Hepatitis C Community
alcohol and liver pain

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

alcohol and liver pain

I HAVE RECNTLY COMPLETED NINE MOS. OF TX. MY VIRALS ARE ALL NEGATIVE BUT I STILL HAVE ABOUT 11 WEEKS LEFT OF SHOTS AND RIBAVARIN. I HAVE BEEN HAVE EXPERIENCING PAIN IN UPPER RIGHT SIDE, GOING TOWARDS MY BACK. COULD THIS BE ATTRIBUTED TO MY HAVING A GLASS OF WINE 3-4 TIMES A WEEK?
My URQ went away on tx. after tx the pain came back, briefly. I have read where some other folks on tx have had the URQ pain apprear on tx.
My question to you is Have you heard that drinking with Hep is like throwing gas on a fire? Give your liver a break so it can heal.
May I ask at what week you became UND? Oh yes,and at what grade your biopsy was?
it never ceases to boggle my mind, why would you go through that hell, and then drink through it, knowing there might be a "risk" there, even just a risk...that it could interfere with it...

In actual fact, the tx drugs are hard on the liver, even though they can clear the virus out of the system....very hard on all the organs and glands, the kidneys.....any chemotherapy is...why would you make it even that much harder on your liver, while it's trying to process the chemotherapy?

Give your body a break, it needs all the help it can get right now, not hindrances..sorry if I sound preachy, don't mean to, just don't understand this...if you need something to help you relax if youre jittery and really amped up, why not take an occasional very low dose medication, as needed, to help you get through treatment...it's a fact that this is a lot less hard on the system while youre treating, then alcohol is, at least my doc told me this...and I've heard and read the same. Hope you feel better soon.
I had URQ discomfort towards end of tx 2. Doc said it was due to the liver reparing itself. Hmmm...  Now that I am relapsed, I have URQ pain (like a cramp with heat) plus I have developed portal hypertension. The virus came back with a vengous. From 25000 to 4 mil 6 mos post. So hard to say if your pain is good or bad. I quit drinking in 1987 and never looked back. If I hadn't, then you would not be reading this. Give it up and live.
Dude, haven't had a drink in about two years....and the last time was ONE drink, and my liver function tests have doubled because of the treatment.  so i'm saying it is not helping you one bit if the treatment alone can cause LFT small spikes.

deb
Ive had URQ ever since I started 1st tx in 04/05. I did not drink at all during tx.  After tx doc said I could have a drink occasionaly but never a binge. I had 2 glasses of wine 4 July 06. Still had the pain even w/out the wine.
After I relapsed in Sep 06 I started 2nd tx. Not 1 thought of a drink during tx. Still had URQ. After tx doc said I could have a drink once in a while. To moderation of course. Still have URQ. Ive had a few beers since tx. I will NEVER drink excessively again & I was a big partier and drank right much in the past.
If you cant quite quit seek help. No shame in that at all.

triggertime

I might not be any good but Im slow.
here we go again,
another person with no self respect and treating
here we go again ...another insulting judgement on another human being...who has asked for help.. I bet you're probably one of those short tempered people who has all kinds of faults just like the rest of us...but thinks somehow you are just great...that's what you sound like anyhow...
have a little heart please...you know nothing about this person's life or situation..do you actually think your reply was of any help to that person? I doubt that that's what you intended anyway.. CRABBY!!!
crazy to drink if u ask me, duh!! anyone can see what will happen..save a life dont drink and swallow .. life is a gift from GOD this could be ur 2nd chance to serve him.. Take care
thank you for the support!!  I asked my doctor if I could have a glass of wine at a wedding... AFTER my 6 month virals came back negative. Unfortunately she said yes...so... about three or 4 times a week i have a glass. My reasoning was that it's "only" 11% alcohol. Of course it's ridiculous, but as you said, lost39 knows nothing about my situation. The forum is a wonderful thing. people should try to remember why we came here in the first place. it sure wasn't to be judged. thanks again.
I think I'm of 2 minds on this, and have probably displayed as much...on the one hand, youre right fitty...sometimes when you're admonishing against a considered "vice" it might infer that the admonisher has no problems of their own and has all the answers....therefore they have the "right" to point their fingers at other people, when of course, they don't, not coming from that place anyway...people do come on here for help, and no one is perfect.

