chlorine
I swim for a half hour everyday at the YMCA .  Is there any danger in that much exposure to chlorine
id be more worried about those 4 guys that sing that song...".AT THE WMCA"...im kiddn.....yes....your skin is like sponge...it absorbs it big time into the body...just google it up
opps...YMCA...not WMCA...im losing it
our skin is worse that a sponge...if you even rub  a hit of LSD on you skin...you will see pink animals
Body absorbs 5lb of make-up chemicals a year

Women who use make-up on a daily basis are absorbing almost 5lb of chemicals a year into their bodies, it is claimed.

Many use more than 20 different beauty products a day striving to look their best while nine out of 10 apply make-up which is past its use by date.

Dependence on cosmetics and toiletries means that a cocktail of 4lb 6oz of chemicals a year is absorbed into the body through the skin.

Some synthetic compounds involved have been linked to side effects ranging from skin irritation to premature ageing and cancer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1555173/Body-absorbs-5lb-of-make-up-chemicals-a-year.html

I used to take a water aerobics class to see if it helped with my joint and muscle pain a couple years ago. It DID help in those areas but I had a hard time with the fumes in the pool area.......feeling somewhat toxic afterwards, so I quit the classes. I think at the time this pool was over-chlorinated. At my old house, we had a pool and kept the additives to a minimum and I never had any problems there.

If the chlorine level is less in your pool and your tolerating it ok, I guess I would weigh the benefits of exercise and doing something you enjoy.

Pam

We have a pool and the chemicals are kept at a very acceptable level.  Prior to txing, I would swim laps every morning before going to work.  This summer I was unable to swim because we should avoid too much sun exposure while txing.  Never had any adverse reaction from the pool chemicals nor has anyone in my family.  The exercise is extremely beneficial and certainly outweights the risks of chlorine exposure.
There are conditioners you can add to your pool water to keep your skin from becoming dry or irritated if you have sensitive skin.  Because of public usage, a facility like the YMCA would add more chlorine to kill germs.  Kids like to pee in the pool!!  I would never avoid a delightful experiences such as pool outings with family and friends because I feared the danger of chlorine.  There are many things in life that present much more hazzard.  If you enjoy swimming at the Y, go for it.  We only live once.

Trinity
If you're used to swimming in a chlorine pool, can keep it up during treatment, don't have an unexpected reaction as a result of the meds, then it can be a real reward for your health. I think moderation are important - no hundred laps, since intense exercise can temporarily suppress your immune system. And as Trin, says, stay out of the sun but presumably the Y pool is indoors.

One thing about chlorine is that it prevents pond scum.
I miss not having a pool, I have always swam,     the best exercise there is! port,
I swam throughout tx and it was fine.  Besides, chlorine kills algae ~ very important.
justme53 ok,  If, as you said, you have

"fumes in the pool area.......feeling somewhat toxic afterwards"

then  their pool maintenance company is trying to either save money on chemicals or doesn't know what it is doing. Don't swim in that pool, it is probably full of microorganisms. Not good for people on TX with low ANC.

JFYI,
If a pool smells of 'chlorine' its from a improperly treated pool, not to much chlorine. In fact,  not enough chlorine at the right times.

The smell is from Chloramines.

Pool must be tested for free chlorine and super chlorinated to remove Chloramines.

A properly treated pool will not cause any health issues and will have
NO chlorine 'smell'.

Chloramines are the result of insufficient free chlorine and usually result in a strong chlorine odor in and around the swimming pool. Chloramines are formed as a product of nitrogen and active chlorine hypochlorous acid. The nitrogen is most commonly introduced into the pool water as ammonia in the form of sweat and  urine.

Problems for chloramines (a pool that 'smells from chlorine')
Chloramines do not sanitizers well and have a very gaseous tendency.
chloramines can cause the following
    red, burning eyes;
    burning sensation in nose, throat and lungs;
    dry, itchy skin and dry hair;
    breathing difficulty leading to "swimmers' asthma" particularly in young children.
Bad stuff.

Do not swim in, or let your children in, if pool and water,doesn't look clean and clear with a sparkle, with very little or preferably NO odor, and diffidently NO 'fumes'

apache
Yup, pretty much what I said. Bad news with those mismanaged pools which is why I stopped going. Some hotel pools, especially the smaller hot tubs are bad news too.

We enjoyed our home pool for many years during the summer months with no problems whatsoever. Swimming is a great whole body exercise.

Pam
I too have been concerned and love to swim.

I have asked liver specialists and general drs. the same question.  The answer is no, there is not significant dangers to a swim because of chlorine.  (There is chlorine in our drinking water and home showers). Just don't drink the pool water(!--at least not too many swallows) and enjoy the wonderful cardio benefits.

I myself have started up swimming again after getting all the answers I wanted.