alcohol and liver pain
I HAVE RECNTLY COMPLETED NINE MOS. OF TX. MY VIRALS ARE ALL NEGATIVE BUT I STILL HAVE ABOUT 11 WEEKS LEFT OF SHOTS AND RIBAVARIN. I HAVE BEEN HAVE EXPERIENCING PAIN IN UPPER RIGHT SIDE, GOING TOWARDS MY BACK. COULD THIS BE ATTRIBUTED TO MY HAVING A GLASS OF WINE 3-4 TIMES A WEEK?
My URQ went away on tx. after tx the pain came back, briefly. I have read where some other folks on tx have had the URQ pain apprear on tx.
My question to you is Have you heard that drinking with Hep is like throwing gas on a fire? Give your liver a break so it can heal.
May I ask at what week you became UND? Oh yes,and at what grade your biopsy was?
it never ceases to boggle my mind, why would you go through that hell, and then drink through it, knowing there might be a "risk" there, even just a risk...that it could interfere with it...

In actual fact, the tx drugs are hard on the liver, even though they can clear the virus out of the system....very hard on all the organs and glands, the kidneys.....any chemotherapy is...why would you make it even that much harder on your liver, while it's trying to process the chemotherapy?

Give your body a break, it needs all the help it can get right now, not hindrances..sorry if I sound preachy, don't mean to, just don't understand this...if you need something to help you relax if youre jittery and really amped up, why not take an occasional very low dose medication, as needed, to help you get through treatment...it's a fact that this is a lot less hard on the system while youre treating, then alcohol is, at least my doc told me this...and I've heard and read the same. Hope you feel better soon.
I had URQ discomfort towards end of tx 2. Doc said it was due to the liver reparing itself. Hmmm...  Now that I am relapsed, I have URQ pain (like a cramp with heat) plus I have developed portal hypertension. The virus came back with a vengous. From 25000 to 4 mil 6 mos post. So hard to say if your pain is good or bad. I quit drinking in 1987 and never looked back. If I hadn't, then you would not be reading this. Give it up and live.
Dude, haven't had a drink in about two years....and the last time was ONE drink, and my liver function tests have doubled because of the treatment.  so i'm saying it is not helping you one bit if the treatment alone can cause LFT small spikes.

deb
Ive had URQ ever since I started 1st tx in 04/05. I did not drink at all during tx.  After tx doc said I could have a drink occasionaly but never a binge. I had 2 glasses of wine 4 July 06. Still had the pain even w/out the wine.
After I relapsed in Sep 06 I started 2nd tx. Not 1 thought of a drink during tx. Still had URQ. After tx doc said I could have a drink once in a while. To moderation of course. Still have URQ. Ive had a few beers since tx. I will NEVER drink excessively again & I was a big partier and drank right much in the past.
If you cant quite quit seek help. No shame in that at all.

triggertime

I might not be any good but Im slow.
here we go again,
another person with no self respect and treating
here we go again ...another insulting judgement on another human being...who has asked for help.. I bet you're probably one of those short tempered people who has all kinds of faults just like the rest of us...but thinks somehow you are just great...that's what you sound like anyhow...
have a little heart please...you know nothing about this person's life or situation..do you actually think your reply was of any help to that person? I doubt that that's what you intended anyway.. CRABBY!!!
crazy to drink if u ask me, duh!! anyone can see what will happen..save a life dont drink and swallow .. life is a gift from GOD this could be ur 2nd chance to serve him.. Take care
thank you for the support!!  I asked my doctor if I could have a glass of wine at a wedding... AFTER my 6 month virals came back negative. Unfortunately she said yes...so... about three or 4 times a week i have a glass. My reasoning was that it's "only" 11% alcohol. Of course it's ridiculous, but as you said, lost39 knows nothing about my situation. The forum is a wonderful thing. people should try to remember why we came here in the first place. it sure wasn't to be judged. thanks again.
I think I'm of 2 minds on this, and have probably displayed as much...on the one hand, youre right fitty...sometimes when you're admonishing against a considered "vice" it might infer that the admonisher has no problems of their own and has all the answers....therefore they have the "right" to point their fingers at other people, when of course, they don't, not coming from that place anyway...people do come on here for help, and no one is perfect.