In my opinion though, I don't think most posters are coming from a place like that..I don't think most people who speak against this kind of self abuse are being self-righteous, although it might seem like that...I know I may  have come off like that, and that's unfortunate, cause I have plenty of problems, still do and probably always will, I'm a work in progress like anyone else...

on the other hand, I think some of us willingly go into a lot of denial about how serious this situation is, I know I do.....I don't drink, but I probably manifest my denial in other ways...and sometimes it's good for another human being to plainly say, hey, wake up! quit kidding yourself here, this is serious business! Probably doesn't always work, but at times it might....Sometimes I haven't really HEARD people unless they spoke to me really plainly and loudly...but yeah, you gotta point...
I was negative at 6 months. Why?
I think I misunderstood you, I guess you mean you were negative at 6 months, but still treating? if that's the case, I think youre doctor telling you you can have a glass of wine at a wedding, is different then routinely drinking while you are on treatment...you probably answered your own question, sorry if I spoke out of line...best to you...
Hopefully the main point is not being lost with all this psychobabble. And that point is that it's completely nuts to drink alcohol during treatment and frankly lvmysts non chalant manner about drinking 3-4 drinks a week leaves me a little puzzled.

-- Jim
as you know nothing about me....

all i know is ppl on here are dead set about saving their hides and take their disease seriously. Then every now and again you get ppl whom ask if its okay if they drink
whilst they are on treatments. I'm sure they would have been told by the medical professions to NOT DRINK. ppl like that come on in and haunt me .Do u not think thats outrageous ?
or are you one of those moronic imbeciles that also drink and treat at the same time.

vmysts? YOU NEED TO STOP DRINKING. its kinda offensive to drink when ur battling this virus.
I wish you the best!
gee Jim, we all have our own styles, psyco babble?
Psychobabble, had to look that one up, ROTFLMAO! Yeah I had a couple of encounters with those types before. Yep, every time I’d walk on to a new car lot, lol. LOL!

jasper
Apologies, yesterday was a bad day and I what should have been intended as satire came out wrong. But what I did want to say is that I'm a bit surprised, given your (and others) often strong stance on even social drinking after SVR, why "lvym" is being given somewhat of a pass for drinking 3-4 drinks while on treatment! Understanding is wonderful, but that was an over the top post with what I sensed to be a cavalier attitude about this on lvym's part from the beginning. And while I've criticized others for inferring that you can never tell who is "real" and who isn't here -- I do want to point out again that this is "lvym's" first and only post at MH, as far as I can tell.

-- Jim

-- Jim
I am just saying that it would be alot more effective to chose our words carefully. And to have the up front intention to be of HELP...and be careful not to be offensive...and sometimes hurtful.
This is a help forum...I have seen a few people slapped in the face here, and alot probably never come back...and they need this place ,..and that negates alot of the good that you all do. have a nice day.
I posted to lvmysts because it seemed his(?) post was not being answered. I did not want to bash him about the drinking and give him my thoughts on his URQ pain.

Lvmysts. I asked about your PCR results and liver grade because it has much bearing on your SVR rate. Ppl that test to a UND level at 4 months seem to have a greater percent of SVR than ppl who are UND after 12 weeks. Also the degree of damage to the liver may affect the outcome of SVR.
Are you saying that your first PCR was at 6 months or you were first UND at 6 months?
"I asked my doctor if I could have a glass of wine at a wedding ...Unfortunately she said yes...so...about three or 4 times a week i have a glass."

Since I know nothing about your "situation" I can only guess this must be a 'spiritual' issue.

"Go forth and sin no more."
I read somewhere that people with Hep C and liver disease should not eat raw oysters.  Is this true?  Are there any type of suppliments that should be taken or he should stay away from?
Hubby tried the treatment but it didn't work.  You all seem to know so much.  What types of questions should be asked?  He has stomach verices because his liver is bad.  Does anyone on this forum have this?
You might have come up UND but you are NOT YET SVR and you have no idea if you will be or not.  That is why people are mystified that you would be drinking right now on treatment because it's so stupid it just boggles the mind that you would be doing it.  Why bother treating? You don't even know you've succeeded and you're already hurting your liver - yes very well it could be the virus is back and the liver damage is causing the pain.  Very easily so.

No doctor on this planet would say it's ok to drink on treatment or before you have been considered SVR.  None.  Drinking on treatment can cause the virus to come right back through - so yes it is possible that you have relapsed and the pain is from progressive liver damage.  Sure.  No reason that it couldn't have.

Why are you bothering to do treatment at all?  Please don't try and convince anyone here that a doctor said it was ok to drink AT ALL on treatment because we all do know better.

