Hepatitis C Community
daily ribavirin and interferon treatment

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Is there anyone out there currently on a DAILY regimen of ribavirin AND interferon?  I am a caregiver for a friend who is currently on this regimen and  it's difficult to find any information on side effects etc. for a daily treatment.  I n addition, he is starting bi-weekly Neupigen as well, and the side effects seems to be getting worse.  Thanks in advance.
The interferon you are talking about is called Infergen, Consensus Interferon.  There haVe been plenty of people in here over the last years that have done this form of treatment however most people just do the weekly interferon and riba combo. Google up Infergen and you'll have it. Unfortunately most of the sides are the same as with weekly - but they can be more hard core.

The neupogen will work fast to help fix up the white blood cells - Epogen (brand name Procrit) is what we take for the hemolytic anemia it takes longer to work (a few weeks) but it quite effective and has saved many of us from having to drop out.

I don't know which particular sides you are speaking about but yes most of us have had them - different ones at different times. It seems like as soon as you beat one another one pops up.

As he is on infergen I guess he had already treated at least once before but failed? How long will they have your friend on treatment?
Is he drinking enough water? That makes a big difference with the side effects. They say to drink 1/2 of your body weight in ounces, but some people do better with even more.

(For instance if someone weighs 120 lbs, they should drink 60 ozs a day.)