Hepatitis C Community
alternative treatment

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

alternative treatment

has anyone out there had any succsess with nutrition therapy  opposed to drugs ive got about four months to decide if i want to do the drug thing.im leaning against it. ....thanks
I have been thinking like you...I will be going Monday to get results of Liver Biopsy so I don't know how long I will have to make up my mind.  Found out 2 months ago.(about the Hepc)....have been a vegetarian for about a year..for other reasons..and now I have been using other herbs for the last 2 months..I am trying God's Remedy (godsremedy.com)and also have looked into www.liverdoctor.com...I feel great and I am really not looking forward to the tx because it goes against everything I am trying to maintain...BUT...what do you do?  I was hoping I could get a head start with the diet and herbs..guess I will find out soon and I hope i can have some time like you...
Special foods and herbs might do some good, but they don't eradicate the virus.  Calling these products 'treatment' implies that they are on the same footing as a medically proven treatment like INF.  That is very misleading.  Dave
if you just want to improve your overall health, nutrition, supplements and exercise will do fine, if you are not beyond stage 1 in your biopsy.

The ONLY proven method to erradicate the virus at this point is interferon and ribavirin. That is it. Any testimonials out there that claim to have cure their HCV, I would demand medical proof of zero viral load.

Been diagnosed with HCV it 's scary and you have to decide to live with it and the fear of accidental transmission to others or rapid progression in your individual case or give Tx a chance while you are younger and stronger to withstand it. Aging lowers our chances for a successful Tx, as does increased damage to the liver. If the time is right, go for it, is what I say.
Just another person concurring with all who have posted above.  I am another one who is particular about my diet (organic, juicing, etc.) and exercise.  It seems ironic to pay twice as much for everything organic to avoid pesticides, and then inject interferon into your body!  However.... my mother (who did not have hepC) would be alive today if she had participated a little more actively in traditional medicine.  She treated her body like a temple--never drank, never smoked, ate her veggies and was always into the latest natural health info, looked about 20 yrs younger than she was and felt better than all her friends who outlived her.  She put ALL her faith in the power of natural healing, and it didn't work out.  I didn't realize until recently that I was doing the exact same thing, and it wasn't going to save me either.  I have been taking beneficial herbs & supplements and feel ok.  I have nothing scientific to offer, no before and after biopsies.  Just one recent biopsy that tells me I'm a fool if I don't attempt to erradicate this virus; I have several things going for me, and time isn't one of them.  I'm scheduled to start treatment in 3 weeks.
You've articulated some very compelling points.  But this still remains a difficult decision for so many of us.  The thread above titled "Lasting Adverse Affects" is compelling, too. And scary. Nevertheless, I wish you much success as you embark on treatment.

Susan
As the wife of sobeit....Thank you all for you input ,advice and encouragement
I agree it is scary.  If we add things up and it looks like our best option, then we have to decide not to be ruled by fear.  Treatment may not be the best option for you or others, depending on how things add up for you.  When I review my previous comment, I see that it may look as though my decision to treat was more simple than it is.  I am 58 years old, stage 2, geno 2b.  Since 2b's have the best shot at svr and the shortest treatment period, that's a factor.  Since I'm not a young lass anymore, that's a factor.  Since I'm on the cusp of a place I don't want to go in terms of liver damage, that's a factor.  Insurance can be a fleeting thing and treatment is $5,000 a month, I'm told--that's a factor. Thank you for your good wishes.
Laika -- Yep, if I were in your shoes, with all of the exact same circumstances you just described, I'd be jumping head-first into treatment, too.  The difference between genotypes 1 and 2 makes all the difference in the world.  

Hopefully the 2's understand that the decision to treat or not treat is much more difficult for us 1's.  With twice the length of treatment and half the chance of success, there's certainly a lot more at stake, physically and emotionally.

I'm confident that you'll clear the virus and put this all behind you once and for all.  Good luck!!

Chevy--Congratulations on your SVR!

Susan

I was dx 3 y.o(age 47 female)genotype 1A, biopsy showed stage 2, level 2 alts and asts around 30. Low. Doctor said I could avoid tx if these all stayed the same since I have been living with it for 30 years and was feeling great.Had no idea I had hep C.  Been a vegitarian 10 years, no alcohol, drugs or cig. Do triathlons, and have a healthy life stye. In Oct, started pain in R side, tiredness.(there is proof that you don;t get sick until you are dx) Check up showed 250/300 liver enzymes and he said I needed to think aboutinterferon tx. 40% chance and women respond better than men (?) I am now into two months of vitamin therapy after trying Dr. Zangs tx that Dr. Weil suggested which didn;t make me feel better. The vitamin tx, along with acupuncture has been helping. I have decided to go for another liver biopsy in the fall, that will make my final decision. I really do not want to do it but who does. At least now I can still function phsically but know that I will loose most of the endurance and stamina which is hard to accept. Good luck with your health. As you can tell from  other people it is never easy.  Keep us posted.
Interesting statement that there's proof people don't fee sick until after they're diagnosed.    Would you mind stating that proof here?    (Btw, that  doesn't chime with my own experience.  I was dx'd only after experiencing very troubling symptoms for a year.)