Assuming you're not a "gee, is drinking alcohol bad?" troll, you might have gallstones. Gallstones are very common in those with HCV. Eating greasy foods can trigger gallbladder pain, which manifests itself pretty much just as you described. Also, from my experience with gallstones, drinking alcohol can also trigger or exacerbate gallbladder attacks. Bottomline, obviously stop drinking during treatment and get a gallbladder ultrasound to see if you might have some stones in there causing the problem. Happy trolling!
blah blah blah - I think these "can I drink threads" are all coming from the same person with multiple names - Just to get a reaction - All so boring if you ask me
*yawn*
I think we have to differentiate the very legitmate of question of whether it's OK (and how much) alcohol to drink (or not) after SVR or even before treatment. I think this a very legitmate issue and it was certainly on my mind both before and after treatment, and in fact asked my doctor as I assume many here have as well.

That said, drinking 3-4 drinks a week DURING TREATMENT is a bit over the top, and "lvmysts" cavalier attitude toward the whole issue makes one pause on a number of levels.

Also, I think it's legitimate to tell someone they're doing something stupid without having it come off that you mean the person is stupid. To be clear again, drinking during treatment is stupid and maintaining a cavalier attitude about it afterwards may indicate that the person involved needs some help, be it a real person or not.

-- Jim
at 3 mos. my numbers dropped from 40000,000 to 50 on both tests. the one test came back negative, the second still showed I had some of the disease.at 6 mos. as i stated before, they were both negative. I do not appreciate being called a liar..My doctor did not give her blessings to get "drunk". Her exact words were..."I guess a glass wouldn't kill you"... I am not as knowledgeable as most of you on this forum because I tried to not hear all the medical Jargon...she is a wonderful doctor and I put it in her hands. I am also a "very real" person who did not mean to sound cavalier as you guys put it....I was afraid to let her know, so I came to mf . I guess that wasn't the answer. Good-bye and God Bless to you all.
                                          Love-My-Saints
why why are you drinking???????  do you want to get well or die?
My best to you and I hope you beat your Hep. As you can see, drinking is a very touchy subject around here. Sometimes a "NEW" person will sign up just to start up a fight. I don't think that about you.
your life is ultimately your choice I  just lost my husband  5 months ago  we did treatment mine worked his didn't not a fun ride . The Doc.'s very one from another so its what ever you want but if its causing you pain thats a good sign to stop again this is said only with love
you are obviously one of those pissed off opinionated moronic imbeciles that doesn't care about anyone else...
no I don't know you and wouldn't want to.
To change the subject -- and I don't want to appear negative -- but treatment is generally stopped if you are still virus positive 24 weeks after beginning treatment. The reason is that your odds of SVR are almost nil at that point. If what you are saying is that you were still detectible six months into treatment, I'd suggest you get another opinion from a liver specialist (hepatologist) before continuing treatment. Apologies if I suggested you weren't for real, but the issue of whether you continue or not continue to treat, is a lot more important than any of the previous internet nonsense. In short, you don't want to subject yourself to these drugs unless there is some reasonable chance of success.

-- Jim
URQ pain can be a symptom of fatty liver disease. Ask your doc about it. Good Luck.
my opinion on the alcohol, is that now is probably a time to take extremely good care of yourself...and your liver...if you can't put down the wine (I know it is very hard to give up) , maybe you need to go to AA.. Or talk to your doc about it...maybe she can help you somehow.I make myself a nice cup of tea at night...and then I forget about the wine after awhile....
I am not treating. But I AM having a very hard time not drinking...so you are not alone...
best wishes..
I do not want to get into another "is it ok to drink" question because this is NOT the same as THIS specific question.

For someone who wasn't even clear of the disease until AFTER 24 weeks - when your odds have gone down to almost zero - I guess it can't hurt much because with your attitude I'm sorry - you aren't going to and dont deserve to succeed.

I've seen people who've suffered and done all the RIGHT things and then someone like you comes in almost mocking all of us who have TRIED by asking a question that is so ridiculous.........well it's just sad but you don't deserve to win when others have done all the right things and failed. OH not that I honestly think you have much chance of suceeding but since it obviously doesn't mean a thing to you anyway and your just going to drink your liver into a pickle after treatment since you are sort of doing it right now....well good luck.

09/28/07
lost39  you are obviously one of those pissed off opinionated moronic imbeciles that doesn't care about anyone else...  

