Hepatitis C Community
chances of false positive

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

chances of false positive

I am a health professional and have been in contact with a lot of people who have hepatitis C.  I recently had some blood work done at work and they told me that my blood was reactive to Hepatitis C. What are the chances it is a false positive? And if it is positive do I have to tell my employer?
This means at least that you have the antibodies of the disease - approx 20% of the people who are infected are able to have their own immune sytem kill the disease.  You need to have a PCR test to determine if you have a viral oad - this will tell you if you have the disease or not............so don't go telling anyone anything until you find out that fact!
thanks. had the blood work done today. now i get to wait 3 days.and i havent told anyone except my fiance.  
A 'reactive' screeening test should be confirmed by  the 'Riba' test.  The screening

test is VERY sensitive and may react to antibodies other than Hcv.  Riba is VERY

specific for Hcv.  If your signal ratio on the screening test was low (<3 or so) there is

a good chance it is a false pos.  A neg Riba proves the screening test was a false pos.

Most people at low risk for Hcv who have a reactive screening test have a neg Riba,

which means NO hcv antibodies.  Ask your Pcp for the riba test.

the chance of it being a false positive is only 5%. it is a very reliable test. Hopefully you just have the antibodies and fought off the virus.

best of luck
well I just found out the I am postivie for Hepatits C. My doctor is sending me to another doctor. what happens next?