Hepatitis C Community
Woke up with bruises everywhere!

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Woke up with bruises everywhere!

I am in week 11 triple with INC - Procrit twice a week, hemo has not gone above 9.5 - I woke up this morning with black and blue bruises all over my legs, mostly in the injection areas but huge and completely covering the front parts of my legs.  Has anyone else experienced this, if so - should I be concerned? Does this warrant a call to the Doc, or trip to the ER? (no one is around on weekends) Any input would be much appreciated - thanks Sunny
I have a tummy full of bruises. Looks like someone took five suction cups and laid em on my stomach in each of the injection sights. I showed my doctor, she said not to worry because I have no pain or tenderness.
Sunny,

Your platelets are probably low.  Do you know what your numbers are?

Wouldn't hurt to run it by your doctor but I don't think there is much they can do at this point.  Perhaps injecting in the stomach will give your legs time to heal.
My understanding is that some people have more tendency to bruise than others at injection sites, and sometimes rubbing the area after injection to dissipate capillary injury helps.  If the bruising is isolated only to the injection sites and you're not having any other symptoms an ER visit may not be necessary, but definitely run it by your docs first thing Monday morning, and get a your CBCs to see where your platelets are.  Hopefully it's just an injection reaction and nothing more.  Best wishes.
might not be the same but i kind of had this happen to me  at around week 12 and 13.. if i scratched my skin it would have a big purplr streak that stayed my platlets were ok.. my clotting factors were ok...my hgb was around 8 ....i was on procrit too..it was on a weekend and i was freaking out...i called my dr 3 times and no reply...i was scared to go to the er cause no one knows whot the heck to do with this new drug... so i waited and i went in on monday and they were like ... "well this happens ..dont go play soccer...your numbers look ok.." so i said ....ok great ..nice.. thanks for calling me back when i was scared to death...guess you were too busy!!!

.but  now i am on week 18 and the issue is much better my hgb is 9.9 everything slowly getting better...i still bruise easily but not like it was at week 12...... if that makes you feel any better....

but for sure ..be careful right now and go to the dr on monday ..and .if you feel really bad or notice  some type of bleeding that wont stop...go  the er. and bring your meds with you.... good luck.. hopefully you will be getting better soon like i did..  
i get bruises on my legs after each shot.  then in a couple of days they fade.  my study nurse told me not to worry.  belle
Ice packs, ice packs, ice packs. I can't say it enough. After each injection take a paper towel and place a frozen ice pack immediately and you should be able to control the bruising.
thank you all for your comments and concerns - it appears my platelets are low and that is why this is happening all of a sudden.  I have one week (well 9 days) left on INC and they are hoping all my labs will improve once this drug is out of my system.  I will try the ice packs, thanks for the tip streamline :) - Sunny
Sometimes bruising is also a sign of low vitamin K.
You could consider taking a supplement.
So sorry you had to go through this over the weekend, I would have been frightened too.  I lose faith is medical establishment when they let you sit over a weekend with no help or assurance.
Glad you are ok
D
thanks for the tip :) hope you are feeling ok - Sunny
thanks for the kid words Dee, it was frightening for sure - Sunny