Hepatitis C Community
age poll

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

age poll

How many people are here that are still in there 20's or thirties? Just curious.

The reason I asking is because I've noticed that on most other sites everyone seems to be in the 40+ age range (and there is nothing wrong w/ that:) ). Might be because younger folk don't know they're infected or don't care.  
I am 51. Most of the ages I have seen have been 45-55. It makes sense since prior to 1989, there was no screening for Hep C and the majority of people were infected then. The rate of infection has slowed, from what I understand. Also, most of us found out we had HCV during routine bloodwork, something that younger people tend not to need/get as often.
Well, I'm 41 and have been battling different diseases since I got clean (12 years ago) and actually cared what happened to me.  By God's grace, my 12 year old son has never seen me loaded.  You're right, in my 20's I didn't care too much about anything, especially myself.  Kinda thought that if something did happen, well, at least I'd die loaded.  I'm not like that today.  I have the desire to see my son grow up and become a man.  I would like to have grandchildren.  It's not like I would have changed anything from my past.  My past makes me the person that I am today, and I like who I am today.  This newest disease, this "dragon" as I've seen it called so many times is just another indication that life is short and we should appreciate every minute we are allowed to live and love.  I'm new at this disease, but not new to devastating diseases.  I come here to learn alittle more about the effects that this disease will have on my already deteriorating body.  You're right, I wouldn't have cared in my 20s, I was out there using and abusing everything and anything that I could get my hands on. When did I get so old?
In the eleven years I've known I have the disease, I've met at least 100 if not more HCV+ people, and only one woman of that bunch is in her 20's. Most have been baby boomers and older. That's just my experience. It's due to a number of factors I think...since 1992, it's been possible to screen the blood supply, so that has cut down the number of infections by the transfusion route. Also, most of us in our 40's and 50s (I'm 55) found out by accident while having something else checked...because it is during those years we discover that we really do need to be more attentive to our health/bodies as we age. Wouldn't it be great to learn someday that there really has been a decrease in new infections in the younger than 40 population???  I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through this.
Judi
I'm 26 yo, found out about HCV a year ago.
I'm 37 - was diagnosed when I was 26, infected when I was 18.
Im 49 as of today..... infected back in 1978 from blood during surgery. dx'd in 2002, 1B, treated and relapsed 2003 (waiting on new tx).
I'm 46, type 1a grade 2, stage 2 on week 14 of treatment. i have been just mainly lurking here past 2 years and learned alot at this site about this treatment before starting(thanks to all the veterans here). best to you, dutchman
Hi All . . .

I'm 48 and newly diagnosed.

I have a question, or rather I should say I'd like your feedback.

The GI who made the diagnosis referred me to a another GI who has Hep C experience.  The first doc did my viral count (2.2 million) and the new doc who I just saw for the first time ordered genotype and I will go for biopsy on Feb 6.  They did a liver scan Monday but did not have the reults back when I saw this new doctor on Thursday.  Anyway - he seems to think that because my enzymes weren't elevated and because I don't have spider veins and red palms that my liver is not in a bad way.  But from what I'ver read the liver enzymes can look fine even if you are really bad off.  Is that your understanding as well?  I don't want a bad liver, but I want to think this doctor is straight up.

Also, other than fatigue, he didn't seem to think my other sypmtoms (muscle pain, headaches, diziness, tingling hands, constipation, insomnia, trouble concentrating and forgetfulness) were related to Hep C.  I'd like your input on that as well.  Thanks for any info, chin up, and Peace and Strength to all.

GG
p.s - and thanks to the fine people who created and maintain this site - it's been a real help in educating myself on what I may face in the future.
Happy Birthday!
ambush :)
hi there and welcome, most of your symptoms sound VERY familar.  i too struggled for about 5 years with many of the same symptoms as well as a few others..ex; itching..joint pain and stiffness, stomach issues, severe bloating, and pain!!, i was probed and prodded over a few years with no answers.i was perscribed, PREPULSID and PREVICID, (prepulsid, changed to dicetel) for joint discomfort and muscle discomfort i always took tylonel. (now on celebrex,) as rhumitiod factor in my blood showed as 120, the arthritis specialist took one look at me and said it was NOT arthritis..humm, but believed a conection to the hep c was indicated. i have discovered through others that many many symptoms can be attributed to hep c, so don't give up! push for answers!! finally finding out this info is liberating as sudddenly, i no longer felt like i had a myirad of different complaints, rather, one common thing that seemed to connect it all pretty much together for moi!!
good luck
cheers!
58 as of fri. wish i was 20-30 but when you reach 50+ its nice too!!!!! 1b shot 29(fri.) still undetectable.
Yes - I have the raging stomach and bloating as well - in fact, on Feb 3 the first GI I saw will provide me with the uncommon joy of a combination endoscopy/colonoscopy to see what's going on with all that. A week later I'll have the biopsy.  Ooooh - what a fun February I have on tap!!!

