Hepatitis C Community
can hep c be transmiited while on menstrual

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

i am a woman who has the hep c virus. i had sex with my boyfriend while i was on my menstural cycle how likely could he contract the virus?
As long as he is not bleeding or has fresh open sores or cuts which is highly unlikely  the risk is the same, very low.... Best to you
you should be more responsible if you have active Hep C virus. As much as people want to say there is slight risk among monogamous relationships it is still possible, and DOES happen! Especially with blood involved. You should insist your partner wear a condom for his safety, blood involved or not.
Condoms are Only necessary if blood is present.

http://www.natap.org/2005/HCV/033005_02.htm
Norah A. Terrault, M.D., M.P.H. 1
"The couple should be counseled that the risk of sexual transmission is very low and because of this very low risk, use of condoms is not specifically recommended. However, due to an absence of information on certain types of sexual practices, those engaged in sexual practices that may be more permissive of transmission, such as anal intercourse or sex with trauma to genital mucosa, should be advised to use condoms during these activities. I also recommend the use of condoms if the couple is having sex during a woman's menses. For HCV-infected persons with multiple sexual partners, use of condoms is recommended not only for prevention of HCV transmission but also for all sexually transmitted diseases. Finally, for those HCV-infected persons with new sexual relationships that evolve to longer-term monogamous relationships, specific recommendations regarding if and when condom use can be discontinued are not available. Ultimately, each monogamous couple must decide upon whether a "low risk" of transmission translates into a need of condom use or not. Physicians can facilitate this decision by assisting patients and their partners to interpret the available data regarding sex and HCV, and providing them with the most current guidelines regarding prevention of sexual transmission."

However I agree since there *was* blood present you put your partner at risk.
You may find this podcast interesting and informative.

http://hepatitiscnewdrugs.blogspot.ca/2013/04/aasld-podcast-sexual-transmission-of.htmlRisk of hepatitis C transmission low in longtime couples

BY MICHELE G. SULLIVAN IMNG Medical News

Heterosexual partners rarely infected.

The risk of sexually transmitting a chronic hepatitis C infection to a long-term monogamous heterosexual partner is very low, averaging just about 1% per year. That risk level works out to a transmission rate of about one in every 190,000 sexual contacts, Dr. Norah Terrault and her colleagues reported in Hepatology (2013;57:881-9).

The cross-sectional study also found that no one sexual practice – including anal intercourse or inter- course during menses – significantly increased the risk of transmission, wrote Dr. Terrault of the University of California, San Francisco.

The findings can be used to provide “unambiguous and reassuring counseling messages,” she and her coinvestigators noted. The study included 500 subjects with chronic HCV infections, and their sexual partners. All couples reported longtime, monogamous relationships (median duration, 15 years); the relation- ship duration varied widely, spanning 2-52 years. Each of the partners was interviewed separately about their sexual contacts and practices.

Will

Will
And the reason Dr. Terrault is correct is it's blood to blood, why do we seem to keep forgetting this?
Yes the key word is "blood". If it is present then it increases the chance of passing the virus considerbly. Even something as simple as the partner has a cut on their hand and gets the menstrual blood on it.

Bottom line is if you have a virus that has any chance of transmission why not err on safe side and use protection?

Actually some blame of not using protection goes on the partner. If they know about it and still have unprotected sex then nothing can be said. If it is hidden from them it is a serious crime and person can be prosecuted in most states!
I agree that caution is always wise when there is blood involved, as a matter of fact I found it even safer to lock my wife in the basement during that "period". I found this to be a lot safer for myself....:)
LOL, Candyman is a very bad man.
  Yes, yes, if your Mate/Partner/Spouse is on her period, make sure to cover all your cuts up, with  band-aids...well for that matter,it is a good idea to protect any cut from out-side bacteria, virus, fungi or parasite...with a band-aid.
  In terms of "blood to blood" contact, there is a far greater risk, from what I gather from reading statistics,  of catching Hep C from the kind of blood-to-blood contact which occurs, from putting a syringe under the skin, into the blood-stream, and then using that same infected needle, on another persons veins...this contact is occuring under the skin, where the air doesn't hit.
  Yes, Hep C can live on a surface for up to a certain amount of days, andmuch longer, in a syringe. But Hep C infection occurs much more often, with sharing I.V. equipment, because of the fact that a needle is being poked under the skin.
   I am guessing that if it was very easy to catch Hep C from menstrual blood hitting an abraded penis, that we would be seeing tons of Hep C amongst monogamous couples, and we just dont see that a whole lot.

Maybe this would be a good ideal???

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Firefighters-Dressed-in-Hazmat-Suits-Posters_i8616923_.htm?AID=96280778&ProductTarget=53105754223
  Lol, it reminds me of when I first showed up at my job, as a Personal Care Attendant...dressed in steel-toed boots, clumping around, and I accidentally poured my clients bed-pan into her sink, instead of the toilet.
   I dont think I aquired  Hep C on the job, but a did catch a case of diarrhea once, after a clean-up I did, although I wore gloves, and washed my hands thoroughly, so the stomach virus must've been somewhat air-borne. Hep C is NOT air-borne