Hepatitis C Community
chances in the given scenario!

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

chances in the given scenario!

chance of transmission of getting hepatitis c from the scenario!

i shared a water bottle with some one who had cuts in his mouth( bleeding)...and has hepatitis C (chronic)...
i realized this after i saw a red stain in the water of the water bottle while drinking.
please i m worried.
what is the chance of me getting it?
If you didn't have cuts on your lips I doubt very much this will be a problem for you. This virus is hard to transfer -  requires blood to blood. My husband got it back in 1979 as a result of blood transfusions. Now blood is tested for it before it can be used for transfusions. It may help you to know that despite not knowing he had Hep C for 32 years,  I am negative. That should show you how difficult it is to get this virus from an infected person.
If you need peace of mind, get tested for it. Should it turn out you are positive for Hep C, there is no better time to find this out as there are now meds available that can CURE it. Hallelujah!
Nan
if i have cuts..then what are the chances..low...or high?
hi and welcome i agree with Nan my hubby had it for 30 odd yrs i got tested for peace of mind and yes i was and still am negetive I really dont think you have anything to worry about. Good luck Jules
so you think this scenario is zero risk.??????
I think it's low risk but I have a feeling you won't have peace unless you get tested.  It's a simple test and worth the trouble if you can help you put this behind you.

Good luck
Nan
last question...low risk like what...one in 10 one in thousand..????
I stand by my response.  Not sure what your purpose is in pushing for a specific risk factor from people who are not researchers or scientists but only offering help based on personal experience.  Best of luck to you.
Nan
Welcome new member and we welcome your question and concerns
I don't know your personal situation nor what you know about Hepatitis C  It can be real scary with fear and anxiety when a person first becomes aware of a possible encounter(exposure) to a potentially dangerous virus.

But after taking a breath and getting some information about risks from major heath websites and non medical provider suggestions from those like the members here. You need to decide whether to consult a medical professional as they can give you medical advice and diagnose your medical condition.          

Someone done all of the above including the medical provider's recommendations.  They hear the risk is low and they get a basic test after a couple of months that confirms no infection for peace of mind.

THIS IS NOT FOR ANYONE IN PARTICULAR
If fear and anxiety for someone persists for some one with a low risk over a period of time of a few months and especially if new situations of low risk are encountered and it begins to impede your daily life it could indicate a potential mental health issue.  

You are not alone we get many of these. The example below doesn't mean  that member who ask a similar question has a mental health issue.  

BTW http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/HEP-C-RISK-AT-BARBER-SHOP-COMB-ONLY/show/2075935

BTW to ALL I just learned a new term today ‘Worried Well’
Officials pore over test results for W. Va. water tainted by chemical spill
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/12/us/west-virginia-contaminated-water/
"We've had a lot of worried-well calls," Dr. Rahul Gupta of the Kanawha-Charleston Health Department said Saturday. He cited complaints of irritation of the skin, throat, chest and stomach that some residents have linked to possible exposure to the chemical.

So i looked it up it's a buzzword
http://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/buzzword/entries/worried-well.html
Worried well is not a new expression in English, but until now has remained relatively obscure

http://************.com/lib/tackling-the-fears-of-the-worried-well/0001227
The “worried well,” it would appear, are everywhere: An estimated one in four physician appointments is taken by a healthy person.

From what have read continued fear and anxiety can cause physical medical conditions or worsen existing ones besides the mental heath conditions.  Of course serious real medical physical conditions can cause mental heath conditions of fear and anxiety.
********************* oops must be offering a service or something in violation here I don't know
"You are not alone we get many of these."

Whose 'we'?  
In all fairness, there really isn't a royal 'we'.