Hepatitis C Community
baseline eye exam

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

baseline eye exam

My dr didn't say anything about an eye exam, but I figured since I was having problems I should get one.  I went in today and told them I needed a baseline eye exam cause I was gonna be txing soon.  After we were all done she told me to come back in a month(after starting tx) and get a baseline.  I'm very confused!!  I thought that's what we were doing today!?!?  She also didn't bother fitting me for new glasses even though I told her the ones I have don't fit right.  SO, does the baseline need to be done before or after starting tx?  If after, then how long should I be on it before I get my eyes checked?  Has anyone else been asked to come back for it?  She also told me to call if I had flashes, floaters, or darkening in my vision.  Those are the exact things I told her I was already having????  
I am being blunt here, but I think you need a new opthamologist, one that is familiar with Hep C and the potential eye problems from treatment.

A baseline eye exam is done before treatment starts. That is why it is called baseline and the opthamologist should know that. The baseline exam should include a thorough examination and assessment including a retinal scan. After you start treatment then you should go back in 2-3 months for an exam to be sure everything is still okay and nothing has changed. (How would your doc know if anything had changed from baseline if no baseline exam was done.) Then another exam is done after treatment stops to be sure everything is still okay. Of course, if there are any problems during treatment, then you need to be see on an urgent or emergency basis.

If your doc does not know that he/she needs to do the baseline before starting treatment, I would really question his/her competence, and I would definitely find a new opthamologist.

Best of luck.
PS: I would not worry about new glasses now. Wait until after treatment. My eyesight has changed some during treatment but it may go back to normal after treatment. But maybe it won't. So if I got glasses now, they may not be appropriate for me after I am finished with treatment.
Hi Runs: The baseline eye exam should be done BEFORE treatment is started. Did you see an optometrist or an ophthalmologist? Did the doctor dilate your eyes and document the condition of your retinas? Pegylated interferon has been know to cause cotton wool spots (among other things). It's important to know whether or not a given condition existed before treatment started or if the condition possibly resulted from treatment. Cheers, GB  P.S. Pooh is knowledgable about this topic. Maybe she will see your post and comment.
Possibly this was just an optometrist? If so best to get referred to an opthamologist especially given the problems you have been experiencing with your eyes.

I would personal be reluctant to start INF. therapy with those baseline complications. Sounds like this doctor is  having you "runincircles " a little bit  :).
Good luck ..
Will
would personal be reluctant to start INF. therapy with those baseline complications.
-------------------------------
Sorry ..meant to add to that sentence "without first being checked by an opthamologist"

Best..
Will
Hi I was told when I was diagnossed  by my hematolotist to get eye exam before treatment and  I did. The eye Dr told me to come back in 2 mo after I started unless i had problem so I did. Thank God things was ok and he said come back week after treatment ended unless I saw change before so have app for  week after end of treatment.
When my husband gets home I will post what the receipt says.  Yes they did dilate my eyes and took a picture of my optic nerve(?) and shined a bunch of different colored lights in my eyes.  I'm wondering if we were just not understanding each other correctly.  She said my retina and optic nerve both looked fine.   My husband just keeps telling me I can't second guess every dr I see.  He makes me wonder if I'm just being over paranoid.
good luck with your eyes..you'll most likely be fine....if you have trouble with your eyes on tx they have to compare before tx to whats going on during tx...interferon can be not so good to the eyes...i had to stop tx because of retina damage...but that was at 19 weeks and it is rare...now my eyes are fine 5 + months post tx...good luck...billy
They called me today and explained things to me a little more.  They said they did do a baseline but insurance won't cover both sets of pics in one visit, so I go back monday to get a pic taken of something else.  I know one pic is of the optic nerve but I don't remember the other.  I didn't think any of it would be covered but she said it's covered because I have a diagnosis.  I don't know if she was talking about chronic dry eye or inf tx.  The dr I used to see has moved and I am having trouble locating him so I went to that office because they had my records.  I figure I'll get a copy of my baseline results and hopefully find my old eye dr.  Anybody heard of Christopher Prather, I heard he's practicing in Indy?  As far as the floaters,etc she said it's probably an indication of high bp.  I've only had one high reading and it's been over a year.