Hepatitis C Community
advice seeker

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

advice seeker

I have recently met a new guy and he is scared that if we had intercourse I could give him Hep C I told him I have been in two long term relationships and they were unprotected encounters and were tested after we broke up and and unless there are open wounds it's very unlikely. I have had the illness for eight + years and in the last four I have took could care of myself liver is Well and my viral load has barely increased. What can I do to reassure him he is safe besides using protection????  It's been hard enough for me to deal with the fact I did this to myself but to suffer the potential loss of a great guy that has a good relationship with my son....:'( Oh and the others were negative results..
If he doesn't believe you when you tell him it is only passed via blood to blood contact, you could suggest he read up about it online.

Then again,  do you really want to be with a new guy who doesn't trust you ?

Besides, seeing he is a new guy, he should be using a condom for YOUR projection.
Good luck with all these " Unprotected incounters".... Yikes
Or is OWN hey OH?
IMO, he is not "safe", just "safer" IF you watch yourselves.

I have been "fairly intimate" with my two wives, have 3 kids, and they (the wives, I would never test my kids as long as their moms are negative) are negative.

I never liked the term "safe sex" and it is not used anymore and instead it is called 'safer sex".

I agree with the above that you should be using a condom and for your own protection, you should BOTH get tested. How do you really know if he does or does not have anything.

Something I have taught my two daughters when they were old enough and before they became (become) sexually active:

1. What you got that guys want - we all know that answer.

2. What they will tell you to try and get that - um, anything!

3. about STD's and "safer sex" - I use the hypothetical situation of a guy saying "I am HIV positive, but if I wear a condom, will you have sex with me?

Seems dramatic but I am sure that you (like me and everyone else on here that got it from a "poor life decision", not) have thought at some point "if I could just go back and change this"...

I applaud you for your honesty with him. There are people who would not disclose it and maybe never say anything or get them hooked and then make up a story starting with something like "I have not been feeling so well lately" and am making a doctors appt and then "I have some bad news.

Also, you got your boy's future to plan for!
  Well, hmmmm...the CDC recommends wearing a condom, the first year, and then they dont feel like it is neccesary,  as long as there is no blood to blood contact.
    You could bring him in with you,  next time you have Hepatology appt...have you ever had a biopsy? They are the best way to see what shape your liver is in~
Since this is titled "Advice Seeker" just thought I would add a viral load with Hepatitis C has a different meaning then a viral load for Hepatitis B and even HIV.  

With Hepatitis C having a low viral load is not indicative of your level of fibrosis. A viral load is used to gauge your response and progress to the Hepatitis C medication while treating the virus. Not trying to rain on your parade.

Best of luck with your beau
I had a similar experience when I was about your age.   The man in question asked A doctor friend of his who said "don't go near her"  :-( - doh.

Within a year I met someone else, who came with me to the HCV support group, read up all the information, made a choice, then became my greatest support through successful interferon therapy and has been with me for fifteen years.

We all take some risks every day in every way!  But some things are just 'meant to be'.  My son got on so well with both of these men; but I wouldn't be virus-free if it hadn't been for the support of my current partner who really knew what choices he'd made.  Sometimes what we want isn't what we need - all you can do is help this man make an informed choice by showing him where to get the information.

BTW Welcome to the Forum - this is the BEST place to get encouragement and advice on your HCV voyage which I hope is heading towards treatment.  
I have only had two and they were long term relationships uggh I ain't a hoochie.....
please tell him not to worry. i copied the following from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15128350

Am J Gastroenterol. 2004 May;99(5):855-9.
Lack of evidence of sexual transmission of hepatitis C among monogamous couples: results of a 10-year prospective follow-up study.

Source
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Università di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy.
Abstract
The risk of sexual transmission of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection was evaluated among 895 monogamous heterosexual partners of HCV chronically infected individuals in a long-term prospective study, which provided a follow-up period of 8,060 person-years. Seven hundred and seventy-six (86.7%) spouses were followed for 10 yr, corresponding to 7,760 person-years of observation. One hundred and nineteen (13.3%) spouses (69 whose infected partners cleared the virus following treatment and 50 who ended their relationship or were lost at follow-up) contributed an additional 300 person-years. All couples denied practicing anal intercourse or sex during menstruation, as well as condom use. The average weekly rate of sexual intercourse was 1.8. Three HCV infections were observed during follow-up corresponding to an incidence rate of 0.37 per 1,000 person-years. However, the infecting HCV genotype in one spouse (2a) was different from that of the partner (1b), clearly excluding sexual transmission. The remaining two couples had concordant genotypes, but sequence analysis of the NS5b region of the HCV genome, coupled with phylogenetic analysis showed that the corresponding partners carried different viral isolates, again excluding the possibility of intraspousal transmission of HCV. Our data indicate that the risk of sexual transmission of HCV within heterosexual monogamous couples is extremely low or even null. No general recommendations for condom use seem required for individuals in monogamous partnerships with HCV-infected partners.
My e mail is ***@**** can u send copy of this to it PLEASE