Hepatitis C Community
Worried about getting hepatitis C

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Worried about getting hepatitis C

Hello to all, this is my first post here.

I have some questtions about my chance of getting Hepatitis C.

I am a 25 male student that, in the middle of the year, tested negative for all hepatitis and HIV.

Two months ago, however, my mother found out herslef to have hepatitis C.  Now she is on vacation and she has been at my house for 2 weeks.

I am very worried of getting her hepatitis, because I had 2 of my wisdoom teeth pulled out about one month  before she arrives, and my gum still hurts.

Basicaly, 3 incidents made me worryed.

1- We shared the same cup of water.

2- She has been cooking for me everyday.

3- I kissed her in the face (just a normal, fast lillte kiss), and, recently she made a dermatological cirurgy to take out some warts, so there's some wounds where I kissed her.

Do that expose a risk?

Thanks in advance.
Tags: Hepatitis C, worried, Getting
Andrew, there is no way, absolutely NO way you could get hepatitis C from your mother through these interactions. You do not need to be tested. You do not need to worry. You are safe.

Hepatitis C is a blood born disease. You can get it only through blood to blood contact-transfusion, surgery, sharing syringes etc. Only if your blood is in direct contact with the blood of infected person you can get hepatitis C.

I am married to somebody with hepatitis C. We were married for 10 years before the disease was discovered. We shared all kinds of items, and had a child. And I did not get hepatitis C.

Please, hug and kiss your Mom and give her all support and love she needs without fear.
agreed with tashka
she needs help not fear and worry from you , she feels bad as it is believe us
Andrew,
my wife of 35 years has hepatitis 1A and I've tested positive for 2B. We have had a normal relationship for a husband and wife. We've kissed, had unprotected sex, held hands, all of the same things any normal couple would do. I have not infected my wife in the (probably) 25 years that we shared wile infected and she has not infected me. If we had infected each other we would share the same type and we do not. We would both need to be 1A or both 2B but that is not the case. It is a very difficult desease to transmit unless you share instruments with blood on them such as intra-venous needles, and to a much lesser extent, tooth-brushes and combs. You have a 0% chance of being infected by your mother if you do not come into contact with her blood.
REALLY AS EVERYONE HAS SAID NO WORRYS,BUT PLSE  BE THERE FOR YOUR MOM EXSPECIALLY IF SHE IS GOING ON TX.---ROCKIN516
Thank you for all the answers, I was paranoic about that, but now Im feeling much better.

Besides I had already read about ways of transmission of Hepatitis C, I was just thinking my wisdom teeth cirurgy or her cirurgy could expose a risk, but you helped open my eyes.

I will give all love my mom deserves, this post helped me a lot!

Best wishes for all of you!
Just wondering, my mom is still with me, and I'm not staying away from her in any circunstance (we only take normal cares like not sharing toothbrushes and razors). Yesterday my girlfriend got really really angry with me and she scratched my face as deep as an angry scratch can be (it even bleeds).

Today, about 10 hours later, my mom kissed me a lot in that region (well, she was kissing my face, but my face was scratched).

I didn't tell you, but I suffer from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder-OCD (I do treatment) and sometimes, something that might be not to worry about can really stress me out.

Last time you told me that I should'nt worry about those interations, that really cleaned my mind and was really good, so I need to know if those kisses expose a risk. I asked her if she had any kind of wound in her mouth and she said no, so I'm safe right?

Thanks for all this support, I'm finding a really good place here to peace my heart.
Unless your mother bleeds into your open wound, you have nothing to worry about concerning Hepatitis C.  You have far more to worry about regarding the girlfriend who scratched your face while angry with you.  There can be no excuse for that kind of behavior, and I advise you to seriously consider ending that relationship.  

Good luck to you and your mother.

jd
Thank you for the advice, we (me and my girfriend) probably aren't going to see each other again after that episode.

About hepatitis C, I think there's no worryes then, because we hadn't blood to blood contact.

Just another question about wounds. When does a wound stop beeing capable of aquaring diseases like hepatitis C or HIV, even if in direct contact to blood? The fact that a wound is not bleeding anymore is enough not to allow those diseases to enter?

Thank you.
All the wounds-big and small-should be immediately covered and kept covered until they heal. This will guarantee that you will not get any blood born infection, or any other infection.

It is good practice to follow even if you don't have anybody with hepatitis C in the family.