Hepatitis C Community
advice on flu shots and antihistamines

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

advice on flu shots and antihistamines

Apologies for mixing two questions in one post. I would be grateful for thoughts, opinions and advice on the advisability of getting a flu shot while in tx.

A second question relates to the advisability of taking antihistamines for the rash which is driving me crazy.
My HepC Doctor told me to get my Flu shot, which I did already. I do not know of any issues related to HepC and the Flu shot. It would always be best to ask your Doctor. You should also get vaccinated for the HepB if you have not done so already. I do not know about antihistamines. Again I suggest to ask your Doctor. If you don't have a doctor you can go to a clinic and they should be able to help you for a small fee. Usually around $35.00. I hope this helps a little!
Thanks Keith. I do have some advice from my doc but thought that I would triangulate that advice with comments from the group. Regarding flu shots he advises ok as long as dead not live vaccine is used. Regarding antihistamines, he advices Benadryl, Aerius or Reactine. Previous bad experience with Benadryl (zombie like symptoms) led me to purchase Aerius. However the pamphlet inside the package indicates that it should not be used by people "with serious liver disease". Presumably HCV is serious or we wouldnt' be torturing ourselves with interferon and ribivarin.

Again, thanks for your comments, much appreciated.
My doc said to go ahead and get the flu shot.  It won't hurt the treatment and you sure don't want to get the flu on top of all the usual (yucky) side effects!  I'm taking benadryl occasionally for the ribavirin rash.  My doc said it was OK.  Definitely talk to your doc about both, but they're probably fine.
many thanks for your comments.  Comments so far seem consistent - flu shots ok and antihistamines ok.