Hepatitis C Community
cirrhosis and more treatment confusion

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

cirrhosis and more treatment confusion

hi all, sorry for this long post but i'm confused about my diagnosis/prognosis and whether to follow my specialists advice to try the Pegasys (Roche) when it becomes available later this year. i just have so many questions and no answers. i was diag'd about 2 yrs ago with diabetes and they found the hcv (genotype 3, lucky i guess) at that time doing all the bloodwork. since then i've had a biopsy, bloodwork, and 6 months of what at first appeared to be successful peg-intron alpha2-b (schering-p) combo with rib. but no sustained response - it's back. at the time of the treatment my specialist said blood and histology (biopsy) indicated that i had grade 2 - stage 4 fibrosis = cirrhosis (or alternativel Childs class A grade cirrhosis) and chronic hcv. actually the combo was contraindicated due to the cirrhosis but we felt it best to go ahead and give it our best shot to minimize the chance of developing liver cancer given my strong family history of cancer (grandfather, mother lost at 54, etc). since i had a pretty moderately difficult time with side effects in the last round i'm hesitant to put my family or myself through this again. i'm still working full time and at this time i'm what they call compensating (or compensated) well but am very tired most of the time (good for about 6-8 hrs after 9-10 hrs of sleep) don't have a clue as to when this may change or what the prognosis might be. i AM going to get a second opinion next month just because in my own mind it's a good idea and maybe a sanity check. but i really like and trust my primary and my specialist