Hepatitis C Community
Worried about hep c exposure

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Worried about hep c exposure

hi, i am really scared that i might have been exposed to hep c through 2-3 minute unprotected sexual encounter with an SW. She did tell me that she was 100% clean after i asked her, but i have been worrying about it ever since. And now, i am planning to get tested for hep b and c 3 months after this encounter. And now to make matters worse, i read that a negative test at 3 months for hep b and c might be a false negative. I cant believe i have to wait another 3 months or more for an accurate result. Is it even worth getting tested at 3months?
It is such a small likelihood that you would have caught Hep C from unprotected sex.  But having tests is sometimes the only way to settle ones mind about it.  But do some reading, (which i'm sure you have) and try to settle yourself in the knowledge that the statistics are very very low for sexual contact means of infection.   One of the first things I worried about when I found out was not my husband so much as my children and recently my 21 year old daughter (who I gave birth to ) has been tested negative!! And my husband - negative !
Please try to remember as well that Hep C is very very slow at causing any damage, and when it does, you may never find out about the damage, until 30 or 40 years down the line.  Dont forget to enjoy your life, and the worry will start to diminish!!  Evannesce
first of all....this is not hiv...sexual transmission is very rare...
I have not hear off any that have got it from sex

i have read that it can hapend i have oll so read that is only will hapend if it is blod to blod so i wood not be to worid
If "SW" is street walker, then I'd get a full STD panel, including tests for Hep C and HIV. I'd do that right away, and then again at the six month mark or at whatever point your doctor feels  follow-up tests are warranted. Your chances of getting HCV from that encounter are very slim, so personally I'd be more worried about other STDs and HIV, but I'd still test for HCV. Not to be judgemental -- but here goes :) -- what were you thinking having unprotected sex with a street walker? And did you really believe she would tell you if she had an STD, or that she really would even know? Hopefully, you'll be a little more careful from now on.

-- Jim

If you have unprotected sex with an "SW" I'd be more worried about AIDS rather then Hepc. Or any of the other diseases out there that are easily and readily gotten.

In this day and age unprotected sex with an SW is just stupid because you must have THOUGHT to go hire a street walker and pay them before you had sex.

Think before you act.  Get an AIDS test, soon.
On the other hand, "SW" could mean single white girl. Got to be careful having unprotected sex with them as well. LOL. So how are you feeling these days, it's been what a couple of weeks now? Are you planning on having a week 4 post treatment viral load test?

Be well,

-- Jim
SW means sex worker
Please just take care of yourself.  Use a condom always, and make sure the other person doesnt let you have sex with them until you use a condom.  Those are the 3 rules.  Protect yourself first, get the other person to protect you, then protect the other person.

My husband (on our first encounter) said to me "oh dont worry, I've had an AIDS test"  I looked at him in horror "Sweetheart" I said "You dont know that I havent got any diseases".... and at that time, neither did I know.  Problem with the girl you went with, is that she didnt protect herself either.  Such is life. OY.
SW could mean social worker..
strange *****????  :-)
Hep B is much more likely to be sexually transmitted than Hep C , and is much easier to treat.  Get a three month test for Hiv/hepB/HepC and, if all is neg (and that is what i expect to be the case) don't worry any more.

The receiver is always at more risk.