Hepatitis C Community
ascites

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

ascites

my ascites level is 789.59 is that good or bad
That number 789.59 is not the amount of ascites you have, it's the diagnosis code for ascites.  The numbers you are listing after each condition are what's known as ICD-9 codes and have no bearing on the severity of the conditions.

ALT and AST being out of range is not indicative of how much damage has been sustained by the liver.  If you are experiencing ascites, it may indicate damage of the liver, but ascites can also be caused by other factors.  If you have concerns about damage as a result of chronic hep c, the best method of testing is liver biopsy.  Hope that helps. ~eureka
What do you mean "ascites level"? There are degrees of ascites relating to how extended the abdomen becomes but no "level". Ascites is fluid retention in the abdominal area of the body when a person has very advanced liver disease.

What is 789.59? From what test are you getting this number?
Please post exactly what the test results says and then we can be of some help.

thx
Hector
Nikita

Part of the difficulty you may be having understanding what the doctor is telling you and being able to get your social security may have to do with confusion.  This disease that some of us have, likely including yourself comes with some problems thinking.  This is why it is so important for you to have an advocate or significant other to go with you to the doctor or help you apply for social security or whatever social services you are entitled to.  If you don't have anyone, it might be a good idea to go to an office of social services in your city and ask for someone to assist you with these very important life affairs.
The ascites level came from a comprehensive metabolic panel under the associated diagnosis section it reads tobacco use disorder (305.1), Chronic hepatitis c without mention of hepatic coma (070.54), unspecified viral hepatitis c without hepatic coma (070.70), Lumbago (724.2), and other ascites (789.59). Maybe those aren't results I don't know. In the component results section it says the ast and alt are high-ast range is 8-39 and mine is 57 and the alt range is 15-60 and mine is 96. I looked on webmd and it says if those two are high, there is likely liver damage present.

PS: I should mention that if ascites is present, your doctor should be doing other blood tests and a complete physical exam to check for signs of significant damage before recommending biopsy.  
Nikita, your posts are not making much sense.  Please get someone to assist you with the services you need.  Once again, you need to get an advocate to help you.  We can only do so much.
Ascites is due to cirrhosis so your liver is damaged. You may need special medicine and should be on a very low salt diet.

You may also have encephalopathy which can cause unclear thinking and should be treated with lactulose.

You need to see a good liver doctor, a hepatologist.
Make an appointment with one as soon as you can.

Good luck
OH

The Comprehensive Metabolic Panel  (CMP) is used as a broad screening tool to evaluate organ function and check for conditions such as liver disease.

What is the Creatinine result?

What is the Bilirubin result?

What is the Albumin result?

These tests tell more about any liver disease you may have.

As orphanedhawk said, you need to see a experienced and knowledgeable doctor. We can only provide guidance if we have enough information to go on. We are really in the dark here regarding history, current health status and other factors as the CMP is a very basic  group of blood tests.

Good luck.
Hector
the creatinine is .8

the albumin is 3.6

the bilirubin is .3

Thanks for all the help it really does help. I will be checking into finding a hepatologist right away.
I am just really learning how to use computers so my navigation skills on the computer are sometimes troublesome. I also don't have a lot of patience when the computer is doing what I want it to. I get frustated with it and so it will take me a minute to get back to the computer.