I've had several doctors attribute all these other symptoms, along with the fatigue, to other things - menopause, stress, imagination - and if it's truly valid that they may be related to the Hep C I don't want this doctor to discount them.  I don't mean to throw the baby out with the bath water or second guess the doctor, but then again I don't want to waste time with a doctor who won't consider the entire gamut of symptoms if in fact they really are a part of the entire disease process.  It was only by refusing to accept bum diagnoses that I kept going till someone tested me for Hep C and got to the root of the problem, which definitely did not need to go undiscovered. So I am a bit unwilling at this time to settle for someone who pooh-poohs the idea that the other symptoms are valid as well, if indeed they are truly attributable to Hep C.  Hence my request for input, and I truly value yours.
im 54 and have had hepc for i believe 25 years. i wonder if the spread of hcv inadvertantly decreased with the fear of hiv and people being more cautious combined with blood screening
i know people have discussed this vasculitis before does anyone know how its diagnosed i mean blood test or bone marrow biopsy??
i wonder if that may be why i threw a clot and wound up with that pulmonary embolism.
F/44
Happy birthday meandhepc and tuna. I will 56 in feb.

Tuna I'm right behind you just did 28 Fri

Bob
I'm 52, 1b, VL 5.9, got infected 1969 while in Canada.  I got pretty sick, turned yellow......found out last yr i have HEP C.......doing #4/48 on Mon...This site has helped me educate myself on the Hep C and TX........thanks everyone for being so supportive...
I am 52; probably have had this for 25 or so years. Like some of you; I am in recovery, sober for 18 years. BUT, when I heard about HCV I knew I was high risk, having used IV drugs in the 70's.

I also have been to doctors about pain, stomach, joint, muscle, fatigue ... probably most of these things are due to the hep. Imagine if I got well and did not have to live like this anymore!

I have to hold on to that thought because tomorrow is shot #3.
Hi, I am located in San Pedro.  I recently heard that very soon, possibly this month they will be opening a support group for Hep C at Harbor UCLA Medical Center.....in one of the bungalows...I will find out more when i go to my GI on the 26th.......I heard they have one in Long Beach
I am 42 years old.   Susan400
Happy Birthday Tuna!

Thanks Ambush!
I am 52 and got the bug in 70, drug crazed hippy!!!! Found out last christmas when I went to give blood as my Christmas good deed. I showed no symptoms, normal ast/alt, 1a,900kVL, minimal fib. 10/48. There was a small bunch of us druggies (Dayton Ohio), I wonder where every one is? Hopefully they find this board and are getting treated!
Steve
happy birthday !!

I'm 46 and was diagnosed in July 02. I knew I was getting sicker all the time, but assumed it was from drinking. I drank right up til my liver failed. I didn't know anyting about hep c until I was diagnosed in rehhab.After asking enough questions here and at my new G.I., I realized that even though I have barely compensated cirrhosis it's not a death sentence. If I clear (I'm 2b) and continue eating a liver freindly diet, I could still have years.                Joni

I'm 45 and got this probably 30 years ago "experimenting" with drugs. I had very rough teen years. I was active and healthy all my adult life until my dx on 02 at an annual check-up. I think the spread of HCV is slowing because of the blood supply check but also because the care now taken in tatoo shops and nail care shops where this disease was also spread. LL

