Hepatitis C Community
anti HBsAg levels in Hepatitis B resolution phase

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I had severe jaundice one year ago with HBsAg positive status.
LFT was normal after 3 monts (SGOT and SGPT importantly)
No antiviral treatment was taken.
Now the test resultsare confusing.
HBsAg: positive
HBeAg: Negative
Anti-HBsAg : 13.2 mIU/mL
does it mean that antiboies are being formed and the infection will be eliminated. pl interprete.

This is a tough one indeed.  Here are my thoughts, and please anyone else chime in if you want.

- If you have had HBsAG positive for over 6 months, you are considered a chronic carrier.  However, about 90-95% of the people who are infected with HBsAG will develop antibodies on their own (Anti-HBs) within 6 months.  The 6 month mark is a general guideline.

- The cutoff for Anti-HBs for no immunity is less than 5 mIU/mL, and indeterminate between 5 and 12... anything greater than 12 is considered in most reference ranges to be immune against HBsAG.

I have 2 theories here:

1. Your body is developing antibodies at a slow rate, but is currently at the point where the antibodies are at a high enough level to be detected, which MAY indicate that your body will eventually be able to ward off the HBsAG.

2. Perhaps you had a Anti-HBs vaccination in the past?  In which case the remnants of the Antibody vaccine will show up in your lab results.

--I hope this helps.  If you have not had any Anti-HBs vaccines, then your body is definitely building up antibodies on it's own.  That is a good sign.  Please follow up with your doctor to see if that is also his opinion.  As for my own opinion, this would be the point where I ask the doctor to give me a 'booster' injection of Anti-HBs to help my body develop more antibodies to speed up the process of completely fighting off the virus.  Again, that's just my opinion.

Keep us posted!
leeac
Actually i did not have any vaccination against Hepatitis B.
In 2nd week of july i will be doing anti-HBsAg , and HBsAg testing. I will let u know the results as soon as they are done.
If the results appear unchanged then i will perform HBV DNA test also and let u know.
my physician wants to wait till these results are at hand before boostering with the vaccine. he says it may interfere with the HBsAg antigen testing. pl advice