver Centers and is the Director of the Clinical Trials Center. Dr. Hassanein is the Co-Director of Liver Transplantation at Scripps Clinic. Dr. Hassanein is board certified in Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology, and Transplant Hepatology. Dr. Hassanein received his undergraduate degree and his medical degree at Alexandria University in Alexandria, Egypt. He completed his internship and Internal Medicine residency at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. He performed his Research and Clinical GI/Hepatology fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania. Dr. Hassanein is a Fellow of the ACP and ACG, and AGA. He is a member of several societies, including the American Association for the study of Liver Diseases, American Gastroenterology Association, American Collage of Gastroenterology, American Society of Transplant Physicians, American College of Physicians, and the International Liver Transplantation Society, and the European Association for the Study of Liver. He is on the Editorial Board for Digestive Diseases and Science. Dr. Hassanein is a member of a number of committess in GI and liver societies, and has has written numerous abstracts, articles, and book chapters on liver diseases.

I know of this guy, he's got a great reputation.  I'm so happy with UCSD in every way.  Online test results, responsiveness, etc.  They're got it going on...
My hepatologist Dr. Witt-Sullivan is considered one of the best in Canada and is a very kind, friendly and dedicated physician. Read:
http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/medicine/gastro/faculty-member_witt-sullivan.htm
And my doctor is....Dr. Andrew Muir at Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, a very kind and compassionate person who really cares about people with Hep C.  He is the Clinical Director of Hepatology.  Here is the link to his page at Duke:

http://www.dukehealth.org/physicians/andrew_j_muir

Dr. Muir steered me towards participating in a telaprevir clinical trial.  My care during the trial at Duke was top-notch.  After my recent clinic visit (3 years post-tx), I have been discharged from Hepatology Services!  Wow!  Another marker on the road after being cured.  I love my group who cared for me during tx, but I'm totally fine with being discharged from their services : )  I think I just need to bake them one more cake sometime soon.
I consulted 3 different hepatologists and would do it again if I had to.

Dr.Ira Jacobson
Dr.Douglas Dietrich
Dr.Emmet Keeffe (no longer with us)

b

Having Dr Hassanein as the person in charge of my treatment for the last 15+ years has brought me a lot of comfort.  He was with UCSD when I started with him...I can't imagine anyone else..
Can you tell us where these doctors are  located ?
Dr. Ira Jacobson as posted by NYGirl above is in NYC and so is Dr D.Dietrich. Dietrich actually used to post here few years back.
Dr. E. Keeffe passed away last year.

b
Magnum sent me contact number for his hepatologist, the famous Dr. Gish, now working in San Diego, Ca. and in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Gish, Robert G., MD
UCSD contact info:
http://health.ucsd.edu/UCSD_MD/Pages/results.aspx?&last=&first=&specialty=16&location=&gender=

800-926-8273

in Nevada:
http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/newsrel/health/2011_08nevadaLiver.asp

619-543-6303,4 or 619-543-5415
My PCP was sent a letter from The Family Prac. Assoc. asking them to screen for it when she did that was in 99.
Dr. Vinod K. Rustgi and his PA Andea Keller
Metropolitan Liver Diseases/Gastroenterology Ctr.
8316 Arlington Blvd. Ste. 515
Fairfax, VA  22031  703-698-9254

Also does Clinical Trials under Genome Metropolitan Research at same location.
Southern Oregon:

Dr. Gregory Winters, MD

Gastroenterology Consultants, PC
Located in Medford Oregon
(541) 779-8367

website:
http://www.gcpcmedford.com/gc_physician6.htm
My current doctor at the Lair Center here in Vancouver is Dr. Edward Tam, a young doctor.

http://laircentre.blogspot.ca/

From 1998 to 2010 I saw the highly-regarded Dr. Frank Anderson, but he's now retired.
dr. john polio is a gastro and hepatologist and also professor. he co directs the transplant program at hartford hospital in connecticut. very nice and knowledgable.
this is a good thought O.H. as finding a good doc after u are already sick is not east. best to all in their search.
I have been seeing Dr. Haddad for 5 years. He works will Dr. Terrault helping me manage my ESLD and liver cancer. He performed my biopsy, multiple endoscopies, treated my G.E.R.D. and treated me for hepatitis C. A caring doctor. He saved the life of my friend who was experiencing liver failure that had been told to go to hospice. He has since had his transplant and is doing well.