OHC's website that has many statistics like this on many of us here. Age is included if you want to see more go to:
http://www.geocities.com/auggieaz/board.html
Thanks OHC.
Sorry, I missed ya.........Happy Birthday!  And many many more!
ambush :)
hey lori, i think they named hep c around '93 but when i was doing outreach, we didn't even start including testing for it, with our standard HIV testing til 96

georgie.....ewww girl, well that will be some fun....you may want to ask for sedation,or at least ask if it is nessisary for you.  if it is the same ones i have had,( scopes ),the 'butt' humm  not terribly pleasant for me at all....well...okay......EXCEPT for the sedation....I.V. sedation and i clearly seem to remember saying...no...noo nooo can't FEEL the meds yet!!!man was i full of it....sedation that is! ha ha...personally, there never seemed to be any thing they could find wrong with me...and i had that and the stomach test several times over about a 5 year period...also, had to drink that disgusting chalky stuff a few times...nothing! just was given more meds for the bloating etc...but i would imagine that it is important to rule out other possibilities first, to make sure there is nothin else going on there..good luck with it...3 words
se....da....tion!
cheers
Meandhepc and Tuna.. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

I am 46/F on Monday I will be 33/48
I also found out about the HepC through a routine exam...I actually thought (or at least my husband did) that I was premenopausal.....so I went to the doc to check it out. The good news was that I wasn't going throught menopause..YET.....but the bad news was that I was diagosed with HepC. This was a year ago last November. I'm sure everyone knows the devastation you feel after you realise just what it means to have HepC and the battles ahead....I was teaching ESL and Kindergarten at the time, so I decided to wait 6 mos until the school yr was over to begin tx. I started last June...and decided to take a year off to tx. Thank goodness I did...cause I would not have been able to give my students my best...especially with the short term memory loss.(brainfog) and being unable to concentrate....I couldn't imagine taking riba rage out on children. It is hard enough, trying to be a good mom and grandma. My sides have been relatively mild until the last month or so.....my WBC went way down and I had to start neupogen shots once a week.  Now I get terrible headaches...more often than before....less concentration ability....but the worse is that my body aches almost continually now...shoulders, neck, especially my elbows...knees. legs and back. Depression has been more difficult lately too.

Now after whining...I just want to say....I am happy that I made this choice...I wanna win this fight....bury the dragon....If I achieve SVR.....I can finally quit worrying about the possibility of giving it to someone else...especially my loved ones.  Take care, berlynn
Hi and welcome to our dysfunctional little family (just kidding).

You wrote:

"Also, other than fatigue, he didn't seem to think my other sypmtoms (muscle pain, headaches, diziness, tingling hands, constipation, insomnia, trouble concentrating and forgetfulness) were related to Hep C."

I have nearly all of the symptoms you described (muscle/joint pain, tingling hands, constipation, trouble concentrating and forgetfulness.  I can't, for the life of me, understand why these GI's don't think there's an HCV link.

By the way, I'm a 44-year-old, married woman who was diagnosed in September.  I'm a 1a with a VL of less than 25,000.  I'm postponing treatment for at least 1 year.

Susan
Does viral load mean anything in terms of a possible cure?

I am at 12 million.
Happy birthdays to each of you!

I am female, 50 yrs, infected from a needle stick working in hospital 32 years ago.  Stage 1, grade 1 and VL of 900,000 to start.  Finished undectable on 9/26/03 and holding.  Feel great.  There is life after tx!!
hey cutie thank you!!!....oh oh its SO NICE AND LOVELY HERE right now..it makes me happy...knock x 3...

yup, actually i found out in 96, cause of course, my big mouth, with one of the more challenging clients i had, that was an injection drug user, that i had gently been trying to convince  to test for HIV and said, "hey, i'll even get tested too, right now, if you will, cause there some new virus we are testing for as well'...i was already non-reactive for HIV so i didn't give it much though....well  few weeks MINE came back positive for hep c.that was in 96..BUT the nurse told me then it was no BIG DEAL and not to worry, just don't share toothbrushes or razors...humm the things we learn huh!
anyway, not gonna stay in here too late as i am getting used to limiting my time spent on here and  once again, actually watching a movie at night and its been nice and relaxing....and getting to bed early. the calm has got to be liver friendly!! so night all, i have miss you and this gentle ease.  oh, lets not forget...the ODD giggle or two okay!!  
kimmy

