Hepatitis C Community
bleeding after blood draw

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

bleeding after blood draw

Last couple of weekly blood draws to check Hmg, I have bled through the bandaid and sleeve down to my wrist.  Scarey!  Any one else have a problem with clotting?  I am on 40,000 Procrit weekly, daily iron and peg, riba, incivek, week 20, Hmg at 11.3.
How about your platelets?
my platelets were good through tx but my blood was like water....it was so thin every night i would bleed a lot from itching....and a few times a lot from getting a blood test
Are you having the blood drawn at a lab or doctor/hematologist office?  Do they compress the site of the puncture for at least a minute and then put a compression wrap around the gauze?  If I don't do this I will bruise from blood pooling under the skin.  

Also, can you explain why you're taking iron?  Iron is not easy on the liver with HCV, but there might be a reason your doctor has advised this.  
I'm picky about my labs. I insist on a tiny butterfly needle and like flcy mentioned, always apply pressure to the spot immediately after. I press the area with the cotton swab, and even for a while on the gauze.
Also, I switch arms, week to week.

Good luck
I also insist on the tiniest butterfly - the one they use for children.  :)  I have one vein to draw blood from.  One.  

I use an insulin pump and a few weeks ago while removing an infusion set (small disk that has adhesive to stick to the skin with a 9 mm teflon cannula) I looked down and saw blood running down my leg.  It had been in my thigh.  That has NEVER happened before.  I was so disturbed by it that I grabbed my phone and took a picture.  

The cannula is inserted into fat and stays there for three days at a time.  If I'd hit a vein with it, I would have known pretty quick.  It must have been when I removed it that I somehow sprung that leak...  It bled for a while, too.  Pressure, ice, still kept bleeding...
Please don't take iron supplements unless your Dr told you to do so for whatever reason.  Iron wreeks havoc on your liver and can increase the progression of liver disease.  

Have a great day!

Jules
  Im curious also about your platelets also. Are you getting bloody tissues when you blow your nose? My numbers have been up and down but I got blood noses/tissues when they were low so I look out for that. Just my experience. Ideally, it would be great to get your blood drawn at the drs. so they could see this for themselves but I know many offices/insurances wont allow it.

Keep pressure on it next time.  I bleed bad too.  Almost ruined a shirt yesterday after having my Hbg checked.  Looked down and there was blood everywhere.  Had to go into the library just to run water on it. PRESSURE!  That's the ticket.  Good luck.  Beyondmwd