Dr. Thomas Haddad
Gastroenterology
San Francisco Medical Group
909 Hyde St  Ste 125
San Francisco, CA 94109
415-771-4366
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my great caring and expert hepatologist. I have been working with her for 5 years through discovery of my cirrhosis, hep C treatment, End-Stage Liver Disease, and HCC. Together we are planning my transplant.

Norah Terrault, M.D., M.P.H.
Professor of Clinical Medicine
Director, Advanced Transplant Hepatology Fellowship Program
Director of Viral Hepatitis Research in Liver Transplantation

(You will need a referral from your gastro or primary to be seen at UCSF. Wait times are long as it is one of the best hospitals in the country for persons with advanced liver disease in the U.S.)

UCSF GI Faculty Practice
350 Parnassus Avenue, Suite 410
San Francisco, CA 94143-0657
Phone: 415-353-2318
Fax: 415-353-2407

Dr. Nora Terrault is a medical specialist and researcher. Her field is Gastroenterology and Hepatology. She also holds a Master degree of Public Health to study the development of disease in a population. Her specialty is liver injury, transplantation, cirrhosis, and failure. She consults with surgeons doing Liver Transplants and Pediatric Liver Transplants.

Dr. Terrault and her team conduct laboratory and clinical trials on hepatitis B and C viruses in certain transplant recipients, and study therapies to prevent complications in those patients. This life-saving work also includes therapeutic trials with new drugs to treat chronic hepatitis. Her findings have been presented to the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, the leading organization for research in liver disease.

Her latest project involves outcomes of hep C infection in dialysis patients and those patients undergoing kidney transplantation.

Other Responsibilities:
Associate Editor for HEPATOLOGY and Liver Transplantation
AASLD Councilor-at-Large 2011-2013
Project Echo Faculty

Latest Video Presentation:

Trials of HCV Protease Inhibitors in Treatment Experienced Patients
AASLD March 16, 2012
http://www.multiwebcast.com/aasld/2012/cdc.aasld.stc.hepatitis/19977/norah.terrault.trials.of.hcv.protease.inhibitors.in.treatment.experienced.html
I am glad to see someone from this  area,i had Dr. SaloumUSF also part of TGH group but was extremely dissapointed for many reasons with him -one just not being there ever when I need him He was assigned to other 40 hospitals and doing 45pts in one office day. .Now I transfered to Dr. Daly Clearwater who pays a bit  more attention and his office returns my calls.I am not exactly impressed as he also rushing everything but stick with him.for now. If you k now someone else who is hepatologist or gastro experienced in current HepC   tx pls let me know .Thank you a lot
Don't see anyone from Dallas posted yet so I will add Dr Abdullah Mubarak of the Liver Institute at Methodist Hospital in Dallas.  The Liver Institute is a transplant center and he is a hepatologist.  I have been under his care for this treatment with the PIs.

There is no one to recommend in the town I live in  -Midland, TX.  There are only GI's here and only 2 of them.  One of the GI's had been in discussion with Dr. Mubarak, trying to get him to come to Midland and open a clinic.  It is a possibility that I hope comes to term.
hallo,

your recomendation will i accpet for my brother, cann you send me a emeil DR.  Ira Jacobson, because i coudnot  found it in internet. thank u in advance
ta
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know if NYGirl will see your post. However, I did look up the doctor she mentioned, Dr. Ira Jacobson, and here is a web site about him. It also includes contact information (phone and fax).

http://www.weillcornell.org/imjacobson/

Phone (646) 962-4040
    Fax (646) 962-0433

1305 York Avenue
    4th Floor
    New York, NY 10065

Here are two other web site links for him:

http://www.weillcornell.org/practice/hepcctr/index.html

Phone (646) 962-4040
    Fax (646) 962-0355

1305 York Avenue
    4th Floor
    New York, NY 10065

http://www.weillcornell.org/practice/gastrohep/index.html

Phone (646) 962-4463
    Fax (646) 962-0110

1305 York Avenue
    4th Floor
    New York, NY 10065

Office Hours (for both of the above clinics)

Monday through Friday
    9:00 AM to 5:00 PM

Best of luck to you and your brother.