My name is Sue...I'm 44 years old. DX Hep C in 1991.  Probably got it in 1983.  I start treatment next week Monday.  I'm 2b and my doc said my viral load was 36!  Not 36 mil, or thousand...just 36.  He said I was almost undetectable. I even asked if he was sure I had it...yes I do.  My liver bx was 0-1....so I think I'm  looking pretty good as far as responding to treatment, right?  I dread doing treatment, but I felt it was better for me to do it while I still feel halfway decent. I am also a chronic pain patient. I've had pain in my hip and back since I was 15 years old. I hope  treatment doesn't increase my pain levels too much.  I hope the only side I get is weight loss!!! of course, I'll be one of the few people who don't lose weight!
I haven't posted much but I'm sure I'll be looking for your advice when I start treatment.  I've learned so much from you all since I've been coming to this site. My doc usually treats with peg-intron/riba...but because of what I've learned, I was able to ask for pegasys and hopefully less sides.
Again, thank you all for your advice.
Sue
Sorry ask an "out of forum" question, but you mentioned one of your clients.  My husband is a drug and alcohol counselor.  He just got back today from State certification oral exam (CAADAC) in Sacramento.  He passed the written in June(?) and flunked the oral last time around. Just wondering if you were along those same lines.

Jamie
Hi everyone  I'm 48, geno1 Female and just found out I had this in October.  My husband went to dr for cholestrol check and came back high liver enzymes so went for next test to GI and found out he had it.  Honestly, it was like a bomb had dropped out of the clear blue sky as we had no idea.  We both have never been sick and of course I have had some crazy months this past year but mostly due to menopausal.  So naturally I had to go get checked and just knew there was no way I had it.  Like I said I have never been sick and get blood checked once a year and always perfectly normal on everything including enzymes.  My test came back positive oct 29th and I cried for 2 weeks it seems.  I didn't want us to spend our days, months and so on in a drs office or getting tested but here we are.  Only thing we can trace back to is in 79 my husband had surgery...blood transfusion.  Other then that...I have had 3 c-sections so really we don't know.  My hubbys viral load is 638,000 and mine is 8 million which still to this day amazes me because it seems like I would feel bad or something.  Anyways, this board has saved my sanity and so glad I found it.  I love all the postive posts and all the people that are beating this.  Its been great meeting each and everyone of you guys.  Sally
Hi all, the name's Kim, Male, just turned 50 & am pretty sure I got HCV from air guns in service.  Then again, lived communal for years sharing razors and other things.  Nonresponder to tx.  Starting maintenence tx with Pegasys only within the next 4-6 weeks.
48@49 while on combo, finished tx. on Nov.6th. Still having some sx., but not nearly as bad, as when on tx. Cindee
Hello

I am 32, female and have been hepC since I was 17. I began Pegetron today - taking my first set of pills at 9am this morning and my first injection at 6pm tonight.  So far - its all good and I am feeling pretty good - and just as normal as i usually do.

Diana
I'm 53 and was dx 7-03.  I just did 14/24 and found out last week that I'm producing way too much thyroid hormone.  I don't know if this is related to tx or hepc.  I believe I got the hepc in 1979 from blood transfusion during surgery.  My starting vl was 140,000 and I'm genotype 2a.  The virus is now undetectable.
May your sx be mild to none. Night. LL
Female/49, had this for 30+ years...
With sooo much in this poll beyond age it's hard to start ,female,haha, 46 young just turned,geno2 stage3,that's about all the stats i know start tx on tues.i'm nervous and excited all at the same time. I found out via snail mail,it's been a year,had to wait for agood GI then had to wait for the beginning of the year 'cause the goverment kicks in money on an annual time line.All I know is you shouldn't take celebrex or vioxx with a bad liver had to give it up. AND back then ,20 years, the threat of aids wasn't even in focus,never mind hepc, people are so ignorant about the subject,and I work with a wide age range and diverse crowd yet they don't have a clue ,ok getting off the soap box...all I know is july 26th last shot can't come soon enough...Good night and thanks again to you all for being
46 years young,found out I had it last year, #30 of 48 (pegasys+copegus 2b. got it from blood transfusion from accident in 73. started feeling fatigued about 5 years ago, just thought it was from age, not really any symptoms other than the fatigue, found out from a blood test last year. You'll all have a good weekend.-- HD
Hey Guys

I am 19 years old. I was diagnosed with Hep C last April when I was 18. I got Hep C from a blood transfusion when I was 6 weeks old. So I have had it for 19 almost 20 years.

Jenna
I'm 36, found out a year ago. 15 years infected.