Hepatitis C Community
death & hep c

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

death & hep c

I have stage 4 hep c and stage 4 cirross.  I have underogne interferon treatment for hep c.  It didn't work.  during the treatment I had to have blood transfustions and my bosy could not handle the treatment..  my numbers are now whorse than they were before the treatment.  I know i will die, but what will the symptoms be when I start the process of liver failure?
Thank-you for any advise or heads-up you can give
what about a tranplant,i dont have any other advice but that,sorry.
i hope u can get a new liver.all the best
Im so sorry,you asked for some info on  what will the symptoms be when I start the process of liver failure?
This was hard for me to post as i dont want to offend you or anyone as this is a very sensitive topic,heres good link to learn on the topic

http://www.growthhouse.org/mortals/mort2514.html

"I May everyone find peace in God. Let us all embrace the divine, regardless of religion. May we all find the fulfillment that the divine has to offer."

Do you have stage 4 liver disease/fibrosis or cirrhosis class C? There are three stages of cirrhosis. Do you have varices, ascites, excessive ammonia?  Please, tell us more about your labs and symptoms. It is hard to understand what exactly your situation is.

But no matter what, please, do not despair. Failing interferon treatment doesn't mean you are going to die. Many people try it and fail. You are not alone in this.

Does your doctor say anything about transplant? It is often done when liver fails.
Yes I often wonder myself about this question, what level of cirrhosis are you.Is your liver still compensated, if so there is always hope and if not what about a transplant. Can you give more lab details.
Take care
Hammond
I had a live liver transplant in April. The surgeon said (after the successful tp) I was living on only 8% of my liver and had 4-5 weeks to live.
Prior to this, I was still living at home, taken care of by my spouse. I was taking lactulose for encephalopathy and eating a very restricted diet.
I slept a lot, had ascites and was in no pain other than occasional leg cramps.

Now, 6months after my tp, I can walk 3+ miles, eat anything, and my brain is functioning again.

Like you, I thought about death.
I accepted it in my own way but didn't feel like my time was up.

Tps are great! I have a happy healthy new liver! And so can you.
OH
I'm sorry to hear that you had such a hard time with an unsuccessful treatment -- but it doesn't mean you've hit the end of the rope.  My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 (cirrhosis) over 2 years ago, and he is still doing well -- so don't lose hope.

The things doctors told him to look for as 'warning signs' of liver failure are the following:
1. Vomiting of blood (caused by varices from increasing blood pressure in the liver and requires IMMEDIATE attention);
2. Swelling, especially of the extremeties, like ankles and legs (called edema);
3. Swelling of the abdomen/sudden weight gain (caused by liver retaining fluid, called ascites);
4. Extreme forgetfulness/confusion or loss of cognition (called encephalopathy); and/or
5. Yellowing of skin or eyes (jaundice).

My husband has been stage 4 for at least 2-1/2 years (probably quite longer), has had hcc diagnosed and removed, and is still considered Class A cirrhosis.  He has not has any of the major danger signs of decompensation -- we keep reminding ourselves that yes, he will die, but because he's human, not necessarily because he has cirrhosis -- the battle is not yet lost.  I am aware of  a number of people who have lived for years with cirrhosis without progressing to liver failure, and those who do still have a chance through liver transplant  -- there are a number of members here who are post-transplant as well, as you can see.

There are things you can do to help slow down/manage the progression of your cirrhosis -- reduce salt and fat intake, manage your fluids in moderation, exercise, and have regular 'cirrhosis' check-ups as recommended by your doctor (ultrasound, endoscopies, regular blood tests, etc.).  If you maintain your liver functions, you may be eligible to treat again with more effective medicines that are expected to be approved in the near future.  

Keep on keeping on, and know you're not alone. ~eureka