That is the most ASSININE statements I've EVER read.  IF you don't want the CORRECT answer to a question and just want to hear what you WANT to hear...then don't bother asking the question in the first place

Lvmysts got all honest answers from people in here and chooses to ignore the love and caring they showed by ANSWERING in a frank and honest way.  If you think it's rude that we find this almost to be a joke because it's so pitiful and obvious that drinking obviously supercedes SVR - then you have to get your head out of your ***.

Two of my friends died of this disease recently - neither of them stopped drinking/getting high and eventually paid for it.  A woman I know with two lovely daughters developed liver cancer and will die. So keep on keepin on and party hardy. Everyone knows that alcohol can and will interupt the entire process of interferon/ribavirin so if you like playing russian roulette with a loaded gun - go for it.

so...if you think we don't take it seriously in here and we're being "mean" or something then you are wrong.

But when someone posts the truth you have two choices - to take the advise or ignore it.

If lvmysts liver is being progressively damaged worse and worse by still having the virus and throwing gasoline by the fire.............how is that anybody elses fault?

Again the doctor said "A" drink if you have to and you've already got it up to 3 - 5.  She did not advocate drinking AT ALL. I think she figured maybe once at a wedding..........you're taken it out of context completely and on purpose your doctor did NOT GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO DRINK MODERATELY DURING TREATMENT - she just knew that you were going to do it anyway. NO DOCTOR WOULD ADVOCATE DRINKING MODERATELY WHILE ON INTERFERON EVER. Maybe you need to take a look at if you should be treating the alcoholism BEFORE the hepatitis because seriously - I've had enough of this.

You yourself said it best and showed the proof - your doctor did NOTTTTT GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO DRINK LIKE YOU ARE - THERE IS NO EXCUSE NOW CUT IT OUT BEFORE YOU DIE.

" I asked my doctor if I could have a glass of wine at a wedding... AFTER my 6 month virals came back negative. Unfortunately she said yes...so... about three or 4 times a week i have a glass. "

Get a prescription for an antianxiety pill the next time you do treatment.  You will unfortunately see what your logic has done to you because it's probably already to late.

And I am NOT being judgemental but I am an alcoholic in sobriety so I DO know how hard it is...it just doesn't work to try to pretend.
my words to lost 39 were in responce to his earlier saying that to me which was assinine... lmysts got some really good answeres from people...I am not going to argue with you...and I am not disputing any of the truths anyone said about the drinking....My reaction was to the rudeness...and the anger that people throw around here is awful.
I was not going to write anymore...but I need to apologize to those of you who have suffered through this horriffic disease. Although I have had this for 25 years, I was fortunate that it never reared it's ugly head. I found out by accident when I went to get bloods for an impending surgery. My doctor did a biopsy an found my liver to be normal. Three years later we repeated it and she found it had become a little inflamed...so...here I am waiting to find out what will happen in ten weeks. By the way Jim, I think you read my notes wrong. At 3 months I was und on one of them and 50 or below on the other. At 6 months... that was June... both tests were undetected. Once again... I am so sorry for my ignorance...and once again...God Bless you all.
                                                             Love-My-Saints
Thanks for clarifying your viral load results, but I'm still a little confused. Are you saying you had two different viral load tests at week 12, and the first one showed UND and the second one was under 50 IU/ml or the result read "<50"? Because if it's the latter, then that means you were UND down to the tests limit which is 50 IU/ml. But if it was the former -- that you had detectible virus (but below 50) at week 12, then studies suggest you will need to treat longer than 24 weeks to have a decent chance at SVR. Do you happen to know the names of the two tests you were given and what the sensitivity of each test was.

-- Jim
Meant to say " then studies suggest you will need to treat longer than 48 weeks..."
I asked if you were one of those,  moronic imbeciles that also drink and treat at the same time.  you admitted ...."I am not treating. But I AM having a very hard time not drinking...so you are not alone...
you may not not be treating, or your not be stupid enough to come on here and admit it...but from i gather u have problems with  drinking and ur in a hepC forum which tells me there is that remote possibility that u may share this virus too...

so then you are all bitter and twisted individual that cant handle the truth about having a problem drinking, so in my books you do fit the stupid moronic bitter and twisted imbecile  category
dude, drinking is a bad thing and if u have no control go seek help
if you have hep C, then dearest lord, STOP !
If ur treating for hepC and drinking, then i better not say....

