Hepatitis C Community
cat scratch & hep c

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

cat scratch & hep c

Can you catch hep C from a catch scratch?  
This was a topic long ago, I think that if the cat scratches someone with hep c, and there is blood on the cats nails and it scratches someone else, then I think that could be a risk or a mode of transmission. Makes you wonder doesnt it.

Hope all is well with you.

Linda
Hi Hippygem thanks..I going to the RAH Monday because my ALT AST and AFP have risen quite a bit in just one week.  Trying to be positive (appear so on the outside anyway!!).  I apologise for touch typing and not checking the spelling before I posted!! I hope the seminar went well.
The seminar went well, it would be good for people contemplating treatment, and answered many questions that covered all aspects.  I posted about it in the oz forum and a link to a pdf file which covers all that was discussed.

Would be nice to see you at the support group some time, the next one is 27th march, dont be shy and I wont let on to anyone that we have chatted on the forums etc, if that is a problem for you.  They are a great bunch of people, and you will have a good laugh as well as become more informed.  I am sure that you have a lot you could share with the others, we all help each other and your opinions and experiences would be most appreciated.

Do you have any stage of fibrosis, considering that your ALTs are high?

Take care

Linda
Cats can have hepatitis and die from it.
I was in the healing section of my Vets office visiting my cat who had an arm amputated due to bone cancer. There was a lady there visiting her cat that she said had Hep. The next morning I stopped in to visit again and that same cat with the Hep was dead.
I do not know if Hep can be transmitted from cat to human or the other way. I
"Hepatitis" is a catch-all phrase meaning inflammation of the liver from any cause, not just from a virus. So, yes, cats can have hepatitis, but my understanding is that they can't have hepatitis C or any other type of viral hepatitis that can be transmitted to humans. I believe other than humans, only chimpanzees or apes can become infected with hepatitis c, and therefore are being used for hep c research.

-- Jim
I believe Jim is 100% right.

Hep = regarding the hepatic system
itis = inflammation

It is a catch all just meaning inflammation of the organ of the hepatic system.

HepC being a blood borne virus is a completely different animal altogether and I don't believe that dogs or cats would catch it but chimpanzees being so close in relation to us could.

Like dogs/cats don't get the flu.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_scratch_fever
Hi Sass.   Cat lover.  Dog lover.  Animal lover!!  :)   I was once worried if my cat scratched me and then turned around and scratched my son (or someone else)  - could THEY get Hep C?    I asked my doc.    He said no way.  Also, as Jim pointed out, cats do not get hepatitis C.   Sure, they get liver diseases and "hepatitis", but I don't think there's ever been a cat diagnosed with Hepatitis C.   I've been scratched so many times (decades of scratches) working rescue and just owning cats, and no one in my family has Hep C, and they've all been scratched 100s of times, too.   The only thing I think you should be concerned about as far as transmission of disease from a cat to a human would be rabies  (make sure your pets are vaccinated).  Cat Scratch Fever is another thing to be cautious of,  especially if one is immunocompromised.   I have met one person who was very sick with ESLD  (from Hep C)  who did get Cat Scratch Fever (but he was very very sick already).  He recovered from it.   He later died from total organ failure from Hep C  (not from the cat scratch fever).  As far as Hep C being transmitted, though, I don't think you have a thing to worry about.  

I can't resist.....

Ahhhh... but dogs & cats "DO" Definately get Colds & "Some" Flu Varietys...
Not to get technical... I just "used" to be a vet tech & I just happened to know  that is a common misconception... some even get depression issues too...LoL

Oh Anyway, That has nothing to do with the subject ya'll were talking about...
I just started laughin & wanted to tell you!
{{Blushing}}...LoL
;)

I have hep-c and my daughter wants a cat/ kitten is this
a bad idea?

thank you in advance
                                                                   mom

No known transmission routes from CRITTERS

It's theoretically possible...

But probably not a big percentage of a chance.

No more than just living in the same house with your family.

I have a cat --- a dog --- a hubby, a daughter and my husband's adult son (whom I fondly refer to as my second hubby) ---- ocassional fish - and lotsa sports and bleeding going on at my house.

I'm the only one who is HCV.

No one else has caught it.

Hugs --- enjoy the kitten ---- if you get scratched --- wash the cat's claws gently -- and have a GREAT TIME ---- try to keep nice curtains and couches.... *GRIN*

Meki
According to Ted Nugent, You can get Cat Scratch Fever, but he never mentions Hepatitis C. According to emergency room techs, cat bites and scratches are very dirty and I personally ended up in the emergency room when I was washing my mom's cat and she bit me hard.

However, cat bites are not the dirtiest according to the techs. The dirtiest and most likely to infect you with bacteria.... human bites. Get it checked out, get the cat inoculated after you “correct” the cat, as told in The Shining by Grady to Jack. Otherwise, it's up to you.

Magnum