Hepatitis C Community
cirrhosis

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

cirrhosis

Is there a difference between frank cirrhosis and cirrhosis?  
There are different methods used to stage cirrhosis; admittedly it can be confusing. Regardless of what scale is used, the most important distinction is whether or not the cirrhosis is compensated or decompensated.

With compensated disease, the liver still performs it’s intended functions; it filters blood and synthesizes proteins, hormones, vitamins, stuff like that. A person can live for years in some cases quite comfortably in this case.

Decompensated disease can be characterized by ascites, encephalopathy, and edema. The architecture of the organ has changed radically, and the patient will eventually require a transplant in the future, regardless of their (in our case) HCV status.

One method that is used extensively is the Child Turcotte Pugh scale. Child class A cirrhosis is compensated disease, while B and C are considered decompensated liver disease, or ESLD (end stage liver disease).

More at Janis and Friends:

http://janis7hepc.com/Cirrhosis.htm

While it’s good to be informed, it’s also possible to scare the bejeepers out of yourself unnecessarily. Try to find that balance while you’re waiting for the doc, okay :o)?

Bill
The difference between which types of cirrhosis?

Hectorsf
I believed it's a term used to indicate that biopsy reveals the degree of fibrosis in the liver indicates stage 4 and cirrhosis is present.
Stage 1 fibrosis is in the early stages being confined to the portal tracts, intermediate stage being 2-3  (expansion of the portal tracts and bridging between portal areas or to the central area, and late being stage 4 is frank cirrhosis characterized by architectural disruption of the liver with fibrosis.

Trinity
I've been trying to learn about cirrhois in case that is what the sonagram shows.  I know that there are different causes of cirrhosis but are there different types?  The more I read the less I understand.  

More at Janis and Friends:

http://janis7hepc.com/Cirrhosis.htm

Bill