I'm really not a pissed of individual, I've reached SVR and still do not opt to drink, or smoke or get high on drugs...But i guess i still am wounded from having hepc and going through those treatments and reading about ppl on here relapsing .... so yea, i give pissed off when those ppl tried their best, they didn't drink and yet they relapsed.

hey its okay, im also an imbecile too, as i new when i was shooting up i was gonna introduce the virus in me about 15yrs ago... i was warned i had a choice.
Best of luck with your drinking problems
BYES
no problem, like Sunspot said, this is always a touchy question and one of those questions where most everybody is right on some counts, even though they seem at odds...we don't want to alienate people, or make them feel judged, etc...

and then again, we want to direct these answers to other adults, assuming they really want our opinions, some of these opinions we have came by out of hard and fast lives, and we know what we are talking about, many of us have been there...

Also, a lot of bright people on here who do their homework, many of us don't come to these opinions out of idle guessing...it's worth staying here to get good info and support, if you don't like one person's opinion, go to another post you do like...

But if someone doesn't want to hear the truth, they won't, seen that enough for myself...

There is a woman who lives near me who is drop dead gorgeous, like a movie star a mixture of Nicole Kidman and Charlize Theron, 24 years old with a great job, she's bright, capable, etc...

And she's drinking so much wine at night when she gets home from her job, she's imagining she's seeing bugs and mites all over her place, she keeps buying new furniture, clothes, etc...then throwing them out after she orders her place fumigated all the time..people are having a field day at the dumpster out in back of her place because there is such an embarrassment of riches out there...almost every day. I've seen dates she's had, walk away from her apt. really, really fast...lol...(sorry for the sick humor)

I told her she might consider that she has a drinking problem, and that I would be glad to take her anywhere, etc...but that's all I can do, the rest is up to her, and I gotta leave my knee jerk "fix another person" mechanism off and let it go...

she might have years of drinking left, maybe even kill herself or mess up her life bad doing it, or she might quit for good next week, it's up to her, if I nag her anymore then that, then it becomes my problem...that's something I have to work on, always trying to fix people, lol...
Forsee: There is a woman who lives near me who is drop dead gorgeous, like a movie star a mixture of Nicole Kidman and Charlize Theron..at night when she gets home from her job, she's imagining she's seeing bugs and mites all over her place...
-------------------------------------------
That's terrible. Terrible. You know, I came into a lot of knowledge about fumigation/extermination when reseaching out my moth problem while on treatment. I think maybe I can help this poor woman out. Do let me know if she's interested.

-- Jim
# 1 you are an ahole.. YOU are a twisted individual. I know my own score and I am not bitter about it. I shared that for lvmsts. NOT for you. Go find a fight somewhere else...I wasn't talking to you...
I shared for anyone who may be able to relate and to offer and ask for support. YOU are just looking for a fight. I'm done.
I shouldn't feed into your BS..and I won't. I WILL and DO take care of myself.  Not your business.
HA HA HA! anything to change this tired subject, but I guess new people do deserve some answers, nonetheless....Hey you two bickering up there!, it's not worth it to stay psst! Just ask Jim and I! lol...Let it blow over, these are just opinions anyway...and the topics change all the time....just my opinion...a guy told me once the reason I never had kids is because my opinions are my kids, lol....
No. I wasn't kidding. I'm quite the fumigation authority. I think this young woman needs some guidance.

(JMJM TURNING OFF THE BEDROOM LIGHTS)"Now, don't be alarmed young lady...see, there are no bugs now. You are safe."
Whoa.... Are you currently toxing?  Looks like Riba rage. We are all here to help and support each other cause we all need it.  Lets just step back and remember...It's the chemo....It's the chemo...
never told you that's a pretty good pic! Is that a punching bag next to your head??? sorry, but I'm nosy....
I'm not txing...39 must be!!!!  Me-  I get sick and tired of people spouting out whatever the heck  they feel like saying..mean people stink and they don't think b4 they speak......extra opinionated people are a dime a dozen...I see and I ignore them all the time....try putting some heart and love and respect out there..people may actually listen to that.... so for me , no it's not the chemo...it's the unkindness, it pzzes me off bad!...(most of you here are pretty cool tho.) Ya know this is certainly a tough world to live  thru somedays...we all have to keep our own tudes in check....cuz it ain't anybody elses fault if your'e not happy,   And there AIN"T nobody specialer than anyone else around here. so jeez if someone comes here for help, give them the benefit of the doubt...they are most likely sick too. Even if you don't like what they may say...(a fake will soon be seen for wht it is) It's not so much the admonishing, it's the judgemental attitudes.
I'm confused as to what exactly u mean by "ahole": Is that like something u resemble perhaps? Stop talking sh*t pal!
If you are drinking and you are on treatments then in my books your must be a first class  d*ck head...Thats all there is to it, and if you cant handle it then P*SS OFF!
there now ive gone down to ur level.

