Hepatitis C Community
Xanax & your liver

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Xanax & your liver

My 53 year old husband has recently been diagnosed with Cirrhosis of the Liver, I'm sure caused by years of Alcoholism.  He also has Hep C, Diabetes, Neuropathy, High Blood Pressure.  He has a lot of trouble sleeping because of the pain caused by the Neuropathy.  .05 mg xanax usually helps him sleep, although now I am not sure if he should have it because of the Liver problems.  He was diagnosed with the Cirrhosis in the Emergency room and we haven't been able to get a doctor's appt. yet because of no health insurance.  Any information pertaining to these issues is greatly appreciated.
I think your husbands problems are too great for us to address. We aren't doctors just people with a common bond, hep C.

Of course, he must stop drinking if he hasn't already.

You could phone local universities and health centers and ask if they have any programs to help those without health insurance. Also try your county health care.

Good luck,
OH
Thank you for your response, and I agree, his problems are many.  Our Local Health Department has not been addressing any of his issues other than the High Blood Pressure & Diabetes.  He also has Hep C.  Have been calling daily to try and get an appt at a clinic, but it is same day appts, and seems like no matter how early I call they have already scheduled for the day.  The hospital did refer us to the UT Teaching Practice, where you have to be approved for an appt since no insurance, so am waiting to hear back from them as to whether or not they will see him.   I just want to help him.  He is in pain, and unable to sleep & I know the Emergency Room is not the best answer for his problems.  Once again, thanks for your response & I wish you the best.  God Bless.
and he has not had a drink in over a week, which is great for him, but the Cirrhosis wasn't diagnosed until 4 days ago.
I hate to say this but a week is nothing.
Do make sure all his affairs are in order, wills, power of attorney's etc.

Hopefully he can get some relief for his pain, soon.
Please, take care of yourself.

OH
Sorry to hear of your husband’s recent diagnosis. It’s critical for your husband to continue with sobriety and even perhaps start taking steps to document this action. Depending on how advanced his cirrhosis is he might require transplant at some point in the future; alcoholics are required to demonstrate a period of sobriety in order to be considered for this. He might want to start attending AA or anything to help document his efforts.

As far as xanax is concerned there might be some concern with it over the long run; if it was given to him by the ER docs, he can probably continue with it now, but he should definitely discuss it with a qualified liver specialist soon, along with any other Rx drug or OTC product.

Good luck with UT; let us know how things go there, and welcome to the discussion group-

--Bill
Thanks for the information.  Although he has stopped drinking, I am not sure I can convince him to go the AA route.  Maybe when he realizes its that or death he will make a good decision.  The UT Teaching Practice won't see him unless he gets a referral from another Dr.  We have an appointment this afternoon at the Clinic the ER referred us to.  Keep us in your prayers.  And once again, thanks for responding.