I second this!  Dr. Kwo was recommended to me by my Dr. in Austin when I moved to Indy.  He is on top of his game. One of the best and brightest I have ever met..
Yeah I finally got me a good Hepatologist here in Sacramento.  His name is Dr. Lorenzo Rossaro and he's really sharp.  Glad I continued to be persistent or I'd still be stuck with my Gastro who didn't seem to know much about HepC at all.  That was frustrating!!  Anyways, take care y'all and remember your doctor pretty much has to give you a referral if you're not happy with your current HepC doc. ~ kind regards  

And to all: What about San Antonio ? (hepB chronic carrier)
You know CPMC does outreach in Sacramento, too.
http://www.sutterpacific.org/locations/outreach/1315alhambra.html
Phoenix/Tucson?
my doc is dr. paul pockros at scripp's clinical research center, la jolla, calif.  he is the main man for liver transplants at the green hospital.  belle
It doesn't look like we have any suggestions in Arizona. One member from your state is traveling to Vegas to see Dr. Gish, who is one of the best.

You could try the Mayo clinic in Scottsdale or check out this site to find a doctor:
http://www.hcvcme.tv/index.cfm
Anyone have some more or new doctors to recommend ?
Please post the names and contact information here. Thanks.
Allison1965's husband, Gary, is being treated in Arizona, I think.  I don't know which city or which doctor though.
Advocate1955
Dr Tom Dinnucci
Professor at Brown University
Practices at Rhode Island Hospital at university gastro
Awesome Dr ,Great Guy and fantastic Dr
He is the guy in RI and southern MA
Dra. Esther Little at the Banner Liver Center in Phoenix, AZ. She is a transplant hepatologist and a great Doc. 1300 N 12th St  Phoenix, AZ 85006
(602) 239-2606...Mark
dr. paul j. pockros at the green hospital in la jolla, california.  he is one of the leading liver transplant specialists in so. cal.  i hope this helps someone in my area.  i had the best care.  belle
Unfortunately hes NOT my Dr....but I wish he was! Comes highly recommended if your in the Los Angeles area.

Jeffrey A. Kahn, MD

Keck Hospital of USC
1500 San Pablo St.
Los Angeles, CA 90033
Phone: 888-700-5700
Fax: 323-442-8672

Areas of Treatment:

Transplant hepatology
Gastroenterology
Hepatitis C
1 more from the same office.....FANTASTIC!

Saro Khemichian, M.D.

Keck Hospital of USC
1500 San Pablo St.
Los Angeles, CA 90033
Phone: 888-700-5700
Fax: 323-442-8672

Areas of Treatment:

Gastroenterology
Hepatitis C
Hepatitis B
chronic liver disease
Liver transplantation

Title:

Chief, Hepatitis Treatment Center

know this is an old post but thks for all the encouragement you did to get others to post.  I'm just bumping this post right now because I was look for it the other day and couldn't find it.  Hope all is well.............
Here in Philadelphia , PA Dr Jonathan Fenkel Jefferson University 132 s 10th street Suite 480 Philadelphia ,pa 19107

I love him he is a great doctor i was a wreck when i went there when i left i felt so so much better and he got me to undetectable by week 4 and i never have any problem calling every time i call i will either get an answer or a call back asap its prolly within a 4 hour window
In general: My experience with hepatologists must be looked at within the context they work in. My history: I. Jacobson diagnosed me decades ago when I was a NYH employee. I went with a family (my in-laws were M.D.s) recommendation next. Then - while attending a series of HIV lectures (I'm in health care) I witness the brilliant, animated, and articulate D. Dietrich...He later became my Hepa at Cabrini in NYC....And later again when he transferred to Mt. Sinai...That office I found (and once again I have practiced in health care myself for many years) was terribly run which led to poor communication and promise fulfillment. Here's my point: Working with an Olympian might give you a false sense of security if you think they will be paying attention to you as time goes by, e.g. If they promise to get you into studies, etc and they work within a traffic jam of discursive activity! I think if my Hepa had worked on a more methodical and communicative wavelength I may have known I was near cirrhosis before arriving there. I dropped Diethrich (as good as he would be if he were present) and went with a more responsive and easily dialogic Hepa....Now I am SVR......My point: Find someone with a great rep....But even more importantly: find someone who's greatness is available!!
How did you decide to go with Dr. Fenkel at Jefferson with all the choices in this area? Martin Black, Dr. Reddy and many others? I guess I'm just looking for reassurance.I have my first appointment with Dr. Fenkel and wanted to know what to expect. Thanks, mik59
Dr. Paul Vargo
Minnesota Gastroenterology, PA
2200 University Avenue West
Suite 120
St. Paul, MN 55114
612-871-1145