In my opinion though, I don't think most posters are coming from a place like that..I don't think most people who speak against this kind of self abuse are being self-righteous, although it might seem like that...I know I may  have come off like that, and that's unfortunate, cause I have plenty of problems, still do and probably always will, I'm a work in progress like anyone else...

on the other hand, I think some of us willingly go into a lot of denial about how serious this situation is, I know I do.....I don't drink, but I probably manifest my denial in other ways...and sometimes it's good for another human being to plainly say, hey, wake up! quit kidding yourself here, this is serious business! Probably doesn't always work, but at times it might....Sometimes I haven't really HEARD people unless they spoke to me really plainly and loudly...but yeah, you gotta point...
I was negative at 6 months. Why?
I think I misunderstood you, I guess you mean you were negative at 6 months, but still treating? if that's the case, I think youre doctor telling you you can have a glass of wine at a wedding, is different then routinely drinking while you are on treatment...you probably answered your own question, sorry if I spoke out of line...best to you...
Hopefully the main point is not being lost with all this psychobabble. And that point is that it's completely nuts to drink alcohol during treatment and frankly lvmysts non chalant manner about drinking 3-4 drinks a week leaves me a little puzzled.

-- Jim
as you know nothing about me....

all i know is ppl on here are dead set about saving their hides and take their disease seriously. Then every now and again you get ppl whom ask if its okay if they drink
whilst they are on treatments. I'm sure they would have been told by the medical professions to NOT DRINK. ppl like that come on in and haunt me .Do u not think thats outrageous ?
or are you one of those moronic imbeciles that also drink and treat at the same time.

vmysts? YOU NEED TO STOP DRINKING. its kinda offensive to drink when ur battling this virus.
I wish you the best!
gee Jim, we all have our own styles, psyco babble?
Psychobabble, had to look that one up, ROTFLMAO! Yeah I had a couple of encounters with those types before. Yep, every time I’d walk on to a new car lot, lol. LOL!

jasper
Apologies, yesterday was a bad day and I what should have been intended as satire came out wrong. But what I did want to say is that I'm a bit surprised, given your (and others) often strong stance on even social drinking after SVR, why "lvym" is being given somewhat of a pass for drinking 3-4 drinks while on treatment! Understanding is wonderful, but that was an over the top post with what I sensed to be a cavalier attitude about this on lvym's part from the beginning. And while I've criticized others for inferring that you can never tell who is "real" and who isn't here -- I do want to point out again that this is "lvym's" first and only post at MH, as far as I can tell.

-- Jim

-- Jim
I am just saying that it would be alot more effective to chose our words carefully. And to have the up front intention to be of HELP...and be careful not to be offensive...and sometimes hurtful.
This is a help forum...I have seen a few people slapped in the face here, and alot probably never come back...and they need this place ,..and that negates alot of the good that you all do. have a nice day.
I posted to lvmysts because it seemed his(?) post was not being answered. I did not want to bash him about the drinking and give him my thoughts on his URQ pain.

Lvmysts. I asked about your PCR results and liver grade because it has much bearing on your SVR rate. Ppl that test to a UND level at 4 months seem to have a greater percent of SVR than ppl who are UND after 12 weeks. Also the degree of damage to the liver may affect the outcome of SVR.
Are you saying that your first PCR was at 6 months or you were first UND at 6 months?
"I asked my doctor if I could have a glass of wine at a wedding ...Unfortunately she said yes...so...about three or 4 times a week i have a glass."

Since I know nothing about your "situation" I can only guess this must be a 'spiritual' issue.

"Go forth and sin no more."