Hepatitis C Community
Worried about Trazodone being given for Restles leg syndrome

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

My husband has restless leg syndrome and was prescribed Trazodone. The dose is take 1 or 2 at badtime as needed. Now from my understanding Trazodone is an antidepressant. I always thought antidepressants were to be taken everyday, has to get in your system and you must not miss a dose. Is this ok?
I have been on Trazadone for several years off and on for sleep problems.  It is also used for pain management and works wonders for restless leg syndrome and nerve pain in the legs and arms.  Drugs are not always used for one specific purpose.  Originally Trazadone and other older anti-depressent meds were used specifically for that purpose only.  As time went by other uses were found where they helped other things.  I have severe insomnia, restless leg syndrome, and severe nerve pain in my leg at night.  It works wonders with no long term side effects.  It works better when taken every night for sleep.  Other drugs, over the years, also have many other uses other than what they were originally intended for.  And with them being older medicines( most available in generic) they are relatively cheap.  Another example is heart beta-blocker it is now used to prevent migraines.  But this med will definitely help with RLS.
I also have taken trazadone for RLS for a few years.  I dont have to take it everynight but can usually tell in the e evening when it will be needed to rest.   It works completely in about 2 hours and does not keep me from waking up in the morning.  Sometimes I can go a month with out needed it,   sometimes I need it every night..   No side affects at all.  Just a good nights rest ( for me and my husband)