Hepatitis C Community
brushing teeth

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

brushing teeth

It hurts to brush my teeth, I'm 2 months into triple 48weeks, is this normal?
Linda, I had the same problem during treatment. I switched from my regular toothpastes and mouthwashes to Biotene brand toothpastes and mouthwashes. I also ate yogurt. Those two treatments did the trick for me. There were a couple of times when I switched back to my old toothpaste, and the problem would start up again.

If you don't like yogurt, I think acidophilus drops from a health food store will also treat the problem. I looked at that option, but it was a little more money than I wanted to pay.
I had the same problem and started using baking soda and hydrogen peroxide mixed in a paste and with a rubber tip put it between teeth and gums.  It hurts but once the teeth start to respond, it stops hurting.  Seems bacteria can cause your teeth/gums to do wierd things.  I swear by the soda/peroxide treatment.  My teeth are not hurting any longer.  I think this treatment is hard on your teeth and gums.
Good luck...sounds like the yogurt and Biotene toothpaste/mouthwash seemed to work well also.  
My husband had some dental problems during triple tx w/Incivek.  It appeared to be due to the changes in the salivary glands as well as the low WBC while on treatment.  I bought the biotene products for him (lozenges, mouthwash, toothpaste, spray, etc.) to help with the dry mouth.  He had to have some dental work done, so I asked the dentist to put him on an antibiotic before the work.  Also, watch for signs of an oral yeast infection ("thrush") that might require an antifungal medication.  Not sure what the signs are, but I think it involves pain, bleeding, and possibly white spots.  I think there are over the counter treatments for thrush, but your best bet would be to ask your doc for a prescription if indeed it's thrush.
Advocate1955
I change to a soft brush during tx. I have noticed the same that my gum hurt when I brush, nothing extreme and I try not to brush too herd as I do not want any bleeding
The biotene products are helpful. The teeth seem to become very sensitive. But that can change as sx do on this triple therapy.
Toward the end of my tx i ran out of my biotene toothpaste, and used regular; it burned the heck out of my mouth. Now I can use regular again, but I do like the gentle properties of the biotene.

I have heard of thrush on this forum, so use advocates advice if you have those symptoms.
C
I should have clarified that the yogurt/and or acidophilus drops are natural rememdies for oral thrush.

This is from the Mayo Clinics website:

"For healthy adults and children
Adults or children who have oral thrush but are otherwise healthy can try one of these:

Eating unsweetened yogurt
Taking acidophilus capsules or liquid
Yogurt and acidophilus don't destroy the fungus, but they can help restore the normal bacterial flora in your body. If your infection persists, your doctor will prescribe an antifungal medication.

For adults with weakened immune systems
Most often, your doctor will recommend the following:

Antifungal medication. This comes in several forms, including lozenges, tablets or a liquid that you swish in your mouth and then swallow.
Amphotericin B. Candida albicans can become resistant to antifungal medications, especially in people with late-stage HIV infection. This drug may be used when other medications aren't effective.
Some antifungal medications may cause liver damage. For this reason, your doctor will likely perform blood tests to monitor your liver function, especially if you require prolonged treatment or have a history of liver disease."

website: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/oral-thrush/DS00408/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs