Hepatitis C Community
cocaine and hep

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

cocaine and hep

I would like to know the risk involved in sharing coke straws.
I have heard that there is a risk but it seems that doctors on this forum state that it is only a risk if there is visible blood on the straw and you injure your nastril with the same straw.

So i have done many hep tests in the past all neg
I thing i have shared straws (only with friends not strangers)
like 2 times after my last hep test
These times i did not see any evident blood or injured my nastril.
So in my understanding it would be nearly imposible to aquire hep c in the same way that is imposile to get hiv this way.
Can you provide some information?

Thank you!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
My advice is ..as long as you are snorting dope...  keep getting tested.
If you dodge the bullet and test NEG. great ..if it comes up POS  you can begin treatmet like many are here..
Best to you..
Will

http://addiction-dirkh.blogspot.ca/2009/04/snorting-drugs-may-give-you-hepatitis-c.html

I n the study of 38 intranasal drug users, all of whom had active Hepatitis C infections, “researchers found trace amounts of blood in 74 percent of mucus samples and on 8 percent of the straws used for sniffing. In addition, they detected HCV in 13 percent of mucus samples and on 5 percent of the straws.” The Hepatitis C virus is capable of surviving on surfaces for as long as 16 hours. The scientists conclude that the results, while preliminary, “lend important virological and clinical support to the intranasal HCV transmission hypothesis.”

In fact, the authors of the study suggest that the findings are quite likely conservative, given that the Hepatitis C virus is more likely to “occur in the nasal secretions with greater frequency during episodes of active drug sniffing, which may exacerbate the discharge of nasal fluids and blood.”

Transmission of HCV by sharing bills and straws is more prevalent then once thought.
If you are lucky enough to test Neg again then carry your own straw. Problem solved.
Best of luck.
I took a look at your profile where it shows posts in the last couple of  months all over the forum, on STD, HIV, Herpes, Erectile dysfunction, and more.
The more recent posts cover the topics of Cialis and Marijuana, sex with a virgin, sex toys, herpes, love dolls, pimples on your penis, and now,  here on Hep C, cocaine and straws.

There are people here who are truly sick, dealing with difficult symptoms, as well as side effects from treatment.
If your problem is extreme anxiety then I suggest you stop posting all over the forum and go straight to the OCD  forum where you can get help for your problem.
mike716 SVR May, 2015 (Sovaldi+Olys... Comment
Dee1956, and 10356 commented on 10356's status
surfer90265 uploaded new photos
Track your weight over time