DO SOMETHING WITH THIS DRINKING PROBLEM YOU HAVE.
Forsee to Gauf: Is that a punching bag next to your head???
----------------------------------------------
I think MH has given us  private email for moments like this.
hmmmm, maybe moments like fumigation rites too:)
you started it with the first insult.
and you are way off base.
I’ll always remember’
the moon in September
and the head at the top of the glass

O’ it looked so good’
a full body as such
and a head at the top’
of the….. glasssss!

O’ yes…, I will remember
the Full Moon in September
that reminds me of the last
full head of my….. glasssss!

as this good fellow waddles down the street twirling his umbrella.

Hot damn getter that was good
Lol!

There is nothing wrong with trying to "fix" people...It's when we give up on humanity, that there's a problem. I had a blood transfusion in 1981 which saved my life...but gave me Hep C. The day I found out.. I was angry... but I immediately channeled that into  positive thoughts. After all...they could have given me blood tainted with Aids...or  I could have been a drinker... (in which case I probably would be dead by now). Which brings me back to the  alcohol issue. I never knew this subject would touch so many nerves... but I totally see it differently now that I've read all these opinions. I have never been a drinker... but was introduced to Pinot about four or five years ago...and until this January, have had a glass at dinner almost every night. If I am at a social event I have two. Believe it or not...I have been drunk once in my life! In 1979 at my sons Baptism, someone gave me vodka with orange juice...Let me rephrase that...A FEW vodkas. I got so drunk, I passed out on bedroom floor. My husband took out the polaroid and proceeded to document this. What I saw the next day sickened me. My dad once told me that there is nothing worse than a woman stumbling around a bar... (I probably just set the womans movement back 40 years!)... well this was my home, which made it worse. I felt I left my dignity on the floor. I am five feet tall and weigh 116 lbs.. If I have more than 2 glasses of wine...I am done. When I wrote to ask about the pain on my side, I guess I needed to admit to someone...that after my doc said one glass would not kill me...I was cheating and having 3 or 4 a week. I have never thought that wine was a problem. I felt it  relaxing after working all day... (like men that have a beer when they get home). So now I know your forum was not trying to beat up on me. Some of you sound like there is so much pain within... while others seem very enlightened. Believe it or not...just reading this for a few days has been very theraputic. Continue to share your stories and your advice... you never know how many hearts you will touch.    
I am glad you found the forum.  It is a wonderful group.  Good for you admitting to "cheating".  I think the forum is a safe place and is open to letting any one of us  have our say and ask questions we need to ask.

A myriad of personalities and attitudes makes it all the more helpful and interesting.  

You have touched my heart with your courage to be honest.  TAke care jenn
addendum:  IGNORE THE BULLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The good on this forum far outweighs the negative attitudes & judgemental bu** sh**.   Do Not stop writing!  jenn
Riightttt, like I was talking to you to begin with.....But that's okay, I knew it would come down to this. "I'm over it now."
Do you have hepC?  I'm not asking so i can ridicule u, just curious to know is all. But remember, our biggest glory is not in never failing, but in rising every time we fall.
Wow! My doctor made a joke(?) about "not drinking more than a case a week" to me when I first started. On the second weekend I drank quite a bit both days "because I worked hard and deserved it". That Monday was the absolutely most depressed day of my life and I'm not one to have fits of depression. It scared me to no end.

That Monday and just now reading this thread has confirmed to me that drinking while on tx is the stupidest thing I have ever done in my life. 4 weeks later I still have absolutely no desire to pop open a can of beer, bottle of wine or bottle of bourbon. A thing that came ever so easily to me in the past.

All of you have made an impression. From the comfort thy neighbor to the kick his *** so he won't do it again.

You are all right and I thank you all.

From a newcomer with little experience...
welcome!
I'm ever so glad you are not gonna drink and treat at the same time.You have made me really happy.
Maybe you can tell us about ur stats, whenever ur ready....

cheers!
Frank
maybe if one of our well informed club members explained WHY its bad to drink while you have Hep C , it would be better understood by all .