Paul Vargo, MD

Professional Background

Dr. Vargo received his undergraduate degree from Case Western Reserve University, graduating Magna *** Laude, then attended the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. This was followed by internship and residency at the University of Minnesota, then completing a fellowship at the University of Cincinnati in 1992.

Dr. Vargo is board-certified in gastroenterology.

Dr. Vargo has special medical interests in liver disease, as well as general gastroenterology.

Minnesota Gastroenterology, PA
Hepatitis & Liver Disease

In recent years, our physicians have seen a dramatic increase in the number of patients with hepatitis and other liver diseases. To enhance access and continuity of care, Minnesota Gastroenterology has centralized its diagnostic, management and monitoring services for patients with liver disease at its St. Paul office.

The Hepatology Clinic uses a collaborative approach to treat liver disease, which significantly improves the quality and delivery of services to liver patients and their families. In addition to our own team of board-certified gastroenterologists, specialists from the Mayo Clinic and the University of Minnesota liver transplant programs are routinely available at the Hepatology Clinic for direct patient care and consultation.

New on-site services offered in conjunction with the Hepatology Clinic include ultrasound imaging and nutritional/dietary education.
Research

Because we regularly collaborate in clinical research studies with affiliated academic institutions, our patients have access to new therapies and treatments, many of which are free of charge to eligible participants.

Minnesota Gastroenterology research staff are based at the Hepatology Clinic to facilitate enrollment for patients who might benefit from participation in clinical research studies when conventional therapies fail.
saw your post .  Do you know of any doctors in west palm or tampa or Miami florida.  I don't expect that you do, but it is worth a try.    I hope you are okey thanx
omg you are the first person to respond to my search in fla.  I am 3hrs away from tampa.  I'm having a hard time with moneyt as I am on disability, but they don't even give you enough to survive as it is.  I am waiting to see if my insurance covers an mri  I have Medicaid medipass,  If you can be of any help, I would be grateful.  bluebird305
Hi bluebird, I see your from ft pierce fla,  We have a long time member here that goes by susan400 that has been posting on the social side that might be able to help you. I do know she is from fla but not sure how close she is to you.......Good luck.
i just looked him up  (Dr. Guy Neff at Tampa General in Tampa Fl.)  - i will give him a call monday morning- i have cousins that live there--
thanks for all the help everyone- i think i waited to long-
   i was a calif state firecaptain for 22 years-they teach my fires at the state fire acadamy. i hate dying a slow death. one time working carmel- i responded to a man fallen in bathroom- as i was questioning him to determine mental condition-- he did not remember being chief of surgery at boston general- or being a doctor, or graduating from 3 or 4 eliet colleges-
I am going to see a hepatologist at the University of Miami in September. I understand Univ of Miami has a good hepatology department.  My previous liver doctor in Atlanta suggested as I moved to Florida and my Florida primary doctor confirmed.
Here is their list of liver doctors on their website:
http://uhealthsystem.com/patients/hepatology/doctors/

Best to you.
sljl

At Fairfax Hospital I saw Dr Peter Scuedera, he also has an office at FairOaks Virginia.
Also Fairfax Hospital is Dr Younousi
Mayo Clinic.  Jax, Fla.    All the Liver Specialists are great.        Kim
Does anyone have a recommendation for a GI and a Hepatologist in either Colorado Springs or Denver,CO?  Dr. Karin Cesario in the Springs is both which would be perfect but she is going on maternity leave.
My md who I think is great is DR Ira Jacobson
Center for Hepatitis
1702 York ave
NYC NYC
Part of Weill Cornell Hospital

