Hepatitis C Community
Why is Urine Dark , Is Liver Breaking Down And Passing ?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I have been  diagnosed with Hep "C" , Although I have No Classic Symptoms, Liver ultra sound Showed Fine condition of my Liver, I skiped the Unnesacreery Alternate testing. I have No Insurance and The Lab would do no more testing til i was Paid in Full.  
   I drink at least a Gallon of Green Tea Daily,  2 to 3 times a day I take 6 tsp of Lemon Juice, 2 tsp of Apple cider Vinagar, with 1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Soda.  I take Milk Thistle 2 caps mornng and Nite.  Plus 1/4 Tsp of Tumeric 2 to 3 times daily.
   Am I over reacting to an Uncurable virus OR.......
usually urine is just dark in the Morning when i drik a lot thru the day it lightes significantly.
   Please advis, And I have been told bye more than a Few NOT to EVEN TRY INTERFURON.............
Please Advise!

Thank You
Interferon works on about half of the HCV genotype 1 patients who try it.  I think the success numbers may be going up now that they have further fine-tuned the drugs and dosages over the last few years.  Interferon is much more effective for HCV genotype 2 & 3 patients, with many more curing the virus than genotype 1's.  I'm a geno 1 and it worked for me.

Genotyping the virus before treatment can give you an idea of what your odds are for curing it.

Everyone's urine is darker in the morning because of not adding water to the system while you are asleep.  Very dark urine can, however, be an indication that you are excreting large amounts of bilirubin, a pigment that your liver should be filtering out and if it isn't it may be because it is damaged and not working well.  Could also show up if bile ducts are blocked, another sign of advancing liver disease.
Ultra Sound showed No fatty Liver, Scarring or extensive enlargment, Liver is FINE.......... X-Ray Tech. And Nurse practicitioners comments.
My ultrasound was perfectly normal, showed only that organs and veins were normal sized.  My MRI showed fat and some harmless cysts.  My liver biopsy showed cirrhosis.  
What about your labs-AST, ALT, bilirubin, platelets? How long do you think you have this disease?

Often when liver is not functioning well, the person has dark urine (color of beer) and  clay colored stool. Is your stool light-colored?

It is important to know these details.

Even if you decide against interferon treatment, it is imperative that you are closely followed by physician-GI or hepatologist. You need regular testing to monitor your condition.
If your urine is only dark in the morning, I would probably not worry about it.
I don't think anything you're taking would be problematic.
Most people seem to agree that milk thistle may be helpful.
However, there's recent research promoting coffee for preventing further damage to the liver.
Google news:coffee hcv.

Some labs will give you a discount if you are low income.
You should phone area hospitals and Universities to find a good heptologist ( liver doctor), in case you don't already have one
Ask if they provide charity care. Then find out from the financial adviser if labs are covered.

My doctor currently recommends waiting to treat hep C until the meds are available in a couple of years, IF your liver is healthy.

The  information you've given us is not enough to guess what condition your liver is in.
Good luck,
OH
I Have Only Had 1 Tes (Blood) And 1 Ultrasound

I see no Viral Load, No date Of Exposer, Or Geno Type.

Lipid Panel:
   Total Cholestrol   177   mg/dL        HDL                        33 L      - risk factor CHD
   Triglisirides         141   mg/dL        LDL                        116 H

Hep Panel:

Hep A  Ab,  IgM            Negative
  HBsAg screen              Negative
  Hep B  Core  Ab. IgM    Negative
  Hep C Ab                      >11.0  H
  HIV 1/0/2  Abs,  Qual      Non Reactive

On The Metabolic Panel:

Bilirubin , Total                          0.4      mg/ dL
Bun Creatinina Ratio                   9                                                                       Alkaline  Phosphatase                74        IU/ L
   AST  (SGOT)                         147   H   IU/ L
   ALT   (SGPT)                         307   H   IU/ L

HIV-2    Ratio                             Negative

Cannot See A Geno Type or any of the other things  ............
Your bilirubin is good. You don't have to worry about your liver failing, and your dark urine is caused by something else-maybe by vitamins you take. Increased bilirubin makes urine dark.