Any takers?
I think I'd rather contract amoebic dysentery at this point...lol...anyway, hope youre well though...miss your music stories on the other side, wherever...
One of the first things I noticed in your post was that you had quadrupled you dr’s advice. I did not want to rub your face in it on your first post and I’m thrilled that you saw it yourself.
Please do not be a stranger here. Come back often and ask questions or just let us know how you are doing.
WOW.  This has been quite the little string of comments.  Of course lvmysts, you know that when someone says they have 3-4 drinks we're each multiplying it by the factor we'd use if we were telling someone how much we drink.  Just sayin'  I mean, in my mind, you're chuggin it out of a box like I did when I was in college and the cartons are piling up behind the house.  Ok, I'm being a little hyperbolic because the truth is, I hardly ever drink.  I still have bottles of alcohol that I brought to Alabama when I moved here from Texas seven years ago, and they're still full.  Drinking's just not a big deal to me.  It makes me too tired to get everything done that I need to do in the evening.  Zonks me right out.  So not drinking during tx is absolutely no big deal for me.

However, I'm on medication that I am positive is probably not all that great for my liver.  And, some of it I don't have a choice about.  Or I do, but I'm choosing to take it if I need it.

Here's my bit of wisdom on drinking.  Just try to be honest with yourself.  A lot of times, I think that's what gets people into trouble with drinking and various substances in the first place, an unwillingness to face the truth, or at least, a desire to deaden the feelings associated with it a little bit.  How's that for some psycho-babble?  So, if you decide to drink during treatment, your treatment is probably not going to be as effective, particularly the heavier your consumption is.  Hands down, that's a given.  There is contention over whether its ok to drink during the first six months after treatment stops, but one thing about that period is certain.  During that time, your liver is still trying to rid itself from the toxic effects of the treatment itself, so just be honest with yourself that you are piling on if you drink, especially if its frequent and/or to excess.

After those six months have passed, I still say the same thing.  Just be honest with yourself.  If you're drinking what the normal person might consider to be too much and you want to do it anyway, fine.  But announce the fact to yourself and with it, the fact that you're giving your liver a lot of toxins to screen.  Don't try to sugarcoat it or rationalize or whatever. The last person you need to lie to is yourself.  And by the way, I don't think that one drink every once in a while at any point is going to make a clinically significant difference.  The reason I don't recommend it is that I have a feeling that the people who NEED one drink that badly aren't going to stop at one and it isn't going to be every once in a while.  Otherwise, why would you do it at all during this phase in your life when you're working through the hep c virus.

And by the way, just so I can make everyone angry in an equal opportunity sort of way, I don't think drinking is the only area in which hep c'rs are sometimes in denial.  I think they are in denial over treatment at times.  I think people put treatment off and rationalize it with all sorts of excuses when really, they just don't want to deal with the side effects, or maybe they just don't want to admit that they are sick.  They feel like their liver is "ok" because they are at this stage and this grade when a host of new studies show that hep c has an impact on other systems in the body.  If you have hep you are sick.  And there is new research coming out all the time showing just how damaging hep c is.  That old adage that you don't die of hep c, you die with it?  That is becoming increasingly less true as the role of this disease in renal failure and other issues is being shown.

And in parting, I don't think that because someone chooses to drink or not to drink, or hell, if they're shooting up heroin up every day, that they deserve the support of this forum any less.  If there is a perfect person here, then gee, I'd like to meet you.  But to my knowledge, nobody has made me a deity yet.  I've got plenty of opinions, but nobody has given me the authority to judge other people or to say whether or not they deserve to be on treatment or deserve answers to their questions.  This is a medhelp board.  To berate someone for having the honesty to talk about something that perhaps (I don't know, just speculating) others are doing in private instead of educating them and answering their question is not terribly helpful.  In my view.  