Also Mary Olsen is the clinical trial director and she is great too
My Hepatologist is retiring this week from the Navy Hospital in San Diego (he is not an old guy—just leaving this hospital). He is going into private practice in Grand Junction, CO. He is moving there this weekend. His name is Dr. William Wade Shields. I loved him! So if you are in that area and looking for a doctor for your HepC, he is your guy! I asked him I could give his name to my forum peeps, and he said yes! So there you go!
Hi does anyone have a good Hepatologist near Toledo?
Hawk this is very helpful, thanks again, Dee
I go to Mayo Clinic JAX to the liver transplant team. They are some of the best in the US. I have too many to name, but it is a whole group effort.
HepC.com has a "find a doctor" by area.  I put in mine and up came a bunch of doctors including mine where I live.   You should give it a try and see what comes up.

Best to you
Thank you, good idea
Dee
I have actually been to several different doctors/clinics in FL. with all the years of doing treatments and clinical trials and then, private practice doctor at the present time.  I did a clinical trial at Mayo/Jacksonville, many years ago and the doctor I had at that time is no longer there.  I did a clinical trial at University of FL/Shands and saw an expert, Dr. David Nelson - a very knowledgeable doctor and very nice, too.  It's been a few years since I was there, but as far as I know, he's still there.  I met the world famous Dr. Eugene Schiff down at the University of Miami and I was in a clinical trial down there as well. Dr. Schiff is world renown and is very nice, too, but I believe that he's towards the end of his 'seeing private patients in his practice', I might be wrong on that, so don't quote me.  When I got done with my trial at Gainesville, Dr. Nelson referred me to my current private practice doctor in Melbourne, FL.., for my regular 'liver doctor' care.  This doctor is part of a large private practice with about 4-5 gastroenterologists, but I've basically only been followed by him.  The practice is in the Health-First Melbourne Internal Medicine group.., otherwise known as HF-MIMA and he practices in the Gateway location.  Drs. Schiff and Nelson are probably some of the best hepatologists in FL., but the only way I was able to see them was because I was in a clinical trial at their teaching hospital.  I'm hoping that my liver appts. will no longer be a regular thing that I'm going to need since I became undetected for the Hep (hoping it turns into SVR).  Susan400
Dr cecil has a great website.
I was seeing Dr Donald Jensen u of Chicago. Hes retiring now. Not a great bedside manner. I just see my local gastro now.
Dr. Khemichian is great. Thanks to your referral, I got an appointment with him and am very impressed. He is kind, caring and very well informed. Really spent a lot of time with me going over the disease and treatments. Listened to my questions and answered them thoughtfully. His assistants, Susan and Joan are very thoughtful and helpful. Really everyone at USC Keck Medical Center has been great so far. Thanks again for this referral; it has really helped a lot!
Bumping up...just in case :)
Hi I'm new to this site. I noticed your in San Diego? Dr. Gish is not in my network (insurance) and he sounds fabulous. I'm curious if anyone in SD has heard of dr Tarek Hassenien? Would love the feed back!
My doctor here in NY is Dr. Douglas Dieterich at Mt. Sinai Hospital.  Well respect and quite reknowned in the field of Hep C.  You can get more info here:
http://www.mountsinai.org/profiles/douglas-dieterich
Dr. Douglas Dieterich is my doctor, too, here in NYC.
I've been cured now over a year.
He is a recognized expert in the field, and is involved in many trials.He has a great research/clinical team.
He's at Mount Sinai, and accepts a lot of different insurances.
-Mark
Anyone know of a gastro or hep doc in Denver who will not tell me my symptoms are in my head? I have had hcv for 40 years and am stage 4 cirrhosis.My current gastro refuses to acknowledge  that fatigue,  rash, itchy skin,swelling and a few other typical symtoms are hcv or cirrhosis related. Please let me know if you know of a caring doctor. Thanks so much. I am so frustrated.
we are the same-45 years with hep c  stage 4 -I cant help you with a doc cause I am in south Jersey but our symptoms are the same( my leg cramps at night feel like death) and are all cirrhosis related.Find a new doc