Hepatitis C Community
anybody out there?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

anybody out there?

There are no recent postings so does that mean no one uses this forum anymore?  I  have hep C type 1A, I think doc said my viral load was 27, 000.  I don't know what that means. My liver enzymes are a little high, but he said it's not too bad.  So basically I said I didn't want the treatment.  Doc said I had the type of hec C which is hardest to get rid of or the least receptive to treatment, so why put myself through the treatment if its not going to help, I don't really know, is my viral load that high? or is that considered low?  Hep C people, where are you?
Yes, we are here.  If your viral load is only 27,000, that is a low viral load, however, viral load has nothing to do with liver damage, which may sound contradictory, but it is a fact.  People with high viral loads have little if any liver disease.  It is misconception that many people make when they first hear their viral load.  Having a low viral low is important, however, when and if you ever decide to treat.  People with a low viral load, have a better change at access with treatment, how much better, I don't know.  There are people on this forum that could give you a better answer than me to that question.  Genotype 1-A, which the majority of Americans are, is more difficult to treat than Genotypes 2 & 3, but many genotype 1-As do treat successfully.  

What is really important is getting the results of a liver biopsy.  As they say on this forum, it is the gold standard of what condition the liver is truly in.  I would ask your doctor to schedule a liver biopsy so you will know this important information.  If you have little or no liver disease, it may not be in your best interest to treat.  Treatment is not for everyone.  Also, newer drugs are coming out soon that have been proven in studies to have a higher success rate for Genotypes 1-As.  There are two school of thoughts on treatment.  Some doctors will tell you if you have no liver damage, then it isn't necessary to treat, others say to treat and the earlier the better -- treating earlier also gives you an advantage in treatment success.  There are numerous factors for treatment success aside from just your genotype.  Also, most people with hepatitis C do not suffer ill consequences and can live a long, normal life, but, there is always that chance that something could go wrong.  There are many extrahepatic manifistations of this disease aside from just liver disease.  My suggestion to you is get a liver biopsy, talk to a specialist, consider the risks you could face at some point down the line, consider future and better medications soon to be approved by FDA, and then make your decision.  Also, I'm not sure how you feel physically, but many people with chronic Hep C suffer from fatigue, aches and pains, flu like symptoms, etc.  There are many things to consider and you want to consider everything and get the best information you can.

Good luck,
Debbie
Ditto to what Debbie said. You need the biopsy to know the condition your liver is in now so that you can make an informed decision.

Diane
You said: "People with high viral loads have little if any liver disease".

I doubt you meant to say that.

I assume you meant to say:

"People with high viral loads CAN have little if any liver disease".

Mike