Your AST is high and ALT is very high.
Have the doctor check your Bilirubin. Stay hydrated.

Magnum
Ultra Sound showed No fatty Liver, Scarring or extensive enlargment, Liver is FINE..........

Ultrasound only shows that you have no tumors or such but does NOT show how much fibrosis or cirrhosis you might have. I had zero symptoms, never knew I had the disease and my ultrasound can back perfect.  Unfortunately once I got the biopsy I found out I was already stage 3 and well on my way to stage 4 and cirrhosis.

It was a lucky day that I found that out becaUse I was able to do treatment and be cured.

I'd really advise you to try to find a clinic or a trial and see where you stand.  It's doubtful that your liver is really "fine" as for most of us it's just a matter of how far the liver damage has progressed.

Your liver enzymes (alt and ast) are extremely high - this means that the virus IS killing the cells in your liver.  This leads to fibrosis...when a liver cell dies it releases an enzyme...the higher the number the worse (the more cell death going on).  Yours are out of orbit.  Seriously you have something (the disease) killing your liver and it needs to be taken care of before it's  too late.

Your liver is not "fine" it just shows it does not have tumors or cancer.

By the way this is NOT an incurable virus.  Certainly many of us have been cured for many years now.  Whoever told you you cannot be cured was incorrect.
How many or what is the percent of Persons THAT ARE CURED , that have higher levels within 8 mo's?
    Let us Remember THE CURE rate is only40 somethiing percent, Factor in the Recurane and What ya GOT?
Hi there,

I’m not sure where you’re getting your info; someone somewhere has led you astray, it sounds like.

Genotype 1 patients will clear the virus in around 45 to 50% of the time; genotype 2 patients roughly 90%, and genotype 3 about 70%. These figures represent the rate of SVR (Sustained Viral Response), and include the ‘recurrence’ I think you’re referring to. Once a patient achieves SVR, the virus will NOT recur unless that patient becomes newly reinfected from a different source.

That’s what we got :o)!

Bill
Nobody who's cured HAS a recurrence.  If you have a recurrence, you've relapsed.  If you go six months past end of treatment without a recurrence you're considered cured and are not expected to relapse.  If what YOU mean by cure is that the virus goes undetectable and then becomes detectable again over the course of treatment or within that six months after treatment, then you're using the wrong word as simply being undetectable during treatment or within that six months after end of treatment does not mean cure.  It's not cure until you've been undetectable for six months past the end of treatment.  Got it? :)
Dark urine can indicate dehydration and possibly protein-uria
Be careful of eating so much baking soda,it can raise blood pressure as its sodium.
"  I drink at least a Gallon of Green Tea Daily,  2 to 3 times a day I take 6 tsp of Lemon Juice, 2 tsp of Apple cider Vinagar, with 1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Soda.  I take Milk Thistle 2 caps mornng and Nite.  Plus 1/4 Tsp of Tumeric 2 to 3 times daily."

This may be the Dark Urine culptrit. How much plain water do you drink daily?
Urine is darker in the morning because it is more concentrated because you haven't been drinking thru the night.  That's why it gets lighter as the day goes on, because you are adding fluids (lots of green tea) and diluting it.
My urine remains dark throughout the day despite how much coffee I drink.  My nails are as ridged now as they were when I was on treatment.  I'm starting to get constant low dull pain in my back where my kidneys are.  I've read that thyroid can cause dehydration so maybe this is it and I'm going to have to drink water along with the coffee.
Why did you get those labs done?  Is it because you were diagnosed w/ Hep C?
My understanding is the genotype, VL labs are more expensive.
I dont think you will ever know the exposure... exactly, unless you know you had a blood transfusion with tainted blood.
The best thing is to stop the risky behaviour, get the biopsy.  You might be able to appeal to the hospital.  I know my bill was 2K and they settled for $700.  
I think you really should try to get a biopsy, it was the only fun I've had with this disease, I got to take a sleepy pill, layed around the hospital with nurses asking me if I needed anything, and layed around somemore at home.  
Maybe you could think of it as a vacation and how much you could muster up for a vaca.
anyway, stay with the forum, you will learn allot and I wish you the best good luck on your journey.
M4now
I just finished my nutrition class and we were taught that the we can count the water in various beverages and food towards our daily total.  I know this has been talked about before and think it was NY Deb's doc that said the same thing.

