Hepatitis C Community
anemia med scandal

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

anemia med scandal

Thought some might find this interesting;

Wall Street Journal had an article about a pharmaceutical kickback scheme (Angen and Johnson & Johnson) to doctors who presecribed procrit and epogen for their patients.

Doctors involved netted 2+ million on 9+ million worth of scripts.

FDA investigates at a hearing, tomorrow.

wyntre
WASHINGTON (Reuters) May 08 - U.S. Food and Drug Administration staffers on Tuesday expressed continued caution over the use of anemia drugs sold by Amgen Inc. and Johnson & Johnson, according to an agency document released on Tuesday.

More data is needed on the risks with the drugs, which include Amgen's Aranesp and Epogen and J&J's Procrit, the agency staff said. Changes to the products' labeling may also be appropriate, they added.

The document was released ahead of an FDA advisory panel meeting on Thursday to discuss the risks of using the erythropoiesis-stimulating agents in cancer patients.
It's all about the money.  Many sceintists and lawyers from the drug companies sit on the FDA, then go back to their jobs after they get their beneficial laws passed, or their drugs approved.  This is no secret.  They are private companies, and private companies have only one body to answer to...their stockholders.  That's it.  If you've never heard or seen the interview with the VP of Pfizer and Gary Null, it's one you shouldn't miss.  Spells it all out.
Here's the link to the NYT article:  

"Doctors Reap Millions for Anemia Drugs"

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/health/index.html

wyntre
"If you've never heard or seen the interview with the VP of Pfizer and Gary Null, it's one you shouldn't miss."

Do you have a link to that?  I'd like to read it.

Wyntre
ANd did you know the pharmacuetical companies make larger profits than the oil companies.    
Nope.  but I'm not surprised, now that I know what they charge for peg/ribavarin/neupogen.

wyn
If you're interested in that article, and it's a good one...
http://gnhealth.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1040

Of course, 2 mos later, the vp got fired.  He knew he would,
but did the interview anyway.

Thanks for the oil cos vs pharma cos profits info.
If your brother was an actor instead of a dr, would you still be constantly on the defense for dr.'s, drug companies and laboratory fees????
Many talented actors have had to work hard to be in the field. Many just got by with good looks. Same for dr's.
How come nobody rants about the ridiculous salaries Hollywood actors charge (all for just being born with good looks) and instead ignore the hard work and sacrafice it takes to become a dr.

Thanks for the link.  I'm gonna check it later.

wyn
My brother has nothing to do with it. I have lots of friends that are dr's.

I just hate this constant rant on the evils of dr's making money and pharma companies.

I just listened to Joshua Borger (founder of Vertex) talk about how he is strongly against what Brazil has done recently in allowing generics being used against patent violations.

His claim was that if there is no money to be made, no research will occur.

This is the same guy who is responsible for VX-950. Would he have worked on it if their were no financial incentive for him?

Let dr's/researchers/pharma's make the money. They are at least contributing to society and need above average returns for their efforts.

And while I am on a rant, lets look at Thailand as an example. They are complaining about the cost of drugs from big Pharm. Yet they spend $250,000,000 on an aircraft carrier that everybody agree's they don't need.

The money is there in all the countries for drugs. Its the politicians who run the countries that should be criticized.
It's just entertainment...we pay our money to the ticket booths, and we see a movie, out of choice....or we don't...an actor gets a percentage of that take, cause without their services, there'd be no movie...we can decide not to go to the movie, or go...or we can change the channel...

However, when we're ill, the stakes are a whole lot higher, our health and sometimes our very lives are on the line...and we have no choice- we need to get better...so we have to avail ourselves of the health system here...and it's broken...

there has to be something done about the money, corruption, and politicizing of the drug companies in this country (drug lobbies)....the mark-up on most any med is unbelievable....notwithstanding reseach and development (their usual comeback) everyone is at the Big Pharma Teat...the docs, the attorneys, the insurance co's, even, to a point, oversight agencies...it's out of control...course the patients pay the biggest price...

everyone is grateful for the drugs, and the docs, of course, really grateful...but that doesn't mean we don't have problems with the other...
You make my point exactly.

Its not the actors faults but ours.

We are happy to pay tickets where one person gets $25,000,000 for acting in the movie just to make us laugh.

But when we are sick, we expect others to dedicate their lives to fix our particular situation.

I know the amount of time that is lost to get a dr's degree. The hours spent studying as such.

Let them make their money and not complain unless you have dedicated your time and life for others for no financial return.
don't understand your point, but that's okay...
forget the actors, and the pharm cos. and drs.  
what about the outrageous money CEO's cash in.
Hi JboyHK,

Actually, I posted the link to the article more because I'm concerned that the anemia drugs may not be useful for treating the conditions they're being prescribed for.

It was out of concern for patients health.  For example, if my HgB drops below a certain point and I'm prescribed a med that isn't necessarily effective for my condition I'd prefer to be aware of that so I can try to make an informed decision.

Having said that, although the article refers to the doctors, I agree that 99% are hardworking, caring, skilled professionals.

I wasn't trying to bash doctors, (although i realize that's what you must have thought because of the title of the article) i was just trying to contribute to the knowledge base of people being prescribed the drugs.

IMHO, the real culprits ARE the pharmaceutical companies.

And patients have the right to know if the meds they're prescribed, many of which have serious side effects, are going to help or harm them.

Again, I'm not bashing doctors.

wyntre