Hepatitis C Community
abdominal ultrasound

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

abdominal ultrasound

can anyone help i have chronic hep c and was wondering  why i have to have a abdominal ultrasound. Feeling a little frightened
Abdominal U/S is one non-invasive method of looking at many organs (ie liver ,kidneys.spleen.) for any gross abnormalities.

As it pertains to the liver it may show nodules,size of the liver(either enlarged or shrunken,spots(benign cysts or tumors) ,fatty infiltration,,however U/S is not a good marker used for fibrosis ,caused by HCV.

The best modality for this is either a biopsy or possibly fibroscan or fibrosure blood markers.

Good luck and welcome to the group...

Will

.

i had my ultrasound prior to my liver biopsy. its my understanding that it helps the biopsy dr locate where the liver sits. someone can correct me if im wrong. it was no biggy. :) it was very frightening when i was first diagnosed too. so many questions and fears. but i am now on my last three days of treatment. its not easy and sometimes the side affects of treatment was all i could bare , but i got through it and the alternative to not treat was unacceptable. this sight was a godsend. even if i didnt post alot it helped to read others experiences, it helpede to not feel so alone in this. i wish you good luck and good health.  keep asking questions here it will help ease the fear of not knowing.
Hi, Will is right, before I was able to treat I had it done once a year, blood work done twice a year
Now that I have finished tx I guess we will go back to the schedule
Good luck
My husband has an ultrasound every 6 months, primarily to screen for liver cancer.  
Advocate1955
As Will mentioned, it is standard procedure to have an ultrasound when a person is first diagnosed with hepatitis C and liver disease.

On an ongoing basis when a person has stage 4 advanced liver disease) cirrhosis, due to hepatitis C, ultrasounds are performed every 6 months to monitor for signs of liver cancer (HCC). HCC is a very serious cancer that persons with cirrhosis of the liver caused by hepatitis C have an increased risk for developing.

No reason to worry about an ultrasound. Painless. No harmful radiation. Same as when the look at a baby in a mothers abdomen.

Cheers!
Hector
That was the first thing my dr. ordered.  It is a simple procedure but is only a beginning.  My ultra indicated a normal, slightly fatty, liver.  However, I was not willing to start treatment w/o more information, so I switched doctors since the one I had was pressing me to start treatment.  She said she would never advise someone to not treat.  Well, depending on the outcome of tests, that is an option for people with minimal damage because there are some wonderful new drugs on the horizon.  The new doctor, a hepatologist, ordered what I knew was needed--a CT scan and a liver biopsy.  Scan is completed and biopsy is scheduled.  Once I have a complete picture, then I will be ready to make a decision.  I see him again August 22 for the results.  The more information you have, the better you are equipped to have a discussion with your doctor.  
mwaseemsajjad waseemsajjad32@gmail.com Comment
51 mins ago
Emily_MHModerator Survey link - https://goo.g... Comment
10356 commented on VICourageous's status
Jul 24
Track your weight over time