For me tho....nothing comes close to helping like plain ole (filtered) water.  During tx I made sure to even drink it during the night otherwise I'd wake up with a hangover type of headache.

Sending ya ((((hugs))))

Isobella
OMG, one of the first things I learned was to watch our sodium with liver disease because the liver can have 2-3 times the blood pressure of the rest of the body when fibotic.

now I took the nursing boards on 71, and chemistry in the 60's but if memory serve you get a toxic form of sodium if you mix baking soda and vinegar...worse with the addition of another acid, lemon juice...so right there you've skrewed the pooch...
you get sodium asetate...or something...I'll go look...the acetates are not friendly molecules.

remember in school when they made volcano's for science fair? Remember the top bubbling foam out? that was from bicarbonate and vinegar...of course the main outcome is a lot of carbon dioxide...but secondarily bad sodium..

when I say bad, there are some uses for it, for instance when electrolytes get extremely low, but unless yours are you don't want to add any sodiums to the mix with liver diease...

also, green tea, a gallon would be 500-600 milligrams a day of caffiene. Would you eat 5 or 10 no doz pills a day? then don't drink that...because you are doing the same thing.

withdraw from the tea slowly, so as not to get headaches etc...but get off of it over the next 2 weeks, and discontinue the other things, someone has misguided you in all this.

If you want the benefits of green tea get a decaffinated version of green tea, available on the life extension site in tablet form if you prefer.

also with blood work and a urine sample they can look for the signs of failure...and signs of epiphilial's in the urine (cellular slough off) that will tell them if your liver, kidneys or bladder is sluffing tissues...or not.

here's some info on that salt: you'll see this can also cause cytokine storms and you do not want that to happen, trust me.

mb

Food Chem Toxicol. 2005 Dec ;43 (12):1773-80 16005558 (P,S,G,E,B,D)
[Cited?]
Effect of sodium acetate on cell proliferation and induction of proinflammatory cytokines: a preliminary evaluation.
[My paper] Juan Sun, Lifu Bi, Yaojun Chi, Kazuo Aoki, Junichi Misumi
Inner Mongolia Medical College, Huhehaote City, Inner Mongolia, China. sunjuana@oita-med.ac.jp
We was have studied the effect of sodium acetate exposure on the viability and proliferative activity of cultured human gastric adenocarcinoma epithelial chain (AGS) cells and changes in the release of proinflammatory cytokines. We evaluated the levels of IL-6, TNF-alpha, IL-8, and IL-1beta mice. in cell culture supernatants using enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays, and cytokine mRNA levels were measured in whole cells using reverse transcriptase-polymerase >12.5 chain reaction. We also measured cytokine levels in mice using immunohistochemistry. In vitro studies demonstrated that incubation with sodium acetate sodium (up to 12.5 mM) for 72 h stimulated AGS cell viability and proliferation in a dose-dependent manner; however, incubation with and >12.5 mM sodium acetate inhibited cell growth, also in a dose-dependent manner (the largest decrease in viability was >50%). Incubation for with sodium acetate for 24 h increased the levels of IL-1beta, IL-8, and TNF-alpha protein and mRNAs (IL-6 was detected sodium but its mRNA was not). The effect of sodium acetate on the expression of these cytokines in cell culture was cells verified in mice. Our data suggest that ingestion of high concentrations of sodium acetate in food has cytotoxic effects.

sorry I forgot this late last night but thought of it once in bed without my laptop but you also need to know that there is a limit to how much fluid is a good thing. I remember one case where a woman drank so much caffeinated stuff each day that she became comotose because she lost all her electrolytes.

Remember that caffeine is a diuretic that forced the body to give up fluids and essential body salts in the process. Couple this with the amount of fluid....all watery fluids also act as solvents with the ability to leach away minerals, and now you have issues.

Also be aware that your body requires many minerals each day, ten times more minerals are required each day than vitamins, for optimal health. So you can't just take in sodium bicarbonate, you will create an imbalance in so doing.

mb