.
well said, alagirl...
The tx is so costly that lots can't even afford it and of course if you have insurance,,,,you are totally amazed at how costly your 6 months to a year or longer will cost you and thankful you aren't writing the check.  I wanted to do it one time only and went so much by the book...it was probably over parenoid but I didn't want to have to repeat due to maybe taking some drinks.  Would a dr recommend this?  Honestly wouldn't surprise me as lots of drs don't feel it would harm but for everyone that says ok to drink during tx,,,,I bet there would be a 100 that would say no.  
Best of Luck to you...
After having a small drink or two occasionally durring the first few weeks of treatment trying to gradually give it up, I am now at week 18 and test as a non-responder. (viral load decreased but not near 0) I would give anything to go back and skip those few drinks. I can't help but wonder if that prevented the early response. My ins has refused to cover meds now (due to lack of early resopnse) and I am being told to stop tx and just live with the disease. It's hard to accept that there's nothing to be done. I feel very alone and worry about facing the rest of my life feeling this way. I was a heavy drinker for the last 20 years. Stopping has not been difficult when you put it this way: choose one-- Vodka bottle or life! It is your duty to yourself and your family to do whatever it takes to make the tx a success. I sure hate to saddle my family with a sickly wife/ Mom to deal with. I want to be around and able to see my future grandchildren. I hate that they will never remember me as an active vital person, only as a sickly old lady.
Call one of the Pharm companies directly... ask for the PATIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM... see if you qualify... they MAY be able to assist you in paying for tx... DO NOT GIVE UP...!
Emily, I'm sorry to hear about about the non-response.  It's what each of us fears going into treatment.  At least, as a type 1b, I know it is my greatest fear as I wait for the doc's office to get my medication set up so I can start.  I agree with Sherri though.  Pursue every avenue and don't give up.  Also, your doctor can always write to your insurance company on your behalf and if that doc won't, switch docs.

It is my feeling that it is important enough to try to clear this disease that all measures must be explored.  That includes moving, writing in to try get into one of the studies, joining AA, whatever it takes.  While you do still carry hep c, it is true that any drinking helps the virus spread and it damages your liver more so when making your decision about whether to continue while not in treatment, you need to have that knowledge.  I don't know where you live or whether you have tried AA or other counseling programs before but in this case, I would consider it more vital than ever for you to attend so that you will stay sober.  Good thoughts for you.
Thanks for the pep talk! I have an appointment at Vanderbuilt (TN) to see a hepatoligist there. I live in a small town. My Dr is a gastro/Hepatoligist but I fear he may not be up with the latest research. I am fortunate that I can afford the meds, but don't know if I should ignore Drs advice and continue treatment. I am type 1a, which is the most difficult to eradicate. It makes sense to me that 12 weeks of tx with NO alcohol should yield better results. So far, alcohol has not been a temptation (after I resigned myself to the fact that I can never drink again) . In fact I am quite relieved and proud to have that monkey off my back. Right now I feel like I can stay sober for the rest of my life (however shortlived that may be)
This is just my view.  I think EVERYONE should treat.  Here's why.  Every day you're treating is another day that the virus is not replicating and is another day your liver and the rest of your body get a rest from it.

There is a doctor in Denver who says it would be beneficial for NINETY PERCENT of those with end-organ liver damage who are on the transplant list to treat anyway.  This is pretty unprecedented but I agree with him.  

Of course, I have always been this way about my medical issues.  I have two: normocytic anemia of chronic disease and high blood pressure (I don't really count my migraines because they are more of annoyance than something that causes damage to my body).  I take my medication for blood pressure every day and it works great.  I have a million friends who are noncompliant with their medication for high bp.  Every day they do that is another day they weaken their blood vessels.  I don't want to stroke out early, so I have no problem taking a pill, even if it makes me a little tired.

Same thing with the anemia.  My body, for whatever reason, doesn't make erythropoeitin appropriately.  So I'm on procrit (epogen actually).  It used to make me feel like I had the flu but I took it because I needed it.  It doesn't bother me anymore now.  

And now I have hep c.  And I can promise you that I will approach it exactly the same way.  I don't intend to neglect this medical issue any more than I have the other medical issues I've dealt with.  I'm going to treat, and if it doesn't, god forbid, work, then I am going to treat again, harder and longer.
Do not ignore your doctor's advice. If in doubt about what he/she says, then see another liver specialist (hepatologist) for a consult.

Studies suggest that your chances of being cured if not undectible by week 12 are very low unless you extend to 72 weeks. But if you're still detectible at week 24, then your chances are almost non-existent. To continue on with the drugs with no chance of being cured is a bad choice unless a liver specialist can give you a good reason -- for example, that you have significant liver damage and they want to treat longer to slow or stop the rate of that damage.

That said, if you are highly motivated, ask for a 24 week test. If you're UND at week 24, and want to treat a total of 72 weeks, then that's an option. But frankly, I wouldn't treat for  72 weeks unless I had a lot of liver damage -- stage 3 or 4 -- but that's just my opinion, I'm sure some others would.

As to the couple of drinks you took during treatment, don't kick yourself about it, it's water under the damn. Drinking during treatment is not a good idea but that doesn't mean that the little alcohol you took made a difference. Hopefully, you have learned something from all this and alcohol can be something in your past, not in your future.

All the best,

-- Jim