Hepatitis C Community
alternative medicine

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

alternative medicine

Has anyone heard of treating hep c with all herbal treatments? Has anyone heard of a book called "Triumph Over Hepatitis C" by Lloyd Wright? I have a friend who refuses to treat with interferon and is treating hep c with all herbal treatments. Anyone else going this route??
Not a popular name for obvious reasons.   You can plug his name into the "search this community" for more reading.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/lloyd-wright/show/98360
This guys been discussed on the forum many times, he's a quack.When I was first diagnosed I came across this idiot and almost wanted to believe it myself. Unfortunately he's just trying to sell a book and other stuff. Your friend is just wasting a lot of money for nothing.
I have gone the alternative route and while I may have helped support my liver somewhat, there is no herb that can match this mack truck monster of a virus.I understand why your friend refuses Inteferon...tell him about the new drugs, maybe he can get in a study in April. Side effects are not as severe as they are from inteferon. Take it from a serious alternative medicine adherent-the only way to beat this is by using the pharmaceuticals we so distrust..
I used herbs (not your guy, but a naturopath/meleculer biologist and he kept my load very, very low for decades, but it's a mutating virus so he couldn't really ever make it go away permimentantly. I started this new triple Therapy five weeks ago (Incivik, Interferon, Ribavirin) and have an amazingly good experience but I've augmented the treatment with herbs and accupuncture and anti-depresents. I've found a slew of great solutions to the 'nightmare symptoms'. I started writing a journal and eventually posted it here Hep-Free.com. Both worlds can really help each other and I have my doctors total blessing. Best of luck to you. You're not alone
When you say your friend is "treating hep c with all herbal treatments" do you mean he/she believes a cure will be achieved through these "treatments"?

I think there are many people with such distrust in any treatment that involves pharmaceuticals that they will convince themselves that something else might work.  That isn't the case with HCV.  Period.  

Your friend may as well just flush his/her money down the toilet rather than going to all the trouble of ordering snake oil online and ingesting it.  It'll end up in the same place anyway...

It would be wonderful if something less toxic could cure us, wouldn't it? :)
Here I go with this story again:

When first diagnosed, I was determined to find an alternative treatment to interferon.
Eventually, this led me to an herbalist who is also an MD.
She said, "no herbal treatment is known to get rid of hep C."

Then she said, herbs and supplements could help me with both the symptoms of hep C/liver disease and the side effects of interferon treatment.

"Has anyone heard of treating hep c with all herbal treatments?"
Sure we all have. You can find people that will tell anyone who will listen they have the cure for being overweight to a cure for all cancers. There have always been and I guess always will be people trying to make a buck off of other people's misery or those who live in their own fantasy world who believe their own fantasies.

"I have a friend who refuses to treat with interferon and is treating hep c with all herbal treatments. Anyone else going this route?? "
There are always people who can't face reality and try to take the easy way out. Unfortunately the virus doesn't care what anyone thinks about it. It will continue to replicate itself a trillion times a day within his liver while it progressively injuring it.

No "alternative medicine" has been proven to prevent the damage the hepatitis C virus causes or has been shown to cure hepatitis C.

The only proven way to be cured of hepatitis C is to use the approved treatment drugs for hepatitis C treatment or try one of the new treatments that are being tested on human beings in clinical trials.

Good luck.
Hector
Thanks everyone for your responses. So many people on here are so knowledgeable. I feel so naieve. I feel so weighed down by this whole thing. I just want it to go away. I don't know what is the best choice to make. To treat the regular way or to do a trial.....sigh.
Take your time to read and educate yourself.  This is a very difficult and complex decision that shouldn't be hurried. Use this forum to help understand and prepare yourself to have a better, in-depth discussion with your doctor.  Knowing what questions to ask is important.  Several have gone the trial route and can guide you toward trials worth exploring, depending on your area.  Here's some info to read and you can search for more.  

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/community/trials.asp
That is great to know-any suggestions for cirrhosis? I have heard hep-tech is good
If you are desperate enough anything can sound good.  Personally I'd ask Hector if he uses the stuff and go with that.
Yes. I was diagnosed in '90 & tried every alternative thing I could find for years. And a lot of money went to Wright & his solution but it did not touch the virus. The good news is I learned a lot of good stuff about herbs & vitamins that I still use today. I just wish I had known about this site back when I was throwing money away. Eventually my GP told me it was time to suck it up & deal with it & it turned out that I was 1a stage 3+ &VL of 12 mil which even shocked the dr. So I have the hardest to cure & early signs of cirrhosis.  So it was a waste of time & money.  My 1st go around was not bad but was stopped cuz it quit working so I can only hope that this new stuff gets rid of it.  
I have a great hepC specialist & I asked her this Q. She said if you have ins. To use it because a lot of trials will not treat your side effects like prescribe something for nausea, stomach stuff, lack of sleep, anemia, headaches etc. so that made that choice easy cuz I'm not into suffering anymore than I have to.
Making statements like "herbs kept my HCV in check for years" are not valid.  One has no way of knowing whether the herbs had any effect at all.  HCV progression is differnt in everyone.  There is know correlation between VL and damage to the liver.
Hi, back when I was diagnosed I bought this book, I did not know he sold anything.  I just thought he had written this book to help others.  I know better now and about to take my 18th injection.  It is working my mind is clearer than it has been in years.  Yes it has been hard for me however everyone is different and there is no way to know who will get what sx.  I feel blessed to be on this side of tx, if I had to do it again, knowing I would have a drug interaction and be severely anxious for 3 weeks I would do it again.